John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Notice pls.... I didnt say AR were great but started the wide dispersion fad which continues to this day. If you wanted the maximum room influence, that's the way to do it.

Hard to go against Henry Kloss but it wasn’t him.
It was Lowther, Hegeman, Carlsson...
>EDIT: and it isn't a fad

A diamond in the rough.

Congrats for the support

George

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hard to go against Henry Kloss but it wasn’t him.
It was Lowther, Hegeman, Carlsson...
>EDIT: and it isn't a fad

Congrats for the support

George

I recall the AR - think it was Ed V. But if others did it over there before, fine. Over here, those names were not sold or little known at that time. AR had figured that they could make a bass speaker in small sealed cabinet with low eff... etc. using domes without horns for mid-hi. That put that concept on the map here with great acceptance factor. For small size for full-range if nothing else.

Not a fad any more. Been accepted for too long. Seemed like a fad at the time. Now main stream. yes. By- product was wide dispersion;

[I had to bring whole family into Kathmandu capital for girl to get education. They could not pay rent et al of course, let alone school costs. Had a second girl which is 10th grade now and will go to become a MD. Best thing I ever did with money. So, I travel to Asia every year to see them. And, buy them computers and all manner of things to help them open their world. Took girl to bangkok to see life in modern city 6 times. A couple weeks ago, Sarada was old enough to come and stay with me/us for 2 weeks and travel by herself. Going to get her visa and come to Calif and live with me/us to attend University.... wants to go for MS EE. :)
Thats main reason I am here now... waiting for her interview for visa with embassy in Nepal. I will be there with her on 27th. Meanwhile, helping on amplifers and marketing.]

22046637_10214538540036963_927605329938082634_n.jpg from religous holiday

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Waly,

The scorpian and the frog come to mind.

RNM,

You might just need real polished diamonds to pay the tuition! But congrats. (I suspect she is easy scholarship material. Particularly at the better schools looking for diversity.)

She qualified at 75% but calif wont accept scholarship for foreign students and then doubles their fees. yes, It will cost me dearly. Oh well, I wont be around a lot longer and a woman who would Never get an education in her culture and stuck in poverty or married off/sold off... gets a chance to get out of that cycle of poverty and achieve independence and freedom to have a good future. She will then help her sister go to college. That's worth it to me.

I am also helping another Nepali girl 22 yrs in her last year now as civil engineer.... only 6 women out of thousands at her college. She is also lucky young woman. Very civic minded... probably go into politics to make things better for her country. Country needs a lot of infrastructure development.

-Richard

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
This, also my EE and physics prejudices and closed mind, makes me incapable to appreciate the improvements brought by Bybee quantum devices, myrtle block risers, Shakti stones, green CD edge markers, USB cables, high open loop bandwidth, eNabled speaker drives, high end power cables, Eichmann bullet plug RCAs, cable directionality, pure silver wire, Teflon caps, etc...

Just for the record - so as not to paint me with too broad of a brush ----- I have never used any of those 'products' in my own gear/system. I did try the green marking pen - with my own markers... didnt hear a change in my system.

But try to keep an open mind as there is potential that some might do something under certain conditions.

THx-RNMarsh

It's where Richard is critical of everyone except himself (and those who validate his viewpoint), and then doesn't listen to the feedback he gets. ;)

Don't forget that in spite of his projected image, Richard is still only human. Like you and presumably me. So, like all humans, he tries to defend his decisions by weaving a web of rationality around them. Which in this case is funny, because I remember Richard coming out against phase shift, vented enclosures and the audibility of DAC's at some time, whereas the M2 suffers from lots of wrongness in all these three respects.

One reason JBL PRO and other professional (Meyer et al) speaker companies do not market to consumers much is the consumer market has been sold on wider dispersion is better. It isnt true, however.

THx-RNMarsh

From which dark hole do thoughts like this emanate? Completely bonkers. You only want to believe this because your speakers are highly directional and now you are stuck with them.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I recall the AR - think it was Ed V.

Yes. AR.
E. Villchur and H. Kloss saw the need for small enclosures.
Acoustic suspension concept was developed for having a small sealed enclosure produce some decent low bass. Undistorted, well balanced and controlled but low efficiency and not punchy.
A compression driver on a horn does not mate with this character. A dome does.

The Art of Speaker Design

An omni speaker is another acoustic experience.
(and this is what I thought you called a fad)

George

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
:cop: A little reminder :cop:

This thread has a diverse range of people with a diverse range of beliefs and opinions. Whilst tension may build when beliefs are disparate we remind you to "play the ball, not the player"

Debate is fine and encouraged, personal attacks or slights are against the rules.

Even when you strongly disagree on something please try to respect the other persons beliefs or opinions and keep it civil. If you can't then refrain from saying anything at all.

RNM,

I was thinking a private university. Harvey Mudd is about the most expensive anywhere except most of the students get scholarships. My feel is Stanford might fit. Not too far from Cool (!) and likely to have scholarships available.

I am old enough to remember when any woman in engineering could get a scholarship just on gender ratios.

Yes. AR.
Acoustic suspension concept was developed for having a small sealed enclosure produce some decent low bass. Undistorted, well balanced and controlled but low efficiency and not punchy.

George

I like open buffle (I have Orion from Linkwitz) with active crossovers.
That was main reason I started to design my own output amps, I needed lot of them.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yes. AR.

George

yes to all. That is how i recall it as well. Prior to the acoustic suspension concept for bass, loudspeakers were dominated by large enclosure high effec systems.... he tried removing the horn to match efficiencies with acoustic suspension driver and got wider dispersion and lost the horn coloration.

The problem with wide dispersion drivers is they tend to send signal to nearby surfaces with unintended consequences. maximising room influences on the sound.

THx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
RNM,

I was thinking a private university. Harvey Mudd is about the most expensive anywhere except most of the students get scholarships. My feel is Stanford might fit. Not too far from Cool (!) and likely to have scholarships available.

I am old enough to remember when any woman in engineering could get a scholarship just on gender ratios.

OMG! For an out of state and foreign student... yikes !! The cost. Just for the housing alone in Stanford area - forget dorms. She can go to any school no doubt. I'm going to have her IQ tested. She loves science and did really top notch in physics as well. When teacher asked her to draw an accurate sketch of a microscope on her desk in front of her.... it looked barely recognisable.. like a Picasso. She will be living with me so i will get a glimpse into how her mind works... pretty abstract thinker, maybe.

THx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Don't forget that in spite of his projected image, Richard is still only human. Like you and presumably me. So, like all humans, he tries to defend his decisions by weaving a web of rationality around them. Which in this case is funny, because I remember Richard coming out against phase shift, vented enclosures and the audibility of DAC's at some time, whereas the M2 suffers from lots of wrongness in all these three respects.

yes also true but no contradictions here. I do prefer an excellent sealed enclosure for bass. But there do not seem to be many good performing ones.

With tuned port, the distortion (THD) starts to rise and then drops to min at Fr of system and then back upward sharply below Fr. However, if the tuning is low enough and source music doesnt go lower than Fr,, then it can sound OK. Other issue also -

The DSP/DAC thing and digital amps will be tested for contribution as soon as I get the time and have a replacement. And with Sarada living with me.... that might now take longer.... So, though my actions dont match my words... they will catch up in due course. And I do have some massive $2000 bass drivers (2) for a sealed enclosure to put into an enclosure still. Maybe I am going to need another life time. They require medium box/volume meaning I have to build into wall area next to M2.... which is about 2.5 ft deep. I still believe in what I said to do is the best way.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I like open buffle with active crossovers.

I switch btn omnis and active x-over OBs every two years or so during the last 12 years. :D

That was main reason I started to design my own output amps, I needed lot of them.

He he.
If someone had asked me, I would have replied “because he enjoys designing complex amplifiers” :)

George

I was going to buy his best system until he didnt seem to think or Poo-Poo'ed distortion as an issue. In speakers, IMO it is a very big issue.

As a result of his research, Geddes says HD at low SPL is important because our sensitivity to HD is greatest at low levels but is increasingly masked as SPL increases. Thus, as long as HD is within masking limits at SPL within design specifications, it's not relevant (not "an issue"). He also says that measured performance of well designed/built drivers is good enough to do that. This seems to be very empirical: if it can't be heard, then it can't be heard. Right?

Contrarily, as a result of his research he found time domain artifacts - HOMs, "linear distortion" - become unmasked with increasing SPL. This led to his work on contours of wave guides and baffles generating least HOMs and related refraction artifacts. This work also resulted in the famous foam acoustical filter that reduces the level of off axis HOMs.

A couple of months ago I wandered through a large pro equipment sales and rental shop and it seems since my last visit years ago, all the usual suspects are manufacturing speakers that look like clones of Geddes's speakers, minus the foam widget, which he patented. So the cheapskates have all been reading his stuff.

He also researched the relation between speakers and room and the coloration and masking effects of early room reflections. To minimize those he designed his speakers for constant directivity with smoothly falling FR off axis.

And is one of the reasons I used new Quads amongst other reasons. Then the JBL M2 because it does everything Geddes does -- all good -- but also considered distortion.
Which Geddes did. Perhaps you jumped to an unwarranted conclusion.

Geddes had to buy his drivers while JBL designed and made their own.
I don't think this was a disadvantage for him. He was a consultant for his supplier.:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
As a result of his research, Geddes says HD at low SPL is important because our sensitivity to HD is greatest at low levels but is increasingly masked as SPL increases. Thus, as long as HD is within masking limits at SPL within design specifications, it's not relevant (not "an issue"). He also says that measured performance of well designed/built drivers is good enough to do that. This seems to be very empirical: if it can't be heard, then it can't be heard. Right?

Contrarily, as a result of his research he found time domain artifacts - HOMs, "linear distortion" - become unmasked with increasing SPL. This led to his work on contours of wave guides and baffles generating least HOMs and related refraction artifacts. This work also resulted in the famous foam acoustical filter that reduces the level of off axis HOMs.

He also researched the relation between speakers and room and the coloration and masking effects of early room reflections. To minimize those he designed his speakers for constant directivity with smoothly falling FR off axis.

Which Geddes did. Perhaps you jumped to an unwarranted conclusion.

Just a few quick comments..... first sentence --- already been established.
Second sentence ..... with the huge qualifier.... 'well designed' drivers. meaning his and a few others (PRO)? I am not so sure what audiophiles/public normally have access to purchase qualifies as being low enough in distortion for masking to be diminished at normal levels. In fact I rather doubt it.

Now HOMs in a straight conical horn is interesting and solution is effective and novel. Not much interest commercially in that type of horn... esp at lower freqs where the horn length becomes stupid.... and hard to make any time alignment possible.

Last paragraph ... already known also... the effects of room and dispersion. Dont even need to bring up masking there. A lot of destructive or comb filtering, time delays, impulse smearing et all from reflections as well as changes in critical listening distance. Many mfr have found ways to provide constant directivity.

The HOMs and foam plug is new and novel and deserves a patent.

Is That significant to the field?

JBL 305 up to the M2 doesnt need it and does not use a long conical horn in front of driver. Better time align. More compact. And constant directivity (CD). That seems significant.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.