John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi,

It seems you could use quite a few lessons in many areas.

BTW, non-linear effects in Fuses are well documented. The ones in series with drivers etc. show very measurable levels of distortion, quite possibly audible. Rail fuses can also increase measured HD appreciably.

Mains fuses, hard to say. However I do not presume to tell others what they can hear or not or insist that they must use generic fuses if they would prefer them gold plated and with fusible silver wire link instead.
You don't have to use them, or buy an AMP Phonostage or Amplifier or CD-Player etc.

Remember, you already have the best gear in the world, absolute perfection, completely incapable of being improved... So you don't need mine.

Ciao T

I doubt there is any advice I could take seriously from you.

Fuses may well be non linear, but if they are located in the rails and causing measurable levels of distortion you have a serious problem with your design. Period.

Secondly, this is a DIY site, so no need to plug your stuff here or keep referencing it. I am the second or third individual that has raised this issue.

Finally, I absolutely would not spend $10k on your phonograph stage, rest assured. I just don't see the value in something that electronically falls way below the benchmark (remember, you told us low distortion is not that important, and as for RIAA curves, well anything goes, including a standard RIAA curve thats out by 2dB), and is then dressed up in coat and tails and masqueraded as high end.

Thanks for the compliments on my designs by the way. Pity I cannot return the favor.

Everyone, I want you to understand: We made LESS than 50 CTC Blowtorches, and 3 of those were for our own consumption.
We were making a 'race car' not a production sedan. We designed and built them when many people had excess money due to the stock market or because they were doctors, etc with limited outlets for their excess money.
We might not have build the same preamp, today, because of the economy. However, Constellation Audio, one of the companies that Demian and I work with, makes REALLY EXPENSIVE preamps, power amps, AND phono stages, etc. If you think the Blowtorch was expensive in concept and build, just wait! AND we still have a customer base. NOT anyone here, but somewhere. So why carp about cost? Some people in this world, today, have lots of money and want to spend it on hi fi. So be it. '-)

Just so we do not have a misunderstanding, this material is usually an ALLOY with iron or nickel. This makes the normal stuff subject to magnetism. This is bad, where I am coming from.

Key word being "alloy."

The wire I used in my previous line of cables was a copper/nickel alloy. The wire was not at all magnetic. And from what research I'd done at the time, found that copper/nickel alloys don't start to become magnetic until you reach about 60% nickel.

And the reason I didn't disclose the alloy at the time was because people just irrationally freak out at the mere mention of the word "nickel," believing that anything with nickel in it must be magnetic.

se

Magnoman, we hi enders tend to avoid making our cases with steel or anything magnetic. We did not start that way, and 30-40 years ago, steel was the usual material that we made chassis from. However, we have shifted to aluminum for the most part, for reasons beyond this discussion. It does have to do with distortion generation, I will offer that.
However, aluminum must be rather thick in order to reduce the magnetic component of EMI, much thicker than steel. Therefore, to effectively use aluminum and avoid steel, we must use a relatively thick shell. All my best designs use aluminum when and where we can.
Aluminum also finishes well. When we use a thick case even with aluminum, of course it gets heavy, but if we made a steel case with the same dimensions, it would be much heavier. It is NOT weight that we are after, or we would use steel, instead.

Hi,

I doubt there is any advice I could take seriously from you.

Then don't.

Fuses may well be non linear, but if they are located in the rails and causing measurable levels of distortion you have a serious problem with your design. Period.

Ahh, so on top of perfect designs, you also have perfect Op-Amp's that have infinite PSRR and are unaffected by supply voltage changes and perfect Poweramplifiers that also have infinite PSRR and are unaffected by supply voltage changes. It seems you are quite a designer then, even making your own perfect Op-Amp's, maybe you should sell the technology to TI/BB/NatSemi, they shure could use it.

Secondly, this is a DIY site, so no need to plug your stuff here or keep referencing it. I am the second or third individual that has raised this issue.

If linking to stuff on a website that illustrates something is plugging a product that many here are guilty of "plugging" products. If you think what I am doing is out of order, why don't complain to the moderators about the posts it is easy?

Finally, I absolutely would not spend $10k on your phonograph stage, rest assured. I just don't see the value in something that electronically falls way below the benchmark (remember, you told us low distortion is not that important, and as for RIAA curves, well anything goes, including a standard RIAA curve thats out by 2dB), and is then dressed up in coat and tails and masqueraded as high end.

First, I could not care less what you buy or not. Very few here have the kind of money to spare to buy AMR's products anyway...

Past that, I have no idea what phonostage you are talking about as having a RIAA EQ that is 2dB out from standard, but it is certainly not any I designed (be it published here in detail, or commercial ones), maybe a design of yours? If you want to criticise my work, make at least sure you got you facts right.

As to "falls below the benchmark", exactly what is the benchmark? And who sets it?

Independent measurements are published and can be accessed by anyone.

Finally, if you quote or paraphrase what I wrote, try getting it right.

I wrote that single number THD is meaningless and has no valid correlation with distortion audibility, a position strongly supported by research going back over 60 years and widely published including in the JAES. It has been long known that low THD is not a guarantee of low distortion audibility, neither is relatively high measured THD an indicator of highly audible or highly objectionable distortion. If you are so ignorant to not even know this, maybe you need some more education?

Thanks for the compliments on my designs by the way. Pity I cannot return the favor.

Not a pity at all. A compliment from you is one I really can do without, if I actually got one I would be worried I am dong things very gravely wrong.

Ciao T

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.