John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
An old Thorenz or something can not be compared to what is availlable now. If you never heard such a system over an extended period at home you can not judge about it.

You dissing my rig! ;) Yes, it is not the best. Lots of room for improvement with a better cart and phono preamp. Still this Thorens was a top LP turner in the 70's. Even has a built in speed strobe which is nice feature. I still hear people comment that it compares favorably to the Linn - LP12. But, I've never compared it to anything else, in my home.

I've heard the LP12 at a shop years ago on some Wilson Watt Puppies and it was good. I like our setup better. I've also heard top LP playback on some Apogee Duets years ago at a local audiophile shop "Audition", and it was really, really nice.

I've heard lots of good analog on top gear at shows too, and we have a very nice system overall and the LP playback it very nice with good records. I mean, I don't think you got to spend $10,000+ to hear good analog. If you do, well forget it!

John

Not at all. Playability and responsiveness to PLAYER INPUT are large factors in choosing an instrument. Therefore, your analogy to choosing an instrument is faulty.

Isn't sound quality a major consideration here? Are Stradivarius violins chosen due to their playability and responsiveness, or due to their sound? Or should we perform blind tests on violins in order to know which one of them is a Stradivarius?

First time we agree on something, Mr G.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, without solid lengthy exposure, a time window go-listen is futile, DBT or not.
One can stick 10 idiots into a DBT, the outcome will still be that of a bunch of fools.

Same deal as with automobiles, any step up from a sheit car will sooner feel over-expensive than obvious.
Drive a nice set of wheels for 6 months, then get ready for the shock when you get into the old piece of crab again.

john curl said:
It is NOT distortion, it is in spite of some audible distortion. This can be proven by listening to a test record with the SAME music on both channels, BUT one side is digitized before being cut on the record.

Yeah, I agree with that. I have some classical music "Digital" records and I can't say they sound all that good, kind of sterile. The ones from the 60's and 70's often sound best.

Built To A Price....

There may be a difference.
Some engineers are satisfied with "solid engineering practice" only, without bothering to listen to the outcome. Those engineers may miss the core issue with audio design.
99% of audio is built with exactly those outlooks and constraints - standard T&M is the accepted publishable criterium, however those figures say little about the actual listening experience.

Dave.

Ivor was a 'fool' to be 'trapped' like that in a listening test that is set up to generate 'null' results, unless one 'cheats'. Ivor has had to live that one bit of overconfidence in his own listening ability for many years.
This is WHY I do NOT do ABX tests. I can't pass them, either. Neither can John Atkinson, or just about anyone else.
Are we deaf, but arrogant? Are we 'fools' to believe in our own listening comparisons?

No, you're just human.

I know that's difficult, and in some cases impossible for some people to come to terms with. But that's nothing a small dose of humility can't cure.

se

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ivor was a 'fool' to be 'trapped' like that in a listening test that is set up to generate 'null' results, unless one 'cheats'. [snip].

I don't know what you mean by this John, but if one participant can score 100% just because of the noise level diffrences, and Ivor scores not better than tossing a coin, how can that be 'set up to generate null results'? Ivor didn't hear any difference. So?
I mean, I can understand he felt urinated, I would be too, and by proxy you are apparently are too. But you can't unreasonably accuse people of 'cheating' just because you hate the result.

jan didden

No, but I will not do much criticism from now on. I expect you to find something and not be able to explain it and that is where it will be left.

As a general comment, I don't think some folks around here appriciate the level of sophistication that has been around for decades in the precision instrument domain. I could go on forever nuclear research, ultrasound, CAT, PET, geoscience. To think that audio taxes the limits of collective engineering wisdom is unbelievably fatuous and a fantacy. Good solid engineering practice works in audio as well as anywhere else.

Scott,

That strikes me as a bit snide, finding something is the first and sometimes not so easy step. Once the technique is reliable then comes the task of ruling out what it is not. That takes far longer. As this is a hobby and not my main concern I share the techniques so others who wish to try things may do so.

The nice thing is the folks who illuminate the phenomena with useful cites or experience. Resistor distortion turns out to have been well covered in the 60's. The only thing new seems to be a simpler technique for measuring it. Cable distortion, passive intermodulation distortion and directionality seems to be covered to a fairly good extent by the cell phone base station designers. Would not have found the papers without others' knowledge.

I think the area where we really disagree is at what level distortion or noise is perceived as a problem. That being OPINION there is no easy resolution.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, you're just human.

I know that's difficult, and in some cases impossible for some people to come to terms with. But that's nothing a small dose of humility can't cure.

se

From my Nov 2010 AES report / the Editorial of the upcoming Linear Audio Vol 1:

"Eric Valentine, a record producer from Los Angeles, built his own recording console . He painstakingly hand-selected ‘audiophile’ capacitors, discrete devices, high-quality wiring. He is convinced that that makes the music that comes out of his console somehow sound ‘better’ than from a standard mass-produced console. Yet, on an intellectual level he knows that in a controlled test he may not be able to hear a difference if those special capacitors would be exchanged for standard industrial ones. He has learned to accept that, because he knows that the way he designed, sourced and built his console makes him work just a bit harder to do the best he can. In that sense, those special components do contribute to ‘better sound’. Eric is one of the very few people I’ve ever met who has come to grips with this basic dichotomy and became a better audio producer because of it."

jan didden

What are the typical conditions of formal ABX testing ????.
Through long audio experience I am well able to discern and describe reasonably subtle differences quickly and reliably on music and systems and environment that I am well familiar with...for REALLY fine differences I may require multiple AAA-BBB-AA-BB-AB plays of particular passages on music that I know intimately to isolate and define sonic subjective differences.
Then after that comes longer term listening over multiple tracks/albums/genres that can extend to hours or days to properly establish subjective opinions.
Can it be that typical ABX testing of FINE differences is fundamentally flawed because it does not meet the above conditions ????.

Who says it doesn't meet the above conditions?

Tom Nousaine has set up a number of people with ABX systems in their own home, using their own system, so they can do all the AAAA BBBB whatever they want at their leisure for as long as they want.

And it's worth nothing that during blind tests, listeners are confident that they're "hearing" differences. If they weren't, then you couldn't really perform the test in the first place. However when the results are revealed, their responses are no better than random guessing.

se

From my Nov 2010 AES report / the Editorial of the upcoming Linear Audio Vol 1:

"Eric Valentine, a record producer from Los Angeles, built his own recording console . He painstakingly hand-selected ‘audiophile’ capacitors, discrete devices, high-quality wiring. He is convinced that that makes the music that comes out of his console somehow sound ‘better’ than from a standard mass-produced console. Yet, on an intellectual level he knows that in a controlled test he may not be able to hear a difference if those special capacitors would be exchanged for standard industrial ones. He has learned to accept that, because he knows that the way he designed, sourced and built his console makes him work just a bit harder to do the best he can. In that sense, those special components do contribute to ‘better sound’. Eric is one of the very few people I’ve ever met who has come to grips with this basic dichotomy and became a better audio producer because of it."

Great story, Jan!

Thanks!

se

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Controlled test is just another word for "bogus" test.

Actually, Eric had another great story. At his AES both he conducted a preference test for two DACs with a headphone output. Visitors were handed a headphone and a switch and were requested to decide which one sounded best. The two DACs had a 1:10 price difference. As long as the two DACs were sitting there on the counter, the preference was 80% vs 20% in favor of the expensive one.
As soon as the DACs were moved behind the counter, out of sight, the preferences were 22% vs 78%, in favor of the cheap one.

There more to it, but I'll let you digest this first ;)

jan didden

Status
Not open for further replies.