John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 20 years ago, I was a good phone-friend with Ed Dell, the founder of 'The Audio Amateur' and 'Audio Xpress'. Ed recommended a book to me in order 'to open my mind to new concepts', called:' The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat' by Oliver Sacks.
Contained in this book are many 'surprises' as to how people really perceive the world, or in this book, what happens when a certain part of the brain is damaged, and how it can either help or hinder someone. This got me to look toward 'Philosophy of Science' and other topics that I often denote here.
Ed Dell was one of the first 'tweakers' although he may see himself , differently. He had the courage to 'trust his ears' when modifying existing audio equipment like a Dyna tube amp, AND note the differences that were usually improvements in the sound.
This very concept is being debated here. Can we REALLY improve an existing piece of audio equipment, perhaps in ways that don't show obviously in a standard measurement, and not be victims of our own 'imagination'? I think so, but many here tend to think not. This is the problem.

pedroskova said:
I cant' find any science in audio; only engineering. There's a difference between the two that all too often gets blurred. This is probably because many engineers like to think of themselves as scientists when, in fact, they're not - they're engineers.
Engineer and scientists do different things: scientists develop/discover science, engineers use it. Therefore audio ought to include a lot of science. It rightly includes other things too, but audio which contains no science is just voodoo.

Engineer and scientists do different things: scientists develop/discover science, engineers use it. Therefore audio ought to include a lot of science. It rightly includes other things too, but audio which contains no science is just voodoo.

What science goes into the design and construction of an amplifier or loudspeaker? None, as far as I can see. Engineering, yes. Science, no.

Taking measurements is not science. Making sure something functions as intended is not science. It may take forethought and it may take discipline, but it isn't science.

Here is the distortion plot of the first stage of the triode triple. There is no feedback added and the triode is run at full gain.

Anyone care to guess what the full 3 triode plot looks like?

How objectionable is the distortion plot as shown?

The high frequency spike is a problem that sometimes shows up. It is not from the circuit!

Attachments

• First Stage No Feedback.JPG
    First Stage No Feedback.JPG
    459.6 KB · Views: 219
Hi,

Anyone care to guess what the full 3 triode plot looks like?

Yes, notable harmonics to the 64th harmonic (if above the noisefloor), less even HD than the first stage output.

How objectionable is the distortion plot as shown?

Depends on who objects.

To me, looks like most speaker drivers I know, except not as bad. I normally do not object to my speakers...

Ciao T

Steve,

You're the one who's slow picking up on things.

I asked you to define "perfect." Not show me where you use the word "perfect."

I see you are cunning linguist Steve...

I showed the definition of "perfect", e.g. anything incapable of being improved upon.

BTW, perfection is also impossible, but that is not a definition, it is an observation.

Ciao T

pedroskova said:
What science goes into the design and construction of an amplifier or loudspeaker?
Well, let's start a list: Ohm's law, Thevenin and Norton's theorems, Faraday's law, quasi-static solutions to Maxwell's equations, energy conversion and conservation, rational functions of complex numbers (oops, that is maths), trigonometry, power series, Johnson noise (back to physics again). Some of these are used directly, others are the underlying foundation of engineers' calculations and understanding. Are you saying that these are not science, or do you manage to design audio without using any of them?

What science goes into the design and construction of an amplifier or loudspeaker? None, as far as I can see. Engineering, yes. Science, no.

Taking measurements is not science. Making sure something functions as intended is not science. It may take forethought and it may take discipline, but it isn't science.

This is a very ill considered comment. It is applied science, for sure, but the major progress over the past decennia in audio reproduction has much to thank the likes of Floyd Toole, Thiele and Small, Olson, Moore and Pickles. They applied the scientific method to bring steady progress to the field, but more than that. They enhanced our understanding of how the brain processes sound.

Much audio development is cook book engineering, which often is very good, nothing against it. But the real progress comes from measurement, correlating between measurement and objectified subjective perception, coupled to the incidental brain wave that brings new ideas and concepts into the field.

Hi,

So, in the context of your little dig at Bonsai, you were criticizing him for not being Sisyphus.

Hardly.

I suggested improvements, based in current art, to his design.

He did not seem to much care for improvements, measured, or otherwise, which is his prerogative...

Ciao T

PS, no need to defend the use of PGA/CS volume controls in roundabout ways, this is DIY Audio, no-one really cares what mainstream Highend does...

Fifty+ years ago a college professor gave an example of a 'pseudo-intellectual'.
He was at a faculty cocktail party, and he asked for his martini to be extra-DRY. Someone walked up to him, and asked that he define 'DRY'. It was the inappropriate questioning of the term, that the bartender understood very well, than provoked this professor's ire, knowing full well that the questioner also knew the definition as he used it, and was just being a 'gadfly'.

Yes. This is too much, and sound of orchestra will be poured together.

But for a design tutorial I wanted to start with obvious and high levels of distortion. The global. local and none camps are religions, engineering practice works with models of reality. So stay with me as I show the difference between none, local, degenerative and global feedback and what actually happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.