John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark,
And are we going to use a Xeon processor to use a Mhz streaming digital audio signal? If you are really trying to produce a digital stream that looks like an analog signal why even bother with digital at all, of course this is the never ending conversation of ever increasing bit rate and clock speeds. So what you get one song on a DVD and we call it a single!

Mark,
And are we going to use a Xeon processor to use a Mhz streaming digital audio signal? If you are really trying to produce a digital stream that looks like an analog signal why even bother with digital at all, of course this is the never ending conversation of ever increasing bit rate and clock speeds. So what you get one song on a DVD and we call it a single!

Stick with a non-hyperthreading i3 if you're going for pure clock speed, the (big $) Xeons usually are built with a lot of cores. ;)

Funny how I was looking up the Martin Burgess Clock B the other day and immediately someone brings it up here.

Is the internals of that thing top secret? Still can't find any information about why it works or why it works better than other similar clocks. I would think someone would have written a blog article about it at least.

Mark,

Sony made SACD disks and players. There are also DSD recorders available. For mixing and other processing, DSD has to be converted to PCM, which is slow and must be done offline, not in real time.

Still, some mastering engineers like to use analog processing on PCM digital mixes sent to them to finalize into a record. They may convert to DSD, do the analog processing, then back into a DSD recorder, then convert back to PCM to finish off. If that's what they feel they have to do to get the best results, okay by me.

All this DSD stuff was first developed so Sony could archive master tapes in high resolution and be non committal about final sample rate and format. I remember reading 20 years ago that DSD could be passed through almost any preamp circuit and the carrier would be filtered out because almost no audio preamp circuits run more than a Mhz bandwidth.

The Birth of DSD ? Part II | Real HD-Audio

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
A few MHz of bandwidth. A fair amount of information here and references to some of the arguments back and forth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

Good stuff.... has wet my interest in furthering exploring and improving it...... reminded me of 1 bit also and see there is a place for it, too. In fact it comes closer to the idea of just needing a filter. The 'problem' of not able to dither doesnt seem to be needed in practice.

What ever more there is to it, I (RM) am not going to do it, for sure. But would like to try it and see whats in it. How would one get started in this direction of no DAC? What to buy and maybe add filtering??

THx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012

DSD and one bit --- at the conclusion there is some admission that DSD would be better than CD.

So I wonder how to upgrade players/DAC for improving the DSD -> analog output. BUT, I'm in luck! The Benchmark 2 (which I own) handles the DSD also. So all I need to do is buy good DSD music sources and play them and enjoy. The rest of you are out of luck unless you get into modifying stock DSD players.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
RNM,
It seems you are sometimes all over the map on what you think is important to best audio quality. For a while you were talking about how important high resolution downloads were as so much music sounded so bad to you and then whoa. along comes a new set of speakers and you realize that much of the problem was just your choice of speakers, which you thought at the time were superior. Now you ask JC to embark on a highest quality electronics package which JC just points to as having to be expensive or it just doesn't count as best in practice. Many would look at your room you are listening to music in and say you aren't a serious listener, your room is completely incorrect for best sound. so this is just a circular logic type of argument, you can run in circles and keep chasing the Holy Grail but there are no perfect or even best practices in this audio field. I bet I could come up with a dozen people who would say the JBL M2 is fatally flawed in some respects, there are just no universal agreements that can lead you to the promised land.

Sure there are. And I have evolved along with my system components to a very refined level at this late point in life. As for the room... it is more refined than perhaps you realize or can see on the surface.

next step forward (I hope) will be the new amplifiers.... then we will see how important 200W vs 5000W is to the compression effect issue.

THx-RNMarsh

I think I will add a quote to my CV. Coming from mr. Curl, it may help me getting the next EE job.

He shouldn't have started up the name calling again, but at some point we need to stop with that and any other insults. We should be all be grown up enough to avoid flame wars here.

JC: It would help if you would be willing to retract that last reference to clueless. That's what seemed to get things started up again. If you feel exasperated or something in the future, please try to find some other approach to making things better.

Status
Not open for further replies.