John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
And besides on a really good recording how do you not listen to or ignore the noise floor difference?

I also think not listening to the music and hyper-tuning your listening for artifacts is a very tech-brained thing to do.

I wished there was a third one of that kind and here there was a few posts down

there is no point in having a discussion unless it's over the same experience at the same time.

and to my disbelief you could not recognize what was being played without looking at the program. I didn't think that would be possible, but everyone was still pleased.

Here is a disbelief, this can’t be Wagner! (*) .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg3pHkzUerc

(compare it with “expected” Wagnerian stule of interpretation, e.g. Marta Moedl, Astrid Varnay, Kirsten Flagstad, even Birgit Nilsson)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKz1a_BFR54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWqAU5VKYdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dfbZ6S6DU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGbM2jvahY

George

(*) yet, the ‘darkest’ interpretation I’ve heard

I would say that the truth is closer to that professional musicians don't
bother with extravagant equipment because they hear the ' musicality '
rather than the ' fidelity ' of the performance . Musicality being timing,
harmony, and nuance in a context far transcending minute bits
( or lack of ) fidelity .
In my experience that is not fully correct.
Many musicians do indeed tune into the composition, the vibe etc at the expense of fidelity, but not all.
When musicians are shown for example a better sounding instrument cable they typically jump at and demand such improvements.
Musicians know what they can create in their practice room, but have to contend with and accept inferior fidelity when playing live performances.
The good ones moderate/alter their playing to end up with the FOH PA sound resultant that they want to project.

Dan.

Have you been banished? ;)

Looks like you need this. The speaker cables are copper ribbon hung from silk threads attached to the ceiling. A riddle from the manufacturer...

All of our analog interconnects are highly directional. Most components output their signals with the same phase as when they entered. However, if you have a component that inverts phase, our passive interconnects must be turned around end for end to sound their best. In the case of reversed phase, the active Ebony analog interconnect must be ordered in reverse phase configuration and cannot be turned around. Please contact us for advice.

This reminds me of Kurt Schwitters "Merzbow".

Attachments

• room.jpg
    room.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
I just spoke by phone to Robert Harley and asked him specifically about the HCA2200 review that he did at 'Stereophile' twenty five years ago (April 1992). He told me that he always LISTENS FIRST, before looking at or analyzing the amp circuitry itself. He also told me that he felt sorry about my loss in the recent firestorm, and he really wanted my design to be successful. So much for sighted bias, and at least he remained honest with his listening conclusions. He thought it was not 'right' sounding. Later when I modified the amp and introduced the HCA2200 MK2, I finally passed the listening threshold with 'Stereophile'.
I trust Robert Harley on this, so there! '-)

I just spoke by phone to Robert Harley and asked him specifically about the HCA2200 review that he did at 'Stereophile' twenty five years ago (April 1992). He told me that he always LISTENS FIRST, before looking at or analyzing the amp circuitry itself. He also told me that he felt sorry about my loss in the recent firestorm, and he really wanted my design to be successful. So much for sighted bias, and at least he remained honest with his listening conclusions. He thought it was not 'right' sounding. Later when I modified the amp and introduced the HCA2200 MK2, I finally passed the listening threshold with 'Stereophile'.
I trust Robert Harley on this, so there! '-)

So:

1. LISTENS FIRST
2. Peeks under the hood
3. Writes review for Stereophile.

The review results/conclusions are now obvious.

Waly, you are full of it. Can't you read? '-) Also, to update Robert, I pointed out various inputs from you, and others on the DIY thread. When it came to your comment on 8 legged devices, he said that he uses lots of IC based equipment and it passes sonically, especially digital based playback equipment.

Last edited:
Waly, you are full of it. Can't you read? '-) Also, to update Robert, I pointed out various inputs from you, and others on the DIY thread. When it came to your comment on 8 legged devices, he said that he uses lots of IC based equipment and it passes sonically, especially digital based playback equipment.

Of course I am full of it. I always was and always will be when it comes to audio swindles. I always hope some of it will hit the fan and properly paint the perpetrators.

According to your write up, and your previous statement about, that's exactly what your beloved Stereophile and Absolute Sound reviewer did, in that order. And about Robert using op amps, doing what, building with them like Legos? I haven't heard of one Robert Harley as a famous electronics/audio designer, not even at the hobby level.

Of course I am full of it. I always was and always will be when it comes to audio swindles. I always hope some of it will hit the fan and properly paint the perpetrators.

According to your write up, and your previous statement about, that's exactly what your beloved Stereophile and Absolute Sound reviewer did, in that order. And about Robert using op amps, doing what, building with them like Legos? I haven't heard of one Robert Harley as a famous electronics/audio designer, not even at the hobby level.

What exactly is the swindle? Or, to put it another way, what would need to change to make it not a swindle in your view?

Obviously, if you don't get it by yourself, then it would be useless to further explain and expand on it.

Well, I see in the news today that drinking diet soda is associated with stroke and dementia. I guess that means purveyors of diet soda are violent felons? I don't see that either, but maybe you do? Does that make any sense to you?

Seriously, I don't see a swindle. I think you should explain it or retract the rant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.