John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I am using an OPPO 105 with an internal Bybee modification (makes digital listenable). I have the schematics as I worked for OPPO, sorting out the sound quality. It is pretty good, but it could be better. Unfortunately, the chief engineer at OPPO disregarded my suggestions as they would not make any MEASURABLE improvement in the equipment. Oh well, at least I tried.
By the way, is there anything intrinsically wrong with a quality Blu-ray player being used to play back both Blu-ray and 24-96K recordings? Inquiring minds need to know! '-)

As to the latter, no there shouldn't be anything inherently wrong -- depending on the media you're reading, you'll be using either a blue or red laser, but the basic technology is the same and, well, getting the bits off the disc is not going to affect sound (pathological causes excepted, e.g. heavily scratched discs). Audibility is going to surround the DAC/analog buffer.

(Acknowledging mix/processing differences of the actual media, not playback performance)

By the way, is there anything intrinsically wrong with a quality Blu-ray player being used to play back both Blu-ray and 24-96K recordings?

Blu-Ray player D/A conversion is not usually the best.

And in this particular case, I don't see how it could be among the best given the price point for an OPPO 105. It just costs more than that to do it right.

Also, I don't know exactly what the Bybee modification does, but it seems unlikely it could fix everything that is below par.

Last edited:
Such experts! Well, with the Bybee mod, I could FINALLY listen to my best digital material, that is both SACD and DVD, and accept (with limits) some of the quality CD's that I have as well.
Now I would be the first to say that there is better digital reproduction out there, although most here appear not to believe it. '-)
Ticknpop, good for you, I might do something similar in future.
I will trust Richard Marsh's opinion on this, as he has a really good speaker system, electronics, and better digital electronics as well as the OPPO 105.
However, that is not the point. The point is: The sampler Blu-ray sounds distinctly inferior to Chesky DVD recordings that I have that are also recorded 24-96K. As this sampler has over 70 separate sessions on it, I think there should be 'something' that sounds as good as a Chesky DVD. I haven't found it yet.
Of course, to me, Vinyl is better and I have MUCH MORE invested in phono playback than digital, and the only reference that I bought at the LA show was a Chesky Vinyl record. Haven't listened to it yet.

Last edited:
John,
The Bybee mod might very well make things sound better, whatever better may consist of. However, it might make a better DAC sound even better to you as well. In any case, I kind of doubt the problem is with digital per se. It does seem like most of the data converters in use, including for recording are less than the best sounding, so it may be unlikely to find a digital recording you like, but even if that were the case, it still wouldn't mean digital is bad, only that there is still some room for doing it better.

Regarding A/D converters, the one I liked best on the A/D CD was the Manley Slam with optional A/D conversion. For the Slam with dynamics processing bypassed, the A/D sounded great. Unfortunately there are at least two problems: (1) a Slam with A/D option at the time I looked at it was priced at $10k for 2 channels, and (2) the A/D option is no longer available (perhaps due to low sales and/or unavailability of parts).

Last edited:
Markw4, you don't seem to have read what I said. I found that the 24-96K CHESKY recordings, (and DSD too) sounded very good played back through the OPPO. ONLY this demo 24-96K failed. That is the point, and actually refers generally to what PMA is finding out about op amps. e.g. Not all op amps are equally good sounding even if they have similar specs.

sounds like most likely a post production problem, ie so called Mastering. But if you don't have an external DAC to use to compare the digital outputs without the transport box attached, it becomes hard to assign blame, you just can't know.

Now normally we would expect a Chesky release to be just fine thank you. But things do happen, especially on compilation discs.

So, yes, you should tell Chesky. But you would be wise to verify your experience first.

Cheers and better listening
Alan

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Blu-Ray player D/A conversion is not usually the best.

And in this particular case, I don't see how it could be among the best given the price point for an OPPO 105. It just costs more than that to do it right.

Dunno why you say that. Same ESS DAC in the oppo as in your Benchmark. Given the economies of scale oppo has seems no good reason why the oppo shouldn't sound transparent. Hey, the benchmark DAC1 uses 5532s and the manufacturers say its almost impossible to tell the 1 and 2 apart except on overs and certain volumen settings.

We are talking about two different aspects / functions of ZFS.

You are talking about: Resilience again disk failure

I am talking about: resilience against and prevention of silent data corruption

Disk failure is mechanical.

Silent data corruption takes place at the file system level (most "modern" file systems are basically patched ancient architecture).

Part of the function of the copy is to check the data against itself. Some checksums function drastically different than others.

There is a reason why any kind of high value, mission critical data is stored on these types of volume managers.

If we are talking perfectionist 24-bit playback, it is a perfectly valid question to ask one to determine if their data is actually the way it was when they originally copied it to their disk.

Statistically speaking it's impossible for this to be so across the board, especially if the data is multiple years of age and was stored on hfs, ntfs, etc.

In a scientific debate of admittedly barely audible differences using state of the art playback equipment, it's not sensible or scientific to not consider this matter deeply.

I performed thousands upon thousands of bit-for-bit comparisons against HDD images using industrial quality software and NEVER saw a single instance of HDD data loss. As you say, it is possible, but not worth worrying about. I would say not worth thinking about. If it occurs other signs of imminent data loss will be evident, not to mention S.M.A.R.T. messages from the HDD/SSD.
Cheers!
Howie

Last edited:
I would like to correct myself. The statement "gave ...the team access to Harman's R&D budget of $400 million" is correct. $400M is the total R&D budget for connected car, lifestyle audio, professional solutions and connected services. There is no information to what portion of R&D budget access was granted.

Dunno why you say that. Same ESS DAC in the oppo as in your Benchmark. Given the economies of scale oppo has seems no good reason why the oppo shouldn't sound transparent. Hey, the benchmark DAC1 uses 5532s and the manufacturers say its almost impossible to tell the 1 and 2 apart except on overs and certain volumen settings.

Bill, I haven't had a chance to listen to both units together, but from what I can gather they OPPO 105 is supposed to be very good, but a little different sounding than a Benchmark. How much is "a little?" I can't give an exact opinion without hearing for myself. I kind of doubt either unit is perfectly transparent, and if they sound different at all, they can't both be right. And it seems that the same parts as you describe it aren't giving the exact same results, so there must be something else besides that affecting the sound. That being the case, my expectation would be that the OPPO being a multi-function device, rather than a very focused device, is more likely to be the one that is more "off." That is my thinking anyway, which as always, could be subject to revision as new facts come in.

Also, in responding to John, I haven't heard his phono system either, but if he is adamant digital doesn't sound right, I still doubt that digital per se is likely to be the problem. More likely there are still some imperfections with the implementation of digital as it stands now. And I do understand some people may not agree. That's fine, but I don't want to get into a big, unproductive argument about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.