John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google actually goes a good job. Unfortunately I was not there to show them the errors of their way. :)

Don´t want to be offensive but i have some problems to grasp any hard fact. ;)
The sentence above looks to me like an assertion that at Gecom they did errors (that you surely would have corrected if present) but you prefer no to mention these errors.

Mixing fixed tone and noise measurements (where video BW and resolution BW matter) are fraught with opportunities for error.

From their description i´d think they used a power splitter in reverse to combine a noise source signal with a "fixed tone" measured the output once with and without "miracle device".
At a first glance i´d say it isn´t such a novel/revolutionary attempt (i.e. to combine two signals in getting the vector sum at the port) and it seems the settings of the Analyzer remained the same.

Opportunities for error (especially considering absolute values/accuracy) sure, but for relative comparison like this one?

On some level the lack of curiosity is surprising, someone hands you the philosophers stone and you say, "That's nice" and hand it back. There are lots of quick experiments I can think of like lowering the level of the 10MHz tone until it is equal to the noise (try to fool the demon). I mean really, nonsense (an inert entity knows that a tone at 10MHz and nothing else is what "we" want) stares you in the face and you don't try to figure out what's going on?

Sorry but there are some logical inconsistencies;
The assertions (in this forum) were that the "device" is either a resistor or does nothing (should probably mean is just a piece of wire).

As said before, the graph shows something that it is not compatible with neither the resistor assertion nor the "does nothing" assertion.

And now the conclusion is that it can´t be (because of the premises/assertions) or because of their inability to find a reason (unwillingness to do some research for a reason)?
Otoh you would not blame previous researchers for not trying the same (a similar) experimental approach because believing in the resistor/wire theory is much easier?

Disclaimer: i´ve never tried any of these devices, am certainly unhappy about those quantum physics description (without claiming to know all one should know about quantum physics)

I'd be very careful uttering these words, especially if you were a musician. I can guarantee you that old barnicle of a conductor would hear and have corrected the slightest out of tune and timbre musician in the orche:violin:stra.

But I am very careful, what I said (the snipped out part) is that, certain people can, apparently blindfoldedly, pick out a cap of specific dielectric material on subjective preferences, who knows, maybe our preferences changes when our ears gets "aged and clogged". :D

But the speculations also went on (again, the snipped out part) whether some are deliberately spreading disinfo in order to, perhaps, misleading the competition. :magnify:

As said before, the graph shows something that it is not compatible with neither the resistor assertion nor the "does nothing" assertion.

The graph and claim of what it shows is no different from the "results" of the faster than light neutrino experiment. Under scrutiny turning the world of physics upside down was not going to happen that day. Once Again, Physicists Debunk Faster-Than-Light Neutrinos | Science | AAAS

The setup or interpretation of the results are flawed or mistaken most likely in an innocent way. I'm not spending any more time or money on this unless someone has two of the $300 BQP's to lend me. I have access to everything needed to duplicate this experiment exactly. Or maybe someone out there can see if they block music like Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" or better yet Massona.

Last edited:
Ultima,

Thank you for the clarification and your thoughtful reply.

@ Jim the oldbie,

Please don't show that shirt to my little 4 year old. She is always amazed at what I pull out of her ears; (i.e., showing her empty hands then pulling everything from ipads to root beer floats, meals, ice cream cones, toys, a living mickey mouse, papers, pens, and finally a few coins for a vending machine in which she reinforces her learning of the base 10 numbering system and learning a coded system for matching.)

After pulling a quarter out of her hear, she places it in the slot, she sees and recognizes the numbers 42 under the fruit roll and press those numbers on the keypad. Low and behold a black cork screw looking thing begins to slowly spin above the numbers 42...she begins to hop up and down almost beyond control screaming out, "daddy, daddy look, it's moving".

Then it stops at a half revolution...the fruit wrap, standing at a 45 degree angle behind the glass..."oh daddy, daddy" my little girl looks at me, "it's stopped, fix it, fix it please daddy".

Wanting to be a hero to my little four year old, I kick the machine, I bang on the polycarbonate and try and vibrate the machine.

This time it works and the cork screw begins again its rotation and like a soldier the fruit roll complies....

Stand up, buckle up, walk to the door... ...jump right out and count to four!

It's ejected, and falls to the bottom of the machine.

My little girl screams with joy and jumps up and down and pushes the guard flap back, reaching in and grabbing her little soldier, the fruit wrap, then begins to tear the wrapping from it.

Smiling, she offers me a piece and I take it, a sample, both sweet and tart.

I thank her and she says, "you're welcome, daddy."

and for a moment I take pride in being a hero to a beautiful and vibrant little girl--the joy of my life.

Attachments

• after fruit roll sm.jpg
    after fruit roll sm.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Ultima,

Thank you for the clarification and your thoughtful reply.

@ Jim the oldbie,

Please don't show that shirt to my little 4 year old. She is always amazed at what
I pull out of her ears; (i.e., showing her empty hands then pulling everything
from ipads to root beer floats, meals, ice cream cones, toys, a living mickey mouse,
papers, pens,

Sounds to me like she is into extreme foods. Perfectly normal. :rolleyes:

Just keep her away from fire crackers.

Pavel,

I assume you know the normal method is to use a second amplifier

I guess I do. The results are interesting, for some topologies. It should be a straight line or ellipse in case of X-Y plot, width of the ellipse reflects the phase shift at the given frequency. Phase shifted sine in case of 2-channel Y plot is the right result. All that spikes show crossover nonlinearity.

Attachments

• OPA549_20_03_2007.jpg
    OPA549_20_03_2007.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 280
  • opa549_outforced_5k_10R_smallsig.PNG
    opa549_outforced_5k_10R_smallsig.PNG
    26.7 KB · Views: 280
  • PA4_force_10k.PNG
    PA4_force_10k.PNG
    27.9 KB · Views: 278
  • outimp 0.03 ohm.PNG
    outimp 0.03 ohm.PNG
    21.9 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
It is the usual caveat- a NHST has two possible outcomes, the nullhypothesis can be rejected or the nullhypothesis can not be rejected.<snip>

You do make some excellent points. That said, the obvious conclusion is that the differences are either non-existent (highly probable, given the nonsensical 'physics' that the devices is allegedly designed around) or minute.

At times I'm reminded of an article in one of our pop electronics magazines questioning the speed of signal propagation. He took a scope and connected a pulse generator and one end of a spool of wire to channel 1 and walked around an entire city block unraveling the spool and connecting the other end to channel 2. He took a picture of the display to prove that some of the signal must have propagated at >c.

Sounds like a moron to me. Even with my primitive test equipment (Rigol DS1054z, Tektronix 2232) I can measure such things with decent accuracy, without moving away from my workbench. That said, I rather miss my Tektronix 7854, which allowed for very easy measurement of such things.

You do make some excellent points. That said, the obvious conclusion is that the differences are either non-existent (highly probable, given the nonsensical 'physics' that the devices is allegedly designed around) or minute.

How many participants in the test? Did you say, sorry if I missed it?

Also, did the listeners have any idea of what was in the boxes? Or to put it another way, did you have to say anything to the listeners to get them to participate in the test? Tell them they would be comparing snake oil, or Bybee device? Anything like that? Were you one of the listeners?

How many participants in the test? Did you say, sorry if I missed it?

My recollection is that somewhere between a dozen and 15 or so. Each had the opportunity to test the devices in their own system, at their leisure. There was no pressure from peers.

Also, did the listeners have any idea of what was in the boxes?

Of course. Listeners knew that one pair of boxes contained ByBee devices and one pair of boxes contained equivalent value resistors.

Or to put it another way, did you have to say anything to the listeners to get them to participate in the test? Tell them they would be comparing snake oil, or Bybee device? Anything like that?

Yes. Listeners knew that they were testing ByBee devices. IF I had to guess, I would say that half the listeners were sceptics and the other half open minded (I prefer the term 'uncritical').

I have to acknowledge that the test lacked excellent rigor, but it was instructive in any case. Blind testing of ByBees seems to reveal little or no difference from resistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.