John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I would contribute to the discussion regarding subtle sound differences: There are cases, especially in a studio environment but also at home, when the signal is not present and the noise floor sounds clean, but in the presence of signal, ground current noise modulates the signal.

I'm not following you here.

If there's no audible ground current noise when a signal is not present, then how does the presence of a signal cause it to be audible?

My cure for this historically has been to utilize transformer isolation for cables interfacing with remote rooms. It is the only way I have been able to easily stop a multitude of different noise effects. Historically I used UTC A-20s, but due to their inavailability I currently use Jensen JT-11s.

Check out the CineMag CMLI-15/15B.

Every bit as good in my opinion but costs significantly less.

In fact, the 11P-1 is, in a sense, actually a 15/15B rather than the other way around.

It was Ed Reichenbach of Reichenbach Engineering who designed and manufactured all of the transformers sold by Deane under the Jensen Transformers label (note the "By Reichenbach Engineering" on the jacket).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

When Jensen split from Reichenbach, they took all the engineering for Ed's designs with them and began making them on their own (well, sort of... It's my understanding that they're wound for them by another company down in the Los Angeles area).

The owner of CineMag is Tom Reichenbach, Ed's son, who acquired all of his father's engineering. So the 15/15B is ultimately the father of the 11P-1.

se

Howard, I consider input and output transformers a FIX, rather than optimum audio design. Yes, they work, but at what price in sound and money?

When used properly, there is no price in sound quality in my opinion. They're among the most transparent audio devices around. And given their ability to provide galvanic isolation, the ability to readily accept input from both balanced and unbalanced sources, and their unparalleled common-mode rejection even when fed from unbalanced sources, there's not only no price to pay in sound quality, they also pay dividends.

As for money...

Please. We're talking about this in a thread about a simple audio preamplifier that sold for $20,000.

se

>If there's no audible ground current noise when a signal is not present,
>then how does the presence of a signal cause it to be audible?

I have heard this described as "operational noise".
Noise in a circuit that manifests with a signal, but
is not there at idle. One could maybe call it "random
distortion" or electronic "rub and buzz".

Yeah. But I'd like to know just what the mechanism is that would cause it.

se

Actually the CTC Blowtorch preamp sold for a time for $50,000 in equivalent Japanese yen in Tokyo, when Bob Crump built them, before 2005.
However, we had to sell them at $10,000 to the importer.
Of this: $2000 went to me for designing, building and testing the circuit boards (4) 2 line, 2 power.
$3000 went to the fabrication of the cases, finishing and detailing.
About $1000 went for the pots ($400), all silver switches ($200) and pure silver wire ($200) and accessories such as screws, connectors, teflon barrier, etc.
This left $3000 for Bob Crump or ME to assemble them, wire them, Make a precision umbilical cable with multi-pin connectors, and line cord; test them, and make them as pristine as possible, before putting them in custom fitted (by us) flight cases, and burn them in for at least 20 days. Finally, we have a 'lifetime' warranty that has cost me many thousands of dollars to honor, due to import-export fees, shipping, and erratic owners, one of whom blew up 2 of our power amps and both channels of the CTC Blowtorch due to a mod to a tuner by someone else.
Oh, yeh! WHAT A PROFITABLE UNDERTAKING!

Collecting stunning women does sound like more fun. :cool:
Reviewing them is more fun....and far less expensive. And besides they still need tweaking and modification to get them to perform correctly. :confused:
Not so fast. Remember what he also said?
"I buy my specs from the local $2.00 shop, and for the princely sum of $12.00 I got 6 pairs that cover the whole range of powers available."
How stunning they really were could depend on which set of specs he was wearing. Lens Changes Everything. Could have been the Placebo effect, especially if he was wearing the rose colored ones. :D
Haha, my eyes are perfectly fine for general usage...I only need specs for reading the fine print. ;)
Who dat, Mike Bubble?? You mean Michel Boo-bley accent grave over the e, never heard of him. I hear Liszt garnered the same treatment.
After working two shows in a row, I mean Michael Booble with the accent on the first syllable....he buzzed into the outdoor catering tent today on a Segway and nearly ran me over.
I said, "You got a license for that thing" and we both laughed....him at my joke, and me at him. :p

Dave.

Noise Modulation

I'm not following you here. If there's no audible ground current noise when a signal is not present, then how does the presence of a signal cause it to be audible?...

Good question; the two mechanisms I am aware of are: conducted RF on shields which is demodulated in input stages, and modulation of DC operating points by ground potential lift inducing currents in chassis and PCB traces.

Check out the CineMag CMLI-15/15B. Every bit as good in my opinion but costs significantly less. In fact, the 11P-1 is, in a sense, actually a 15/15B rather than the other way around. se

I appreciate the info! Budgets being what they are at non-NPR college stations, we need all the help we can get!

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill
www.wxyc.org
1st on the Internet

Transformers

Howard, I consider input and output transformers a FIX, rather than optimum audio design. Yes, they work, but at what price in sound and money?

I agree, any performance limiting component is best eliminated, but what I was referring to was the fact that many people claim certain tube gear to have the best sonic characteristics. Without getting into a discussion of solid-state vs thermionic circuits, what I was interested in hearing you comment on was; if some of that tube gear sounds so good, maybe the galvanic inter-stage isolation aspect of the transformers inherent in their design is part of the reason?

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill
www.wxyc.org
1st on the Internet

As far as protecting your ears from potential damage, I also suppose that you put earplugs in your ears when near a construction site, and have NEVER used firearms or been in the military. These are causes of potential hearing damage also, perhaps more than an exposure of the GD on a fine day.

That is correct. I have ALWAYS taken extreme precaution to protect my hearing and sight. I've used form fitting earplugs of the type I got from my first employer's medical department whenever I was exposed to loud noise such as the NYC subway or in areas where there was heavy construction (my first job was in an enormous steel mill where among other things they manufactured pipe and nails, both very noisy operations.) I wear glasses that darken automatically as light increases in intensity and I don't squint directly into the sun either. I've never been to a live rock concert nor do I use firearms. I've also been lucky that I have not suffered any injuries or diseases which could have impaired them. My last hearing test about 3 years ago showed excellent response out to the limit of the test, 10 khz. And I also learned you can become very sensitive to sound under certain circumstances. During the test, not only did I become aware of the sound of my own breath, I even became aware of the sound of my own beating heart, something I'd never heard before without a stethoscope.

I've also learned that hearing can become quickly adaptable. That is why making critical adjustments for each recording is an iterative process. It isn't finished until I come back after some hours or days and it still sounds the way I remember it the last time I thought I had it right.

Finally, we have a 'lifetime' warranty that has cost me many thousands of dollars to honor, due to import-export fees, shipping, and erratic owners, one of whom blew up 2 of our power amps and both channels of the CTC Blowtorch due to a mod to a tuner by someone else.

Why on earth would you provide free repair service, including paying for shipping and import-export fees, for failures due to someone else's carelessness and/or stupidity?

You should have been making thousands of dollars off that.

Oh, yeh! WHAT A PROFITABLE UNDERTAKING!

It could have been if you hadn't come up with such a suicidal warranty agreement. Who wrote it? One of your competitors?

se

That is correct. I have ALWAYS taken extreme precaution to protect my hearing and sight. I've used form fitting earplugs of the type I got from my first employer's medical department whenever I was exposed to loud noise such as the NYC subway or in areas where there was heavy construction (my first job was in an enormous steel mill where among other things they manufactured pipe and nails, both very noisy operations.) I wear glasses that darken automatically as light increases in intensity and I don't squint directly into the sun either. I've never been to a live rock concert nor do I use firearms. I've also been lucky that I have not suffered any injuries or diseases which could have impaired them. My last hearing test about 3 years ago showed excellent response out to the limit of the test, 10 khz. And I also learned you can become very sensitive to sound under certain circumstances. During the test, not only did I become aware of the sound of my own breath, I even became aware of the sound of my own beating heart, something I'd never heard before without a stethoscope.

I've also learned that hearing can become quickly adaptable. That is why making critical adjustments for each recording is an iterative process. It isn't finished until I come back after some hours or days and it still sounds the way I remember it the last time I thought I had it right.

Good plan. Best to avoid contact with the opposite sex, too, they are a hotbed of disease.

w

Good question; the two mechanisms I am aware of are: conducted RF on shields which is demodulated in input stages, and modulation of DC operating points by ground potential lift inducing currents in chassis and PCB traces.

Yeah, but in both of those instances, I don't see that a signal is required. The noise should be there with or without signal.

I appreciate the info! Budgets being what they are at non-NPR college stations, we need all the help we can get!

No problem.

Tom and David (the company's VP) are good people. And if you ever call, it will be either Tom or David who will answer the phone.

se

Last edited:
Yeah, but in both of those instances, I don't see that a signal is required. The noise should be there with or without signal.

se

Depends. When your ground gets down and dirty all sorts of nasties happen. You can define them as you want, but here is the picture of the same amp different ground schemes, (One of a series so it is not variation of parameters)

Attachments

• Fixed PC THD jpeg.JPG
    Fixed PC THD jpeg.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 234
Status
Not open for further replies.