John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, everyone, ever think of the advantages of buying a used, and 'out of date' Parasound amp, or its equivalent? You get a FIRST RATE chassis and heatsink, hard to get parts are already matched and installed. ?

Seriously John what models do you recommend? There are a pile on ebay right now though a pair of JC1's at $2800 does not seem like a bargain. People might lighten up if you stopped implying that nobody has contributed a circuit topology or design trick that has any value for the last 40yr.

John, as opposite to what you are saying, I assume that trivialities are often discussed in this thread. I believe that everyone reading this thread knows what is the usual inductance and resistance of both MM and MC cartridges, and there is no need to emphasize this as something new. I also do believe that many are able to make their view on noise, based on voltage and current spectral noise densities of different circuit solutions. To me, there is to much baseless patronizing in this thread.

PMA, I am accused of going over the heads of people, IF I do not start with some of the more basic principles, often overlooked by people who were not designers with some experience. For the most part, serious designers, including YOU, Nelson Pass, Bob Cordell, etc, have your OWN threads that you go to and contribute. I attempt to stick to this thread, unless it is to defend the reputation of a colleague.
For example, look at what you just put here: A primitive model of a MM cartridge.
Then a frequent contributor here wondered IF your model would be useful for MC cartridges? I didn't see your response to his question. nuff said
Scott, I just LISTED a number of amplifiers by model number, did you miss it? The JC-1 is BIG, powerful, dangerous, due to high voltages on the rails, and expensive. It is ALSO FIXED UP by my associates to NOT need any DIY upgrades, at least by my team.
The JC-1 is NOT a contender, BUT the HCA 3500, its slightly smaller brother (per channel), can be had cheaply, less than $500/channel. The reason is: The circuit is OK, but the bypass caps, transformer polarities, feedback resistors, etc are NOT OK, and this turned this potential B product to a dog product in the marketplace. 'Stereophile's' review of this product and its non-rating, was what made it fall from the marketplace and be remaindered out at $1500 NEW, back about 10 years ago. However, this can become one of the best power amps available with a little DIY, and TLC. I have 2 units on my shelf that need repair, AND I just might fix one of them to replace my older prototype. I have already lived with this modified design and it is next to perfect in my estimation.
There is a problem however: When I recommend the necessary changes, there would be 'hoots and hollers' from YOU, Scott, and 10 of your buddies, calling me every name in the book, telling others that I have lost my mind, and that I am imparting 'magic' to passive parts. And so it goes. ;-)

Last edited:
Nelson Pass has his own place and following here on this website, apparently free and clear of a good deal of what I have to deal with on a regular basis. I was never offered such a place on this website, and I have 'settled' for nudging this thread though 'thick and thin' under continuous moderation.

For what it's worth, I recently lobbied to get you your own forum where you could say whatever you wanted, unmoderated.

It was rejected.

Hey, I tried.

se

John, as opposite to what you are saying, I assume that trivialities are often discussed in this thread. I believe that everyone reading this thread knows what is the usual inductance and resistance of both MM and MC cartridges, and there is no need to emphasize this as something new. I also do believe that many are able to make their view on noise, based on voltage and current spectral noise densities of different circuit solutions. To me, there is to much baseless patronizing in this thread.

Actually I really did not. Among the amazing amount of words here there are a few things I have learned.

By the way I didn't get a chance to mention the picture you posted of that very overheated transistor with the red glow in it. Do you really listen to square waves? Did you ever see the video of the guy who builds his own tubes?

Have fun.

ES

There is a problem however: When I recommend the necessary changes, there would be 'hoots and hollers' from YOU, Scott, and 10 of your buddies, calling me every name in the book, telling others that I have lost my mind, and that I am imparting 'magic' to passive parts. And so it goes. ;-)

Never a problem if you stick with things that make sense. I found a Halo A23 for $40 as-is worth it for the chassis and power supply alone. Could you get me a schematic, or is this one not worth it at all?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]One thing that I find rather sad, is that my design expertise is continually challenged, even though I have been doing circuit design successfully for more than 40 years,[snip].

John, this is indeed rather sad, especially so as it is not true.
Nobody challenges your design expertise. There are posts in this thread where people express respect for your design expertise.

The REAL sad thing is that you tend to take ANY criticism as personal criticism on yourself. I really wish you could, like many of the other 'names' on this forum, reply to a material criticism with a material rebuke or agreement, whatever should be the case.

I am very sure that once you can make that step, the atmosphere here would clear up big time, personal attacks and belittlements (also by you) would go away and you would really feel at home here. No more moderation, I'm very sure of it.
Your call, John!

jan didden

Xtalk over? Thanks everyone. Someday I will do YOUR' inventory' and we will then have an even playing field. I regret that I cannot easily post schematics or links to technical papers here. I have relied on just typed communication, and complete explanations that way, are somewhat tedious for me and confusing for others. I still have to go through others, to post pictures, etc, and it generally isn't worth it. It takes their time, as well as mine, and it is difficult to edit for clarity. Sorry about that.

Scott, it is best to not start with a completely broken unit, as it can be expensive to fix.
The A23 and the HCA1000 are the lowest of the range that I would personally recommend. Everything is compromised, but very listenable, if set up properly, especially for TV sound. I use an HCA 1000 myself for my video (Comcast)sound, with four Sequerra Met 7's, 2 in front, to in A-B in the rear.

One thing that I find rather sad, is that my design expertise is continually challenged, even though I have been doing circuit design successfully for more than 40 years, and many of my original design concepts are now built into many audio products, without regard to the fact that they too, were originally challenged as either too complex, expensive, or darn right confusing, 40+ years ago.

It isn't the expertise of your design I challenge, it is its significance. What I'd like to know the answers to is the answers to the same questions I use to judge my own ideas. If it is it better than alternatives then; How is it better? Why is it better? What makes it better? What makes it worth the extra cost, complexity, or trouble to make it, buy it, use it? The answer you seem to have frequently offered that a lot of people like it or that it won awards isn't good enough, at least not for me. I want to know what makes it tick. What can you tell us in concrete terms does it do better than the competition and how and why does it matter? Merely different doen't equate to better. And I want to hear it in terms acceptable to mainstream electrical engineers, not fringe fanatic audiophiles who buy tees to prop up wires on or vacuum tubes dipped in liquid nitrogen and swear that is a magic bullet that brought them nirvana. You say that you have some of the best and most sensitive test equipment in the world and know how to use it. What results does it show that back up your claims? So far all I heard was that a very expensive wire has a noise threshold of minus 135 db of the seventh harmonic of 5 kHz (which is well beyond the audio spectrum) compared to a $1 Radio Shack wire which was only minus 120 db. That report dispelled any lingering doubts I might have had about the acceptability and adequacy of the performance of Radio Shack wires in any audio system insofar as that parameter is concerned. Now what can you really tell us about your preamplifier designs that distinguish them from the competition in concrete terms that would be acceptable to electrical engineers? So far in over 1000 pages and 10,000 postings I haven't gotten even a clue about the answers. Well, at least I know that they aren't based on vacuum tubes which probably doesn't matter.

a pile on ebay right now though a pair of JC1's at $2800 does not seem like a bargain.

Considering that MSRP of the JC-1 went up from $6K in '03 to $9K currently, an oldy at less than 1/3 current retail isn't that bad.

Now, overhere they did €8000 new, which went up to a 2K10 retail of €9,900.-
A Mussels from Brussels offers a grey import US/120V version pair of JC-1's at the web for $2,650.- ($1.36 on the € rate)
A JC1 monaural pair, of 8 year max age, for 20 cents on the fresh dollar sounds like a good deal.
In particular for a bloke who's able to read a service manual himself, with affordable sources for a 240Vac toroid swap. (good thing i'm into throttle KW only)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.