John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaudi's house designs are just fine if you your thing is to act as a dwarf from Snow White or some such fable character. While amusing as a design excercise, I'd never want to live in one of them.

Sorry, Richard. :D

I'm sorry to say you are extremely wrong. Not only his buildings where perfectly habitable for the human race but also they were extremely demanded by the richest people in Barcelona, Catalonia and other places in Spain.
His innovations in the technics of building and his use of the light, natural heat, thermic isolation and application of ergonomic forms, decoration… were far beyond his era.

I'm sorry to say you are extremely wrong. Not only his buildings where perfectly habitable for the human race but also they were extremely demanded by the richest people in Barcelona, Catalonia and other places in Spain.
His innovations in the technics of building and his use of the light, natural heat, thermic isolation and application of ergonomic forms, decoration… were far beyond his era.

Where is this from, Gaudi is cool I loved everything of his I saw in Barcelona.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Stuck in a 4 month delay line it seems. . . http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/loun...ch-preamplifier-part-ii-6152.html#post4221688 That would be useful for testing extreme low frequency performance.

The USPTO can be really good at finding previous art. I submitted a patent for a battery terminal for automotive batteries. I thought it was original and unique could find nothing like it. The USPTO pulled out a 1927 patent that was almost exactly what I had proposed. At least some of their guys are on the ball.

I have no idea how the quoted text was attributed to me, a mishap perhaps. Buu I agree in art with it, the art on being habitable. They may be just fibe for you, but I am 6'2'' and kinda too tall for what he had in mind. I do not dispute Gaudi's originality, but I am saying I am not taken with them any further than "cute"

Went to Taliesin West over MLK weekend and the tour just make Frank Lloyd Wright seem like a megalomaniac. I found part of that architecture inspiring, but FLW isn't my fav.

Gaudi, on the other hand, is definitely a favorite. (Whimsical, but about as practical as FLW!)

Not that this has anything to do with loudspeakers. But Gaudi's shapes provide some interesting diffusers. :D

Has everyone seen the series: Genius A history of Albert Einstein?
While the series is very good, I noticed something that most here would probably ignore, since more than a century has passed when Einstein did his monumental first work. This is the resistance of intelligent, educated people against anything they did not know about in advance. Heck, they hadn't even proven that molecules exist at the time, much less Relativity!
Now why do I bring this up? Well, there is a new physics that is in the background today, that can be as important to audio quality as almost any new development in parts or circuits. Yet, it is denounced and ignored much like the early papers of Einstein. It would be good to wake up to this professional ignorance, because it keeps us from progressing.

How much is new understandings of physics going to really change the fundamentals of audio-frequency IC's, much less discretes (the tasty ones seem to be disappearing daily)? The changes with process technologies are becoming more and more marginal; there's much more to be found in terms of ways of connecting circuits.

P.S. Gamble house is definitely up my alley.

Last edited:
Just an idea, John

Thanks guys for responding to my call. Unfortunately, only the 'heavy hitters' mostly an inconvenient distance away, have responded, and I hope to hear from less experienced, but equally enthusiastic people who want to build something audio, but don't have the resources or experience to really do it easily.

John, I'm too far away to take advantage of your challenge to build but I feel analog tape electronics always had a bad reputation except for a few guys like Keith Johnson and John Stevens. You've always done preamps and power amps. How about a tape record and play preamp that puts the heads in the feedback loop, a preamp with much headroom. There has been a recent surge in popularity of analog tape. Ray

He sounds better than Frank Lloyd wright who told people how to live in his houses
and used to turn up and make sure they hadn't re-arranged things.

We live near Taliesin Spring Green, and have been there several times. The ceilings are mostly too low
and claustrophobic. His church here especially is, with terribly uncomfortable original seating.
The Johnson Wax headquarters in Racine is also.

Status
Not open for further replies.