John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote "It's encouraging to see youngsters recognize good music and . . . "AC/DC?
You're kidding, right?
Haha, I mean youngsters liking honest old school rock'n'roll as opposed to the current pap.
I needed some music with very low dynamic range for my presentation I did years ago for Burning Amp on 'loudness wars'. The absolute best (worst) I could find was AC/DC A whole lot of Rosie.
Horribly mastered, absolutely no dynamics to speak off, and probably clipping 90% of the time.
Instructive in a twisted sort of way.
Yes, I use a few AccaDacca tracks as full on test tracks, instructive in a good way on particular tracks, and not that one.
R.E.M. - What's The Frequency, Kenneth? is another useful track.

Every genre has it's Mozart, within what they do, AC/DC are amongst the greatest. Not quite Bach, though.
I enjoy both.
For total energy rock'n'roll, AcDc are at the top of the genre.
Seriously INTENSE performance. Notable. As in, WTF are these guys doing!!
They're the only band I recall from that tour that stood out and left an imprint.
Don't own any CDs of theirs, but quite a performance on that stage. fwiw.
Yes, forget going to 11, these guys go straight to 12.
I thought Max's dongles fix all that, post facto pataphysically speaking.
They do reduce system rough edges.
I am exploring further curious effects.

Dan.

Well in a pataphysical world jitter, for instance, becomes information. After all suppose the data on your SD card is just large packets of charge on some MOS gate. Well then if the number of charges is different for each bit can't jitter get remembered too?
Like I said Flash memory is prone to noisy numbers of electrons delivered to the eight voltage state (3 bit) memory cells.
Write and read errors are expected, and error detection and correction is built in to Flash memory systems.
It could be that differing errors are causing differing correction activity that then translates to differing data output timing....dunno, just some thoughts.
USB magnetic HD also exhibits subjective PB differences in two copies of same file that a File Checker Tool reports as being same binary data.
Emailing the two files together preserves a subjective difference.
I need to run more permutations to see if emailing changes sent files wrt local HD original file copies.
Something very curious is going on.

Dan.

Something very curious is going on.

Dan.

Maybe you could post sample files that show what you mean?

Regarding possible differences in output timing, normally things get reclocked somewhere in the DAC. For a DAC-1 everything goes into a buffer memory in the DAC box that stores the data until it is clocked out by the internal DAC-1 clock. Don't know how any timing differences in a computer could survive that.

Last edited:

Quite. Be interesting to do a bit-wise compare of the files. If no difference there, the only differences would be the file names and/or other metadata unique to a particular copy of a file. Hard to see how that might affect anything. Between files being bitwise identical and being reclocked identically, there would not seem to be way to account for any different sound. I suppose that if you had a suspicious virus scanner that dynamically delayed one file intermittently while it checked it, and the player software tried to make up for a late buffer now and then by repeating the last good buffer, or something like that, then maybe some artifact could be produced. However, if you sent the digital out to the DAC by SPDIF, for example, used a SPDIF splitter to pick off a copy of the bitstream being sent out the the DAC, and then recorded the bitstream to a new file, then you should see bit pattern changes in the new file as compared to the original if any artifacts or changes actually occured.

It would, however, be a lot of work for something unlikely to pay off...

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I needed some music with very low dynamic range for my presentation I did years ago for Burning Amp on 'loudness wars'. The absolute best (worst) I could find was AC/DC A whole lot of Rosie.
Horribly mastered, absolutely no dynamics to speak off, and probably clipping 90% of the time.

Instructive in a twisted sort of way.

Jan

Not surprising - most of that 'post-appopolectic thrash metal punk' is like that.

Worst I can recall was 'Accelerate' from REM. Some of the stuff Waly and Scott listen to however might eclipse it :D

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Or it's pure, abject hokey pokey. I'm going with Occam here...

On the flipside, I appreciated the fact that some kids in the neighborhood were enjoying rocking out to tunes, regardless everyone's opinion of AC/DC.

Oh yes, I've been 'rocking out' on AC/DC too in my time (very long time ago), despite it being so horrible.
In the right circumstances and company and state of inducement it can fit the occasion perfectly :cool:

Jan

Most, but not all, modern popular music is played with some degree of swing (or funk). Typically, it mostly has to do with the timing of how 1/8th notes are played. Unfortunately, written music notation has no accurate way of conveying what that aspect of music is supposed to sound like. Therefore, most classical music is played pretty straight. Or if there is temporal variation, it is sometimes meant to be artsy and fluid, and not dance-able like modern pop music usually is. The only exception I know of is Viennese waltz's, which are traditionally played with a time-extended 2nd beat (in 3/4 time). So anyway, I am left wondering if in classical times they ever played their music with a bit more of a groove to it than the way we usually hear it interpreted today.

I have no problem with AC/DC. What gets me is a boring form of music that I call 'dinner music'. Sort of like 'elevator music', I found it being played at an audio display at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, one year. It was surprisingly boring.

Windham Hill? They used to do very careful analog recordings in the 80's. They do have some good stuff too.

Last edited:
If you hit all the notes right on the beat it sounds technical. Right on the front of the beat is rushed. All the swing and groove is the application of playing just behind the beat to varying degrees. Taken to extremes will push 4 beats into the territory of triplets. It's all feel and no one can be force trained to do it really right. It just comes or not.

BTW ACDC is pretty bare bones rock. Never was my cup of tea. But the head turner with them is the sales they commanded.

Last edited:
To whit:

From 2016 reviews in Stereopile mag. (randomly found)

Would anyone here accept an amp that passed a square wave that looked anything like this??

Attachments

• SIMAUDIOMOON EVOLUTION2016 SQ WAV.jpg
    SIMAUDIOMOON EVOLUTION2016 SQ WAV.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 170
  • PSAUDIO NUWAVE DSD 2016.jpg
    PSAUDIO NUWAVE DSD 2016.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 175
Status
Not open for further replies.