John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I failed that question myself. In my book, twigs don't have leaves. So is Merriam-Webster saying Twig | Definition of Twig by Merriam-Webster

Definition of twig

1: a small shoot or branch usually without its leaves

2: a minute branch of a nerve or artery

In my book that means you are smarter than the author of the test. More test taking skill would have led you to the answer the test expected.

Not a good test. I am confident my IQ is not 170! (169 at best! :) )

Amusing, in biology class here it's :
Stem => twig (1-2 year old stem) => branch (3 years old)
From a bud on a stem can either grow : flower, leave, or twig.

Must be a semantics thing

I would agree with that. A twig is essentially a competitor or successor to a leaf.

Now for more fun, a stick, a board and a plank can all be the same piece of wood. A furniture maker, a carpenter and a shipwright use different terms for what can be the same item. From my family I often use sticks.

stubbornness

More like exercise.

I've been a calcuholic since youngster years, scribble calculations on everything from the TV guide to pages of the daily newspaper, drives my partner up the wall at times.
Calculation is what I do for a living. An msc curriculum at tech-u was years and years of calculating every part/section/hold of a ship hull, with math classes in simplifying techniques for manual & head count calculations by analysing the numbers. Such questions take me seconds to solve.

The question where 8 was out of order (alternately +1 and times 2) was the tough one to crack, took me an age to realise that one had to be taken out instead of replaced. Either the jet lag in my system, or just not fluent enough with basically simple terms as 'does not belong'.

Amusing, in biology class here it's :
Stem => twig (1-2 year old stem) => branch (3 years old)
From a bud on a stem can either grow : flower, leave, or twig.

Must be a semantics thing

So the question was testing the biology knowledge of the HUT (Human Under Test), not the logic which requires nothing more than common/dictionary level knowledge? Have I checked MW before answering, I would have checked the same wrong answer.

I have for some time suspecting you are one of the highest IQ individuals around. To bad you are using your IQ only for spitting peanut shells from the gallery.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
They spoke French, despite being of viking descent and living in Normandy. Their blood (somewhat diluted) flows in my daughters. IIRC Rollo the viking blocked the river with his ships and demanded land, so was given Normandy. The rest as they say, is history.

EDIT: AFAIK my blood is basic saxon peasant through and through. I have, with second brood taken steps to improve on that ;)

They spoke French, despite being of viking descent and living in Normandy. Their blood (somewhat diluted) flows in my daughters. IIRC Rollo the viking blocked the river with his ships and demanded land, so was given Normandy. The rest as they say, is history.

EDIT: AFAIK my blood is basic saxon peasant through and through. I have, with second brood taken steps to improve on that ;)
No they didn't. They had their own Norse-French hybrid.

More like exercise.

The question where 8 was out of order (alternately +1 and times 2) was the tough one to crack, took me an age to realise that one had to be taken out instead of replaced. Either the jet lag in my system, or just not fluent enough with basically simple terms as 'does not belong'.

That's the one I got.

The other just pissed me off.

spitting peanut shells

I've attended this thread for well over a decade : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/71189-john-curls-blowtorch-preamplifier.html#post810164
You're quite true, due time to leave it be.

(Level of intelligence is an identifiable and unmistakable fingerprint, a test outcome does not make a decade of difference, merely offers single-digit accuracy. Plenty of university professors nowadays barely make it to the 135th floor. Really good at fundraising for scientific projects at faculties, some even buy themselves into a lecture seat, but very often not the brightest of men. Not even the ones at medical schools. Your posted 138 was somewhat of a surprise, definitely a rather bad test)

Wow, twig! So the question set does not change? That's the same question I got 2 years ago when a company gave me the test during my job interview.

Jay, The "IQ" test is limited by the author's limits.

But do we have not limitations? In such situation I would think that if I'm smart then I should be able to guess what the author's intention is. There should be a pattern in thinking!

The best example on that test is that a twig does not have leaves.

Imo, a twig may have leaves on it (e.g. in summer) or not (e.g. in winter). When there's no leaves, it looks outstanding (it is invisible when there are leaves on it), that's why a twig is often "correlated" with a body without leaves...

But this is an IQ test, not a Biology test :)

Imo, the author wants us to understand the analogy by associating a human body to a tree:

Human ---> Tree
Skin ---> Bark
Trunk ---> Trunk
Leg ---> Root
Arm ---> Branch
Hand ---> Twig
Fingers ---> Leaves

This test shows how Gc (Crystallized Intelligence) or IQ test score can improve with more knowledge. English is not my language, but my TOEFL score is the highest among hundreds of employees. I think, if I want to prepare for it, I can make it 100% correct next time.

Two years ago when I took this test, one question was about a name of a city, given a scrambled letters. I only need a few seconds to see the name of the city. Reason? Because I'm a computer guy. Everyone knows what MySql is. If you learn this free database software, you will learn through it's sample database which is called WORLD. It is a database of countries, cities, etc... My computer knowledge (my familiarity with WORLD database) made it easy for me to answer the IQ test question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.