John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vote for humus and falaffel …

Second that. I discovered those as a teenager in Israel- ruined me. I asked our local expert, "What's this Polpol stuff I keep seeing signs for?" Had hummos for the first time in a little (at the time) village called Abu Ghosh. I suspect that the warm welcome and great hospitality we got would not be the case today...

Falafel is our favorite junk food; best outside of Israel is a little stand in Amsterdam just off Leidseplane. They make their own pita as well.

:yawn:ing - but again in the spirit of accuracy!:rolleyes:

Ciabatta is an Italian bread thus should not be compared with French bread. To do so is a pain.

"Great red wine" is not to be confused with "Great buy red wine".

The reason for your"Wonderbread" staying "fresh" for several days :)eek:) is because of the additives which are part of the content.

We can now see where your views on audio industry products may come from:D.

There's Ciabatta bread and then there's Ciabatta bread. Funny, the fancy high priced bakery couldn't hold a candle to this one. Best bread I tasted in America.

"Great red wine" is not to be confused with "Great buy red wine".

Very true. That's why I subscribed to expert opinions and read their books. Parker, Suckling, and Laube. As soon as each issue came out, there I was with the other scavengers cherry picking the racks at all my favorite wine stores. I just about gave up after my mania over 1994 Port when I couldn't get either Fonseca or Taylor Fladgate and had to settle for Quinto de Vesuvio. I wonder if the 94 Ports I did buy will be ready to drink in my lifetime. There was a time when great wine was just about being given away when compared to today's prices. Good thing I stocked up then, only sorry I didn't buy even more.

The additives in Wonderbread are what keeps it from going stale or moldy like "natural bread." In France, you can chaptalize wine (add sugar to it) or you can add tartaric acid but you cannot legally do both to the same wine. There's been great improvements in wine making there including such interventions as reverse osmosis and of course cold fermentation in stainless steel or glass lined concrete fermenting vats using mechanical refrigeration to keep the temperature at 86 degrees F. There are few things more disappointing than the first taste of a wine that's been overchaptalized.

Looks do-able. I would use my Stanford Research sub-ppm oscillator. I don't see the transformer reasoning, you could check a buffer/preamp with reference resistors and then just connect it to the divider. I still can find no references to any effects that are not related to contact metallurgy a bad resistor is just a bad resistor.

Scott,

If my test resistor shows problems, how can I be sure it is the resistor under test and not one in the divider?

I am trying to build a test that does not require any precision parts, so that it is easily duplicated. I suspect I can get a version under $50 plus a PC.

As a user of resistors I wish to be able to select the best performing part at the lowest cost. If the problem is bad metallurgy, that is a manufacturer's problem. It is not something a user can fix.

With the 10nv or so from typical carbon film resistors that should rule them out for MM phono cartridge loads!

ES

Second that. I discovered those as a teenager in Israel- ruined me. I asked our local expert, "What's this Polpol stuff I keep seeing signs for?" Had hummos for the first time in a little (at the time) village called Abu Ghosh. I suspect that the warm welcome and great hospitality we got would not be the case today...

Falafel is our favorite junk food; best outside of Israel is a little stand in Amsterdam just off Leidseplane. They make their own pita as well.

Anyone will be very warmly welcomed in Abu Gosh even today, they are Israeli Arabs, not Palestinians, most of them are Christians… Arabian hospitality is unique, especially Bedouins (nomad Arab tribes). I have local Bedouins friends, so I know from first hand… I can tell you true stories that will make you cry.

Now humus is very nutritious, it isn't junk food, by no means, especially when one is vegetarian, like me.

I vote for humus and falaffel …

You actually eat humus? Things are worse over there than I thought.

Humus | Define Humus at Dictionary.com

"hu·mus   /ˈhyuməs or, often, ˈyu-/ Show Spelled
[hyoo-muhs or, often, yoo-] Show IPA

–noun
the dark organic material in soils, produced by the decomposition of vegetable or animal matter and essential to the fertility of the earth."

Post your address and I'll Fedex you a CARE package of Potato Knishes, a Hebrew National salami, and a loaf of seedless rye from the local Kosher deli right away. :santa2:

You actually eat humus? Things are worse over there than I thought.

Humus | Define Humus at Dictionary.com

"hu·mus   /ˈhyuməs or, often, ˈyu-/ Show Spelled
[hyoo-muhs or, often, yoo-] Show IPA

–noun
the dark organic material in soils, produced by the decomposition of vegetable or animal matter and essential to the fertility of the earth."

Post your address and I'll Fedex you a CARE package of Potato Knishes, a Hebrew National salami, and a loaf of seedless rye from the local Kosher deli right away. :santa2:

This is definitely not humus, humus is ground and spiced cooked chickpea.

As for the salami, you can spare it, I'm a vegetarian.

There's been great improvements in wine making there including such interventions as reverse osmosis

It is fair to say that is debateable. I've had mostly poorly balanced wines using RO. You're right about the prices 1931 Quinto do Noval used to sell for $90. Someone in 1978 brought a whole container of 1967 d'Yquem in and sold it for $19.95. I stopped reading Parker in 1978 (issue #2) what would pass was obvious and our tastes are diametrically opposed.

Last edited:
This is definitely not humus, humus is ground and spiced cooked chickpea.

As for the salami, you can spare it, I'm a vegetarian.

I'm sure in some fiendish food laboratory, some miscreant has invented tofu salami. Next thing you know they'll be telling us that tofu is all we can legally eat because we have to save the.....whales, trees, planet, oceans, or whatever. Chickpeas. Garbonzo beans....with sesame paste, garlic, and olive oil. No substitute for a nice hot smoky rack of baby backs and a few cold ones to knock down with it.

Thanksgiving vegan style.

Attachments

• 61JqLcMdxZL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    61JqLcMdxZL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 240
It is fair to say that is debateable. I've had mostly poorly balanced wines using RO. You're right about the prices 1931 Quinto do Noval used to sell for $90. Someone in 1978 brought a whole container of 1967 d'Yquem in and sold it for $19.95. I stopped reading Parker in 1978 (issue #2) what would pass was obvious and our tastes are diametrically opposed.

To be quite honest, my taste buds are usually more in agreement with James Suckling's than Parker's. And there are times when they have sharp disagreements with each other. I've got one case I'm quite concerned about. 90 Pichon Lalande. Bought it on Suckling's rating of 94. Parker hates it, calls it I think 79. I was thinking of taking to Sotheby's and swapping it out for something else. Was only about $30 a bottle when I bought it in 93 just like the 89 which should be excellent. Today in a highly rated vintage, Pichon Lalande will usually go for about $150 to $200+ even in these hard times.

RO is usually used in weak vintages to concentrate wine by separating it from water. It may not be the process that eviscerates the wine, the grapes may simply not have ripened sufficiently. RO helps raise bad years up to mediocre years. That's still not good enough for my money though.

Last edited:
Falafel; best outside of Israel is a little stand in Amsterdam just off Leidseplane.

Actually, the one i had on Hippie main square of Christiana, Kopenhagen, in the late 80s, early 90s, was primo grade as well.
Mmm,...so was the pot in the joints there, such heavy stuff that i totally forgot to get down and naked with the two blond and very 18-year old perky Danish girls who took me over there.

Hang on, short keyboard break to bang my head against the wall multiple times for old times sake.

(fortunately, the Hugo Boss types at the Maersk main office were very understanding when i mentioned bar, broads, and Christiana during coffee salvation)

Last edited:
To be quite honest, my taste buds are usually more in agreement with James Suckling's than Parker's. And there are times when they have sharp disagreements with each other. I've got one case I'm quite concerned about. 90 Pichon Lalande. Bought it on Suckling's rating of 94. Parker hates it, calls it I think 79. I was thinking of taking to Sotheby's and swapping it out for something else. Was only about $30 a bottle when I bought it in 93 just like the 89 which should be excellent. Today in a highly rated vintage, Pichon Lalande will usually go for about $150 to $200+ even in these hard times.

RO is usually used in weak vintages to concentrate wine by separating it from water. It may not be the process that eviscerates the wine, the grapes may simply not have ripened sufficiently. RO helps raise bad years up to mediocre years. That's still not good enough for my money though.

I had a nice visit with May de Lencquesaing a couple of years ago but the wines she showed were unimpressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.