John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 12 cents regarding power amplifiers, based on experience:

1) stability even with very difficult complex loads, no problems if the load is suddenly disconnected

2) high output current capability

3) excellent immunity to both air-coupled EMI interferences and supply line interferences

4) sophisticated wiring topology immune to grounding scheme of remaining audio chain components

5) frequency compensation network that assures high loopgain (feedback factor) even at the upper end of audio band

6) very low and as linear as possible output impedance

Reasonably high slew rate and full power bandwidth at least 100kHz as a rule of thumb, no need to emphasize.

Hey Pavel, excellent post.

I recall advice of putting a filter right on (soldered to terminals) or at (small SM pcb) the input connector. Is this still 'sound' advice? Could you say more about both aspects of point 3 (air-coupled EMI and supply line)? Circuits?

Could you say more about point 4? (as a dad I love the idea of inherent, post clean-up!) Circuits?

You seem to have a lot of cents!

Happy Holidays!

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:
Plenty cold here, do you let the humidity drop? Did you see Microsoft's anechoic chamber, they really moved the goal post on that one?

My humidity at this very moment is 26%. A bit low my target is 30%. So a small adjustment is needed.

No I haven't personally seen the Micosoft one but what I have seen near there is quite interesting and under an NDA.

Dan, Bill it seems I need your shipping addresses. Also it is begining to look like you may need a large box.

Hi Tryphon,
Because it is so basically wrong that it doesn't dignify a response. Everyone here is probably aware of the truth.

Hi Scott,

Generally, yes. Pick your most problimatic ones and try to solve them working your way down the list. That includes the basic concept.

Well, exactly. The same old question was posed by the same old person. The only response will be the well-worn one that does not split the audience.

-Chris

I have to confess Chris it was really tempting to react to it.

Quote:
I recall advice of putting an emi filter right on or at the input connector. Is this still 'sound' advice?

Hi Jeff,

More now than ever!!

-Chris

That's what she said!

But seriously,

Is the classic 100k, 1st order filter good enough

or do we need more advanced filters (on everything that is inter connected [air emi and supply line]) these days,

Hmmmnmmm
:scratch:

now more than ever?!?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tryphon,
I didn't forget. It's a normal part of every design.

The fact that the speaker output is actually another input path is something I taught technicians for years. Most were very surprised as they hadn't thought of this. These things are so old hat that they don't seem worth mentioning unless questioned about every entry point for noise of all kinds. Then you would also include the power supply. It also can couple internal noise between stages and sections.

-Chris

Now back to what it takes to make a successful audio amplifier design. ...
Why this is so, still confounds the critics, but it still appears to be more important than just a 'better' thd measurement, etc. and this has been proven out by a number of successful designs that have that extra 'quality' not shared by the bulk of audio products.
Could one of the reason be that they somewhat cancel some distortion of common transducers as suspected by Eduardo de Lima?

Could one of the reason be that they somewhat cancel some distortion of common transducers as suspected by Eduardo de Lima?

The problem with this line of reasoning is that by nature the transducers have compressive nonlinearities just like the electronics. The thing to do is use a dummy transducer in the feedback, John can tell you about his experience with that.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Can I come back to how to measure output capacitance of the HV amplifier. Not trusting the cheap cap meter I have I tried an indirect way.
In the attached, the smallest BW graph is with an external 56pF cap attached to the output.

Since neither curve goes to -3dB in a smooth way I compared roll-off frequencies at -1dB and got about 80kHz and 135kHz. Can I infer the intrinsic output cap of the stage from this?
Rout is around 2.5kohm.

Edit: accounting for the used test adapters and receiver attenuators, actual mid-freq circuit gain is about 54dB

Jan

Here is a thought-
The capacitance will cause increased current to drive it in the output circuits. You could measure the drain current at a low frequency (10Hz) in the output circuit. Raise the frequency to something like 10 KHz and see how much in increases. Add a known cap to ground and see how much it increases. The increase in current with frequency will be the capacitance plus some other small factors I would think.

No I haven't personally seen the Micosoft one but what I have seen near there is quite interesting and under an NDA.

I was impressed that they are only 2.8dB above air at STP. I haven't heard lately from the guy who wanted to evacuate the air from one side of a microphone to lower the noise. Someone asked the other day, "How long do you preheat a microwave oven?", what do you answer?

Last edited:
Someone asked the other day, "How long do you preheat a microwave oven?", what do you answer?

Mine takes just under 10 seconds to develop full power. Way back (40+ years) when microwave oven leakage energy was a concern I built meter to look at it.

The meter was a 1N21 diode and a 50 uA meter. Easily measured leakage. Dirt on the door seals raised it to almost double the normal reading. But that is when I learned there is a turn on delay.

So if you worry about such things, be sure your door seals are clean.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I was impressed that they are only 2.8dB above air at STP. I haven't heard lately from the guy who wanted to evacuate the air from one side of a microphone to lower the noise. Someone asked the other day, "How long do you preheat a microwave oven?", what do you answer?

Keith Johnson used a vacuum to optimize his mods to the Sennheiser RF condenser mikes. It enabled confirmation that the noise was below random air movement.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here is a thought-
The capacitance will cause increased current to drive it in the output circuits. You could measure the drain current at a low frequency (10Hz) in the output circuit. Raise the frequency to something like 10 KHz and see how much in increases. Add a known cap to ground and see how much it increases. The increase in current with frequency will be the capacitance plus some other small factors I would think.

That is a great suggestion! I will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jan

The saturation is more related to the core material.

Toroids have a large winding window area relative to magnetic flux path length. The geometry is ideal if one would like to be able to saturate the core, or to put it another way, one must exercise some restraint so as not to run the core too close to saturation. Core material matters too, of course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.