John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
GM has been aware that citizens buying a hyper powerful supercar is dangerous to drive. They offered a driving class for their Corvette ZR-1, also. These cars are so quick, you are in trouble before you realize it or have reflex speed to exceed the cars.

U-tube has a bunch of pics of people not experienced with driving powerful cars, crashing them, easily. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAzO8Mbr9Gk

I wonder if a Bybee will help?

-RM

Similar problems with powerful motorcycles. People have inadvertently looped them by letting out the clutch too fast with the throttle too open.

Even after the clutch is fully engaged and the bike is rolling, without power limiters in first gear, merely opening the throttle too fast can cause them too loop, too.

Last edited:
Nothing new, energy out of passive devices is a common thread in JB's claims. This stuff is no more credible than the spoon benders or other sleight of hand.

Exactly. It is interesting to me that most of the "information" about these devices actually comes from reviewers or people like JC, the manufacturer is careful not to make any testable claims. Most of the second hand claims​ about the devices written by reviewers reveal an embarrassing lack of knowledge or even curiosity on the part of the reviewer. For example, he makes much of frequency dependant velocity of sound, but nitirogen is a nondispersive medium and sound velocity in that medium does not vary with frequency. Same with oxygen. CO2 is a dispersive medium and has a very slight effect on sound velocity at ultrasonic frequencies, but basically everything that reviewer wrote about sound wave propagation in air was made-up BS and just plain wrong. So how seriously should we take his evaluation?

I have said it before and I'll say it again: Lots of people hear lots of things. Some people stick little plastic dots or bits of embossed foil on their audio equipment and hear improvements. I do not question what they hear, but I think any reasonable person would conclude that it is far more likely that the act of sticking the dots on the gear had a bigger effect on the brain of the listener than on the sound produced by the gear. It has also been shown that allowing trained listeners to throw a switch, which is not actually connected to anything, will cause them to prefer the "sound" of one switch position over the other. Again I think it is unreasonable to conclude that the switch changed the produced sound, vs the perceived sound. Mr Bybee understands all this very well.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Richard,
Thinking of the slipstream?

Even the current Cameros can be had as pure animals. I've raced, but I would think twice before buying one of these to drive around in - ignoring the concept of snow! The top Vette has to be faster than the top Camero. They have probably blown past all reason when they offered these for sale.
These cars are so quick, you are in trouble before you realize it or have reflex speed to exceed the cars.
I agree completely with your comment here. We reached that level many, many years ago with the then powerful Corvettes that most would laugh at today. Those folks would be armchair racers looking at spec sheets. You only know once you've sat your rear into one of these cars and punched it coming out of a corner too soon. Everyone does this at least once.

-Chris

Okay. Was there ever a case were a team found they were faster with wider tires?
If so, then they may have tried even wider tires, and at some point they might have found that they tried tires that were too wide. In that case, wouldn't they then reasonably decide they would be faster with skinnier tires?

I look forward to your concrete example. As a rule I think you will find that all racing cars use the widest tires allowed by the rules, but as I said I look forward to hearing a counter example.

I look forward to your concrete example. As a rule I think you will find that all racing cars use the widest tires allowed by the rules, but as I said I look forward to hearing a counter example.

I made no claim about having an example. I asked if anybody ever tried tires that were too wide. Presumably if the rules did allow it, people would try to find an optimum width, which would probably at some point involve trying tires that were too wide. Wouldn't it be silly not to test wider tires, if it were allowed?

Last edited:
It has also been shown that allowing trained listeners to throw a switch, which is not actually connected to anything, will cause them to prefer the "sound" of one switch position over the other. Again I think it is unreasonable to conclude that the switch changed the produced sound, vs the perceived sound. Mr Bybee understands all this very well.

On this we agree. Although, I don't know if Mr. Bybee's products do anything at all, such as perhaps add distortion under some circumstances. In any case, whether they actually do anything or not, the explanations given for how they work sadly appear to constructed to fool the gullible, IMHO.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi Richard,
Thinking of the slipstream?

Even the current Cameros can be had as pure animals. I've raced, but I would think twice before buying one of these to drive around in - ignoring the concept of snow! The top Vette has to be faster than the top Camero. They have probably blown past all reason when they offered these for sale.

I agree completely with your comment here. We reached that level many, many years ago with the then powerful Corvettes that most would laugh at today. Those folks would be armchair racers looking at spec sheets. You only know once you've sat your rear into one of these cars and punched it coming out of a corner too soon. Everyone does this at least once.

-Chris

I used to auto-cross so spin-outs didn't hurt anything but time and a pylon. But eventually could drift around at max speed on the edge of control/no control and make some pretty good times. But the new cars are true super cars --- I never could ever consider full throttle in any gear of the ZR1.... in 1st gear only, it would do 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds and it was geared for top end speed not drag racing. Not enough reaction time to correct if any trouble.

But the rate of acceleration is the thrill and not the 200+ mph top speed capability. It was a scary ride/car to drive. Light weight and upped to 700 HP. You could blow the tires off at 60 mph in 3rd gear just by leaning into the gas peddle a little too quickly. Doing a fish-tail at speed is not fun. The car was out right dangerous. It could just about handle the power with soft compound 325 rear meats but after I upped it to 700HP.... nothing could hold it down. It was scary quick to drive. A true menace and danger to society. This heaver CTS-V does 0-60 in 3.6 sec...... Crazy for a 4000 pound car. But it does go into 4 cylinder operation at cruise or idle. Some socially redeeming value.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I made no claim about having an example. I asked if anybody ever tried tires that were too wide. Presumably if the rules did allow it, people would try to find an optimum width, which would probably at some point involve trying tires that were too wide. Wouldn't it be silly not to test wider tires, if it were allowed?

I remember back in the 70s Tyrrell designed a 6wheel F1 car; nobody had thought to include the number of wheels in the formula! They used 4 wheels in front, of very small diameter almost like gocart wheels. The point was to get the same contact patch or greater but better aerodynamics due to the lower tire height and presumably less turbulence. I don't think they were much skinnier than others, but it's the best example I can think of.

In every other case of which I am aware teams use the widest tires allowed. You may speculate about excessively wide tires if you wish. I'm sure you can find a pathological case where the cornering advantage would be offset by other disadvantages.

edit: I could be wrong but I don't think any major automotive racing team ever used a Blowtorch preamp.

Last edited:
U-tube has a bunch of pics of people not experienced with driving powerful cars, crashing them, easily. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAzO8Mbr9Gk

I wonder if a Bybee will help?

If only saltpeter tablets were as effective on these excitable boys as was once thought. Unfortunately the claims of "reducing male ardor" turned out to be about as substantive as those of some audio products.

Now BMW sent him to a high performance driving school which they operate, and in his case I think we can say it was free, though I am sure BMW expected some positive reviews, so maybe nothing in this world is free (he just didn't have to buy a car).

You cannot get a BMW with the 250 Km/h limit removed without attending the driving school. The manufacturers volunteered for this limit and the exceptions are few. I drive mine into the limit from time to time on an empty autobahn, but normally that is not possible because of people floating around in their 90 vs. 95 world, and you cannot impose your standards on them.

I was on the BMW motorbike cross country school (different thing) and kinda enjoyed it. I made 25 Km in the whole day and was completely destroyed in the afternoon. Completely. It did hurt the next 3 days. Ouch!

But I learned a lot there.
< https://www.enduropark-hechlingen.de/de/startseite/ >

Last edited:
You cannot get a BMW with the 250 Km/h limit removed without attending the driving school.
Yikes. Once I was visiting my brother and he had an M3 in the driveway. Nothing like RNMs Corvette, a mere 400 horsepower V8 (same block as their F1 engine but obviously different heads and detuned a lot), but very light and superb handling. I was driving it on a little country road near his place, and pushing a bit, and as we approached a sharp 90 degree bend he yelled "Don't brake!". So I didn't touch the brake but lifted off the throttle a bit just before the corner. He was very disappointed in me, felt we should have taken that corner at least 10Kmph faster. Oh well, I was not going to be the guy that put that car in the ditch.

We drove the M3 back to BMW that day and picked up an X5. The most thrilling part of that vehicle was watching the fuel gauge drop if you touched the gas.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Richard,
It's the surprise 4 wheel breakaway at speed that always gets my heart pumping. Running on public roads is something only an idiot does, and in my 20's and late teens I was a complete moron with way too much power at his disposal. When I think back on all the things I did .... I was a teensy bit reckless. I used to rip the sidewalls out for fun to win a bet. Junk tires on junk rims only. I even beat a motorcycle from a dead stop. That was glorious. He had me out of the hole, then it was all over for him.

I dunno Richard. Why we survive those times while others didn't escapes me. But, I have a healthy respect for real horsepower and a wide power band. You're understating the situation when you say that these current cars are dangerous.

Acceleration is the thrill. True. Nothing like being pinned in your seat with your face skin being pulled back. You're riding a rocket to disaster if you keep your foot in it. My car at that time hit second when it went through 70 MPH. I was too bloody chicken to see when third hit. When it hit second, it was laying rubber with both sides all over again. When it hooked, everything started going by real fast. Speedo was useless up there. Never once got caught. Chased yeah, but caught would have had me serving jail time.

Told you I was a complete moron.

-Chris

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Lets talk about something that defies rationality. I was asked to look at Devialet's IP to see why they were worth an investment of over $100M. (https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/28/h...rom-foxconn-jay-z-rubins-playground-and-more/)
I found 11 patents of which 3 are utility and those are for linear amplifiers. I don't think anyone since Widlar has had IP for linear amplifiers worth even 10% of that number.
For what its worth here are the patent links:
United States Patent: 7545212
United States Patent: 8901998
United States Patent: 9257949

And one for a switched power supply:
United States Patent: 9190928

After looking at these I think I need a better sales guy.

Their claim is "Devialet has figured out a way of removing all distortion to produce a giant sound with a strong bass line, from what are otherwise pretty compact pieces of kit."

Maybe we should all climb under the nearest rock.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yikes. Once I was visiting my brother and he had an M3 in the driveway. Nothing like RNMs Corvette, a mere 400 horsepower V8 (same block as their F1 engine but obviously different heads and detuned a lot), but very light and superb handling. I was driving it on a little country road near his place, and pushing a bit, and as we approached a sharp 90 degree bend he yelled "Don't brake!". So I didn't touch the brake but lifted off the throttle a bit just before the corner. He was very disappointed in me, felt we should have taken that corner at least 10Kmph faster. Oh well, I was not going to be the guy that put that car in the ditch.

hahaha That's great story! I have a windy two lane country road I drive back and forth on, so I know every turn by heart. I had a 427 high compression Corvette with cam, headers, valves train et al done...... On a two lane road there is a left hander.... on the right is a very deep quarry hole. I came down that road so fast towards that left hand turn that a car coming the other way.... actually stopped his car in his lane on the road rather than meet me at the turn... I guess he was going to watch me crash and didn't want any part of it. I saw him stopped so I didn't lift and cut the inside corner and flew past his and his passenger unbelieving look on their faces.

These cars are not only fast... they handle, break and do everything on a very high level.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi Richard,
I dunno Richard. Why we survive those times while others didn't escapes me. But, I have a healthy respect for real horsepower and a wide power band. You're understating the situation when you say that these current cars are dangerous.

Acceleration is the thrill. True. Nothing like being pinned in your seat with your face skin being pulled back. You're riding a rocket to disaster if you keep your foot in it. My car at that time hit second when it went through 70 MPH. I was too bloody chicken to see when third hit. Told you I was a complete moron.

-Chris

I am still a kid at heart. :)

-RM

I find new cars depressing. They look neat, some cool tech... but they've robbed the mystic, the legends, and everything that really gave appeal back in the day. To me someone like the guy from the movie "The Fastest Indian" is so much cooler than a Nissan GTR (I think they're an atrocity to cool). There's just something about having limitations that makes things exciting, as well as intimate care like sweet valve grinding jobs. It's a lot easier to marvel at new cars for their impressive feats in the way that they're like any other commodity where the idea is much cooler than the experience. I'm being sold numbers and prestige, not experiences I truly appreciate.

Although I surely admit for daily drivers engines today are superior. I'd consider swapping one into an older car for sure, but not in the sport sense, just for a daily. There's zero question that I prefer today's reliability for daily use, and I'll accept that with the loss of care for the shell since the car is a tool. But I can see myself owning a restored something ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.