John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I worked at a hi end hi fi store back about 42 years ago, my boss and I discussed this, while doing a custom installation. He said that after a couple of drinks, everything seems to sound OK. We were installing a Mac C22 with a Marantz 16 amplifier, connected to K-horns with 16 ga zip cord. About 1 year later, after moving into this household, I was accidently 'dosed' with 'LDS' at a party in the Haight Ashbury in SF, and when I came home, I was really 'flying'.
The lady of the house, seeing my situation, kept me calm by playing classical music all night. The young lady I picked up at the party, went to bed (alone) in my bedroom, and I listened to music all night lying on the living room floor. In this case, I could NOT tell live from recorded that night. I could 'fill in' that well, but never again.

Last edited:
Well it looks like the 'satisfied' have taken over the thread again. They take 'perfect' pictures with their $100 digital cameras and criticize the earlier efforts of Ansel Adams because his pictures were all black and white. Then they express satisfaction with their sound recordings as being virtually perfect, while the rest of us, with some of the most expensive digital recording equipment presently made, find flaws. Does anyone understand why this is so? '-)

It's because they are happy with their lives and the rest of us are frustrated mf's. :D

Well it looks like the 'satisfied' have taken over the thread again.

Does anyone understand why this is so?

as there are three sides to every story,

my first impulse is to blame 'marketing' .

reading through the posts, its obviously sy's fault .

the Truth is -

"we are bought and sold into sin"

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````

now if you just take those '901's',

turn 'em around,

add woofers, and tweeters,

and stack them up ...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

John,

About 1 year later, after moving into this household, I was accidently 'dosed' with 'LDS' at a party in the Haight Ashbury in SF, and when I came home, I was really 'flying'.

Yeah. I remember when we used to head to the Tresor in Berlin at least two times a month (I'd have gone more myself, but I was DJ'ing and running clubs so not many nights available to raise the roof) in the early 90's, drop a few tabs of Acid at a caffee befors. Add the trancy techno music, the lights and strobes and you are flying higher than a kite and even higher than a SR-71 or Mig-35...

The lady of the house, seeing my situation, kept me calm by playing classical music all night. The young lady I picked up at the party, went to bed (alone) in my bedroom, and I listened to music all night lying on the living room floor. In this case, I could NOT tell live from recorded that night. I could 'fill in' that well, but never again.

Great story about the music, but I bet the young lady was quite outraged... Hopping on the good foot and doing the bad thing can be quite something if you are zonked out on acid...

I must admit, I never tried to listen to high end system while high on something, I normally use the high end audio system and music to give my brain the incentive to dose me up with some serotonin, dopamine and other nice stuff our brains makes to get me high. I guess this does give "High End Audio" a totally new meaning, for some at least...

Turn on, tune in and drop out...

PS,

I do not recommend the use of recreational drugs of any kind, including nicotine, caffeine and alcohol to anyone. I do however believe the choice should be up to the individual, not to governments and criminal syndicates.

Some drugs other than the legal ones listed above are banned in many jurisdictions and being caught with them can carry heavy sentences. Many drugs on the illegal market are of very poor quality and often adulterated. They can be extremely dangerous to the point of killing you or giving you permanent disabilities.

Some are extremely addictive and can totally mess up your life, irrecoverably so (I had friends that got hooked)...

So if you value your freedom and health, don't do illegal drugs.

End of sermon.

Ciao T

That's OK, it is my business to care about extra audio quality. If I were a chef, I would not eat the way I do. If I were a winemaker, I would not drink the cognac that I do. If I were an auto designer, I would not drive an old Porsche 944. My friends, even today drive Porsche Boxters, dual turbos, and Bentleys. But as I am an audio designer, I will only worry about what I specialize in, and give way to the finest quality and performance in other areas. What amazes me is that so many people are completely pleased with their audio systems. It reminds me of some kid who thinks his dad's ford pickup is the greatest ride in his conceptual reality. '-)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My point was that while the old recordings are not technically perfect, they have a charm and a life many modern recordings lack.
Despite, or perhaps because of, all the hiss, buzz, wow, poor FR, overdriven mics, overdriven channels, etc in the old recordings, they have a life and humanity that seems lacking in modern "perfect" recordings.

Go to your next concert alone. Really alone - you as the only audience member. It will be perfect; no coughs, no talking, no sneezing, no fidgeting, no drunken yells by your fellow audience members, no beer spilled down your back. Perfect. And how much fun do you think it will be?

Is it perfection we seek, or an emotional connection to the music?

Go to your next concert alone. Really alone - you as the only audience member. It will be perfect; no coughs, no talking, no sneezing, no fidgeting, no drunken yells by your fellow audience members, no beer spilled down your back. Perfect. And how much fun do you think it will be?

Is it perfection we seek, or an emotional connection to the music?

I don't get the analogy (and that's happened to me a few times!). Why are the two mutually exclusive?

It's the job of the musicians to create the emotional connection, not the equipment. The very best shows I've ever seen had, frankly, lousy sound. I would have liked the sound to be better, but that wouldn't have made the emotional connection one whit better.

Some are extremely addictive and can totally mess up your life, irrecoverably so (I had friends that got hooked)...

I had a very interesting conversion about this very subject last Thursday. Studies show that only about 20% of people become addicted to drugs, and it is hereditary. This was something I had not expected.

I know someone will demand a reference and I do not have one. The person I was discussing this with can be found here: Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital - Find a Doctor

I trust him so I did not ask for more proof.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I don't get the analogy (and that's happened to me a few times!). Why are the two mutually exclusive?

They aren't. Nor would sitting in the audience by yourself be totally devoid of fun. But - for me at least - many technically perfect recordings sound lifeless. They may have spectacular sound quality, but they don't live and I don't come back to them. But I tend to prefer live concert recordings anyway. They sound more real to me, more enjoyable than perfect studio tracks.

(the ambiguity of the word "live" didn't help me write that)

But - for me at least - many technically perfect recordings sound lifeless.

Is that because of the technical perfection (using that term loosely!) or in spite of it? I ask that as someone who just can't listen to audiophile stuff like Proprius and a lot of the Sheffield D2Ds because it's so damn boring, and in the case of the D2Ds, limited by the musicians/engineers not wanting to take any risks.

Last edited:
Here are two theoretical circuits. When made with real components will they have the same noise level?

Is there any signal correlated noise?

Attachments

• Op Amp Noise.JPG
    Op Amp Noise.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 204
Status
Not open for further replies.