John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you're over 40 and when you wake in the morning up something doesn't hurt, you're dead

(I highly recommend the Shingles vaccine for those who had Chicken Pox as a child - I'm in the 2nd month of the post-herpetic neuralgia, looking at months more PT to recover shoulder motion, strength)

Last edited:
I got one from my grandfather. Stopped working. I now know the secret it is powered by money, having the repair estimate.

They are beautiful machines. They can be finicky, but not difficult to repair. Spare parts are expensive though, and finding an experienced repair person is a challenge. Expect 150 to 200 per hour rates.

The suspension can be easily damaged in transit if it's not locked properly before moving.
John

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I bought a brand new Atmos ten or fifteen years ago, the one with the month ring and moon phase display. Had to place a custom order; no local J-L dealers kept them in stock. It's still going strong and I expect it'll run for another 75 years or so before needing servicing. The torsion pendulum, which oscillates at 2 cycles per minute, is pleasantly soothing after a hectic day.

I bought a brand new Atmos ten or fifteen years ago, the one with the month ring and moon phase display. Had to place a custom order; no local J-L dealers kept them in stock. It's still going strong and I expect it'll run for another 75 years or so before needing servicing. The torsion pendulum, which oscillates at 2 cycles per minute, is pleasantly soothing after a hectic day.

I don't know, mine only ran 50 years or so before it required service. :) The torsion band was replaced.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
yeh, I know what you mean by expensive to repair those moon phase models.

5213g001[1].jpg

I opened mine and tried to fix it myself... tore into it. Ended up throwing the pile of parts away.

-RNM

View attachment 623178

I opened mine and tried to fix it myself... tore into it. Ended up throwing the pile of parts away.

So an about $50k Patek Philippe watch ending in the trash after a botched DIY repair attempt. Thanks for letting everybody know you can afford that.

I wonder what's your next eccentric achievement :rolleyes:. Don't forget to complain about the high cost of health care in the US.

So an about $50k Patek Philippe watch ending in the trash after a botched DIY repair attempt. Thanks for letting everybody know you can afford that.

I wonder what's your next eccentric achievement :rolleyes:. Don't forget to complain about the high cost of health care in the US.

Maybe he should take up golf. Bubba Watson's wears an $825,000 Richard Mille watch - Business Insider

EDIT - Serious business men have no need for grammar.

I wonder if he puts Marvel mystery Oil in his Bentley.

Last edited:

If you bought it back then closer to $2,000.00 new. A friend bought one while in school in Switzerland. Afraid to wear it everyday, also bought a $300.00 watch. When that one needed a new crystal and cleaning, took it to a watchmaker. Who assumed my friend was rich as the cheapie now sold in the US for around $5,000. And only someone well off would use such a watch for daily use.

I used to wear an inherited watch that did the phases if the moon etc. during my college days until I found out what it was worth.

View attachment 623178

-RNM
Your problem probably had to do with coffee.....;)

I have to abstain for at least half a day before doin a watch.

And use a 60 power stereoscope.

And work only on big skeleton watches.

And only in an acrylic box so that the parts cannot run to freedom. And they do try!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.