John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
JFor the Physicists reading:

I don't have a good enough understanding of electrostatics to say what happens when a conductor is between two conductors that have a potential. If the conductor is not connected to them I believe it will adopt a potential relative to them proportional to the capacitance. If its connected to one of the conductors then it won't have a potential to the conductor its connected to. In the second case would the lack of a potential between the conductors be affected by the electrostatic field from the conductor with a potential? If so, how and how much?

This is the situation with the Audioquest design as far as I can tell.

Well, the whole idea behind the DBS system is to bias the dielectric, not the conductors.

se

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
USB and other digital cables

While I can understand what might go wrong in a digital cable (noise especially) most don't seem to suffer irreparable harm.

For example. In a recent test I was able to make bit perfect recordings of complex music via USB and SPDIF. Signal flow thus: USB cable->Converter->Coax cable->Converter->USB cable. No fancy cables, except maybe the Canare coax.

If there were any errors along the way, something fixed them. So the end result was perfect, bit perfect.

Heavens to Van der Waal's forces. The one with the greatest resistance to deformation and therefore fluctuating capacitance resulting from geometric distortion in the face of Van der Waals forces wins. I guess that would be.....ceramic.

I meant the electrostatic force, it's attractive for either polarity. Imagine an unbiased electrostatic speaker.

Dielectric bias

Well, the whole idea behind the DBS system is to bias the dielectric, not the conductors.

se

And Steve, you already got to the kernel of the issue; is there a non-linearity at the "zero" crossing that this bias eliminates?

Quite frankly, this biasing is done every day with normal phantom powered condenser microphone channels. The preamp supplies a constant 48 volt bias between pin 1 and 2+3. SO........ will we now hear people attributing a difference or improvement in the sound of condenser microphones over dynamic mics due to this dielectric biasing? Maybe 48 volts isn't enough to bias the cable non-linearity? You see where this could lead.

If there is a non-linearity to the cable dielectric, then all test equipment cables would show the phenomenon in all measurements to one degree or another, so we would never be able to see past that distortion.

Really, the issue that needs to be settled (IMHO it has been debunked already) is the presence of any cable non-linearity at the zero crossing.

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC FM 89.3
Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org
1st on the Internet

The presumed diode effect is easy to disprove. If it existed, then THD measurements at very low signal levels would be high and rise as signal level is decreased just the way it does for crossover notch distortion in class AB amplifiers that are not properly biased. I have never heard that such distortion has been reported for cables.

A.J. van den Hul believes it is there. Don't ask me for his analysis though.

He's talking about "diodes" in the wire itself rather than the dielectric. This is the reason he gives to justify his carbon fiber "sparkplug wires."

This seems to stem from the notion that there is copper oxide between the copper grains in the wire and as everybody knows, they make diodes using copper oxide.

But to make a copper oxide diode, you need to go from copper, to copper oxide, to something other than copper (often lead). So the notion is a bit misplaced.

But hey, it scares the bejeezuz out of people and makes for good marketing literature.

se

If normal copper wire was full of micro-diodes with crossover distortion then this would create third-order distortion. It is possible to make radio receivers with a third-order spurious free dynamic range of 100dB. This means that ordinary copper is at least somewhat better than that. Ordinary wire has a much better dynamic range than CD, LP or FM radio. A similar argument applies to cable insulation. You would need to come up with a mechanism which only affects audio, not radio. Possible, but unlikely.

Wouldn't going from copper to copper oxide to copper give you two back-to-back diodes?

Don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think so. I mean, if it takes copper/copper oxide/lead to make a diode, then it seems you'd have to have copper/copper oxide/lead/copper oxide/copper to make a pair of back to back diodes.

Perhaps SY can shed some light on this.

se

oxygen is intentionally included in "tough pitch" copper commonly used in wire to form insoluble oxides with contaminants - which, along with Cu2O, precipitate out as discrete particles - not uniform films spanning the wire diameter or even crystal faces – although they are concentrated at the crystal interfaces

as discrete particles they are completely surrounded (== shorted out) by bulk copper - "large" particle size mean is < 10 um dia

Last edited:
oxygen is intentionally included in "tough pitch" copper commonly used in wire to form insoluble oxides with contaminants - which, along with Cu2O, precipitate out as discrete particles - not uniform films spanning the wire diameter or even crystal faces – although they are concentrated at the crystal interfaces

as discrete particles they are completely surrounded (== shorted out) by bulk copper

Yup.

Taking the impurities out of solution increases the conductivity of the copper.

se

You beat me to it, the fact that copper with oxygen conducts better than copper without oxygen is very much glossed over by the golden price bracket salesmen...

Actually oxygen free copper (OFHC) conducts as well as oxygenated ETP copper. But to achieve that it needs to be of a higher intrinsic purity. Typically OFHC will be at least 99.9999% pure.

se

He's talking about "diodes" in the wire itself rather than the dielectric. This is the reason he gives to justify his carbon fiber "sparkplug wires."

This seems to stem from the notion that there is copper oxide between the copper grains in the wire and as everybody knows, they make diodes using copper oxide.

But to make a copper oxide diode, you need to go from copper, to copper oxide, to something other than copper (often lead). So the notion is a bit misplaced.

But hey, it scares the bejeezuz out of people and makes for good marketing literature.

se

I've seen one example of this about 20 years ago. A contractor installed some smoke detectors in a laboratory building I worked at. He spliced solid wire to stranded wire extending existing strings of heads. The panel zone alarms he connected more heads to went into continuous nuissance alarm. There was a lot of RF from the labs in that building. The copper runs were the antennas and the junction between the solid and stranded copper were the detector diodes. I solved it by shunting the zone alarm inputs with .047 mfd caps. This was effectively a shunt at RF, open at DC which is what the alarms worked on. I've never seen anything like it though at audio frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.