John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lovely anecdote but not sure what a 1973 Prog rock album has to do with the commercialization of Radio friendly pop music to the point that it's a musical pot noodle.

Maybe its just that it is common for parents to think their kids have poor taste in music regardless of the generation. The parents grew up listening to whatever music was popular at the time and for them that defines good music. Statistically speaking, of course.

I was originally referring to the traditional fine art paper made from mulberry in Anhui province it has gone from $0.35 to $4.00 (or more) a sheet for the best grades in the last decade or so. The actual origin of most of the substitutes are lost in translation and generically "rice".

Mr. Wurcer, just curious if you have designed any newer op-amps for audio applications since the older AD711/712, AD744/746, and AD797?

Thank you for your time and reply!

Last edited:
Mr. Wurcer, just curious if you have designed any newer op-amps for audio applications since the older AD711/712, AD744/746, and AD797?

Thank you for your time and reply!

No, I moved to ADSL drivers and the op-amps got divided between several sites but none were audio specific. Recently there have been some headphone drivers for cell phones. I'm retired but still talk with my old crew who are doing the latest JFET amps.

Well I just had an interesting start to Sunday. I got a call from one of my arena clients, no sound in the main bowl. I don't know what his fine would be. The NFL would want three million. So there can be a bit of stress and downside doing large sound systems.

The system is about 20 years old and has had some changes but is due to be replaced soon.

The sound guy is well above average on the practical side. He had gone through the patch bay and determined the signal was interrupted after the patch bay feed to the main amplifier racks.

That made it seem likely the fire alarm signal relay was tripped. It is designed to mute the sound system in case of a fire to allow the fire alarm system to be heard. It can also play emergency messages over the main PA.

The sound guy made a quick trip to the security-fire command center where they told him the alarm was not tripped.

I guided him to gizmo in the back of the rack that does the muteing. First I had him pull the connector which resulted in no change. That pretty much settled the issue as the fire trip circuit is a dead man's device. So I then had him cut the red wire. Yes the wire involved really is red!

Everything came alive. For this event and until the fire alarm is repaired a guard must sit beside the sound board to instruct folks to mute the board in case of an emergency.

So apparently my aging memory is still...Tuesday, nice shiny car! (no insult meant to the folks who really have problems!)

Last edited:
Chris, it is more a code issue than equipment.

Dan, in dramas it is cut the red wire to disarm the bomb. There are actually two red cables for the emergency system. In this case it was a single wire.

When the system first went in you could page into the main system from anywhere if you knew the phone number! There was a manual bypass switch just to prevent pranks and internal office idiots. But fire code is pretty strict.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ed,
Local fire code then?

The PA systems I've put in have an override code on the phone switch. It ducks any and all other announcements and comes over top of them all. All zones. I try to stick with Bogen equipment with some TOA thrown in when they have a nifty box we can add.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.