John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never saw this before. A resistor used in a power supply feeding a zener diode.
Simon, here are pictures of the famous hi-end amplifier. 5W resistors are in series with Zeners, can you imagine better place for Al caps (Zener shunts)?

Attachments

• IMG_3791sm.jpg
    IMG_3791sm.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3794sm.jpg
    IMG_3794sm.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 256
I visited. still indicates you are wrong in your assertion.

This could be a case of definition of "work". Mr. Lavorgna is well known for hubris and clearly the claims of incredible improvement of "Electric Ladyland" does not involve binaural recordings. Possibly a $6000 effects box giving a different simulacrum. The two op-amp R's, C's, and pot Phat-stereo circuit creates a very good 3D effect for $10.

Last edited:
bacch will work as 3d aural exciter, sorry

I doubt the marketeers would be cool with a disclaimer in every add pointing out that what you get with a non-binaural recording is some random 3D effect. Apparently it can take your speakers and head out of the equation and produce the binaural information at your ears without headphones, so if you use headphones why bother? I guess take out your particular headphone response? I don't get it. Well there is the head tracking, but the Smyth Realizer does a good job of letting you take your (or someone else's) big speakers anywhere with no added effects.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Simon, here are pictures of the famous hi-end amplifier. 5W resistors are in series with Zeners, can you imagine better place for Al caps (Zener shunts)?

Such design practice is (was) common on a huge range of commercial gear such as TV's of the 80's and 90's.

Sony used to have an issue with a chassis that used a couple of high wattage metal oxide resistors in the power supply. They ran that hot they used to physically unsolder themselves. Special high melting point solder was issued for 'repair' :D

Maybe unfair to single that (Sony) as an example but what you show in the picture is pretty mild in the scheme of poor design and components generating excess heat.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
This could be a case of definition of "work". Mr. Lavorgna is well known for hubris

He has somewhat lost the plot since getting his own website where he has total mod power! There does seem to be a lot of confusion between the 'academic' site and the theoretica site over what each bit does. They are working on '3D TV sound' at the moment which suggests they are heading in that direction.

the 3D mixer does look like it could be a good if people start using it, but given the fragmented market for effects and the like I can't see it being used all the time, even though huge amounts of music is listened to on headphones.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
3D sound from Dolby, DTS, THX, and a number of other unknown players has been a major push. Dolby Atmos used with original material or DTS-X with DTS material can be quite remarkable. With generic stereo its much more iffy and you can get some less that good results. Everyone is piling in on this stuff for soundbars. You don't need a Mac mini to make it work. The business is all about royalties for some bit of DSP wizardry. The challenge for every one I have tried is not screwing up the tonal balance and clarity of the central image. Voices have sounded distinctly off on every variation.

Everyone is piling in on this stuff for soundbars.

On another topic have you see the virtual bands at bars? I was on a high end cruise ship and there were four super monitors turned on their side, big enough to be almost life size with a different session musician on each playing the same song. They are all recorded separately (apparently) and software makes them in perfect time.

I have tried to give a start reading this thread, but up to page 8 (of thread series 1) I personally found no schematic of amp published on this site. However, already in page 3 most people talk about details of said schematic... ??? This is quite confusing for me, can someone explain me why, or where to look for Blowtorch's schematic?
Many thanks in advance.

Ionmw, there is no exact schematic for the CTC Blowtorch anywhere on the internet, much less this thread. However, a skilled designer can make their own close approximation with what is on the first 100 pages of this thread. While it might satisfy some peoples curiosity, publishing the exact schematic would be virtually impossible to truly duplicate by a diy amateur, because the parts are not really available anymore, except to professionals.
However, I don't publish the schematic because I don't want it copied by professionals, claiming they have made a Blowtorch clone. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.