John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
No freaking out, just me, open back headphones are as far as I go. Unless I'm flying to Europe or Asia I never listen/watch anything while traveling, that includes my car.

On the train into London they are a godsend as you are usually standing in the corridor like a sardine, so they create a happy space. They also are handy when it's noisy in the office. I don't use them at home, but my koss electrostatics would be no good at work.

But I have a thing about full size headphones in the office. Go figure.

yes, scott, i'm one of those, too.

i can tolerate the old style ear buds that were more like mini speakers that just sit in the folds of your ears, but I just can't handle those devices that fit snugly in the ear canal that "main-line" the sound. i don't care about blocking out ambient sounds or how they sound, they simply aren't comfortable for me, even the big $$$ ones, so they just don't work for me.

I can't stand anything in my ears, doesn't anybody else feel that way?

mlloyd1

Unless I'm flying to Europe or Asia I never listen/watch anything while traveling, that includes my car.

+1

One of my past gf's pointed out to me why did I always got to have that stereo on, can't I appreciate a moment of silence (classic Finn of the past), and since then I have always enjoyed long periods of silence through out my daily life, sort of every day Zen meditation allowing one listen to ones inner voice and focusing the mind.

Todays youngsters are different, complete noise junkies, always plugged into to a gear stimulating their brains both audio-visually and visually with superficial noise keeping them in a zombie state, no wonder the audiophile hobby is dying out.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
-- I had an early all discrete Dolby circuit I used for recording (sometimes)... Advent 101 ?? maybe

The Advent 100 was all discrete.
The 100 and 101 were mentioned as having the same functional diagrams.
I don’t know if the 101 was built discrete too but it’s price was half that of 101’s.

George

Attachments

• Advent 100.PNG
    Advent 100.PNG
    228.3 KB · Views: 207
Since I wear hearing aids, it is not practical to use In Ear headphones.

The hearing aids cause problems with over ear headphones, as stray magnetic fields can cause the hearing aids to switch modes.

As a result, I am limited to my selection, and have settled on two sets of headphones which do not mess with the hearing aids. For use at work I have a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 15 (The only Bose product I have been happy with in 30 years).

At home I have Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones.

If I ever fly again, I'm taking the Quiet Comfort 15 with me.

since then I have always enjoyed long periods of silence through out my daily life, sort of every day Zen meditation allowing one listen to ones inner voice and focusing the mind.

I almost added that to my post, moments of silent meditation can also be moments to mull over sticky problems. BTW I saw a nice travel show on Finland yesterday including some friends and family foraging wild plants/mushrooms, catching wild game, and trapping crayfish. Do you like the blood cakes? :D

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Todays youngsters are different, complete noise junkies, always plugged into to a gear stimulating their brains both audio-visually and visually with superficial noise keeping them in a zombie state, no wonder the audiophile hobby is dying out.

I assume by 'youngster' you mean anyone under 50? I was part of the walkman generation (although I never owned one).

Perhaps, though one would hope that some pros prefer excellent performance as well.

IME Pro Gear and studios are all over the place quality wise.

On one end of the spectrum, hearing some recordings straight from 2"/16 track through a minimalist console to speakers was staggeringly good and put most audiophile systems to shame.
On the other end of the spectrum, some big dollar studios with massive consoles and endless outboard gear can sound flat, lifeless and two dimensional.

It can make customization and upgrades tricky. In some cases a client will experience a significant improvement, in others it can be barely audible.
Attitudes (and ears) of engineers vary as widely. Some are very very good, others will have opinions something like "a converter is a converter is a...."

If you are wondering why our music varies so much in quality there are plenty of reasons.

T

Do you like the blood cakes? :D

Mommy asserted it was both yummy and veeery healthy and so happily we ate it, it's long time since last but wouldn't hesitate if served, welcome to Finland and have a try! :D

Youtube - Jean Sibelius - Finlandia

I assume by 'youngster' you mean anyone under 50? I was part of the walkman generation (although I never owned one).

More so of the people in their 20's and perhaps 30's too who have grown up with the much more portable multimedia smartphones as the center of the universe, curse them!

More cassette decks, once upon a time one of these landed in our living room, a Yamaha TC-800 designed by Mario Bellini. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• yamaha_tc-800gl_cassette_deck.jpg
    yamaha_tc-800gl_cassette_deck.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 624
Status
Not open for further replies.