John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,

They were coming from outlets about 1 m apart (workshop is brand new - fresh wiring etc). Thing is, the Rigol is plugged into the socket right next to the Tek. Amplifier is isolated thru the transformer - assume this is enough?

However, let me try your trick. I'll post some picks up.

Damn. A $600 Rigol is quieter than a $3k TeK machine.
I'd try using the same duplex outlet.

It can also be confounding with an iso if the safety bond travels through (as it should).

This safety thing is such a bother...

John

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ok - here goes.

I'm using the same duplex mains outlet for both the Tek and the Rigol.

Rigol shows about 10-20mV pk to pk at ~70 kHz no matter where I locate its probe.

The Tek can show up to 1V pk to pk when I locate the probe near the PSU on the rear, and about 100mV with the probe on the bench, about 1" from the scope.

Turn the Tek off - silence - problem has gone away.

Pic 1 - Rigol and Tek are on and noise is displayed
Pic 2 - Tek is turned off - no noise on Rigol
Pic 3 - Rigol probe placed under the Tek
Pic 4 - SMPSU hash picked up by coil placed close to Tek LCD screen
Pic 5 - noise from Tek measured by Rigol with 10k resistor across probe. Probe located under Tek about 1" from case

Attachments

• Noise -  Rigol and Tek on.JPG
    Noise - Rigol and Tek on.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Noise - Tek OFF - no noise on Rigol.JPG
    Noise - Tek OFF - no noise on Rigol.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Rigol probe placed close to Tek SMPSU.JPG
    Rigol probe placed close to Tek SMPSU.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 182
  • SMPSU switching hash picked up by Tek  -coil placed close to LCD.JPG
    SMPSU switching hash picked up by Tek -coil placed close to LCD.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 10k resistor across Rigol probe placed close to Tek.JPG
    10k resistor across Rigol probe placed close to Tek.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Do you get any radiation from the Rigol? If its the main switcher there may be an internal problem? Someone left part of the ferrite off the main transformer?

The mid-market Keysight scopes are made by Rigol, maybe they are a decent alternative. I would only be looking at Tek for the ultra high speed samplers and then its a toss up between them and LeCroy. The other curious think about the top of theline scopes is the 3-4 year service life before they are obsoleted by the market needs. I asked Agilent, LeCroy and Tek about this before specifying a DSA fro Tek. Essentialy they said just by a new one (for $150K).

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Both the Tek and Agilent scopes due this to some extent on an AP especially our new 525 AP with its low noise floor. I keep a good old Tek 2245 4 ch 200 Mhz scope around. I leave the fancy one for decoding serial bus lines and other things it is great for.

I have a funny story on monitors and AP's from years ago at Threshold.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
No radiation from the Rigol - zip. I did open it up just to take a look about 6 months ago. The whole PSU section is enclosed in a metal frame. From what I can see through the slots in the housing, the Tek PSU is not encased.

I will email Tek tomorrow to see what the story is.

Id rather get my money back and try to get a good 2nd hand analog scope. This Tek BTW was a replacement after the storage company trashed my Philips analog scope.

I really need a scope with a good 2mV/Div performance

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Both the Tek and Agilent scopes due this to some extent on an AP especially our new 525 AP with its low noise floor. I keep a good old Tek 2245 4 ch 200 Mhz scope around. I leave the fancy one for decoding serial bus lines and other things it is great for.

I have a funny story on monitors and AP's from years ago at Threshold.

Thanks for the insight. Looks like SMPSU garbage is here to stay.

No radiation from the Rigol - zip. I did open it up just to take a look about 6 months ago. The whole PSU section is enclosed in a metal frame. From what I can see through the slots in the housing, the Tek PSU is not encased.

I will email Tek tomorrow to see what the story is.

Id rather get my money back and try to get a good 2nd hand analog scope. This Tek BTW was a replacement after the storage company trashed my Philips analog scope.

I really need a scope with a good 2mV/Div performance

IIRC, a guy on usenet group sci.electronics.design also complained
about a Tek scope where a lot of radiation came out of the LCD.

I have an 3 GHz Anritsu pulse generator that makes soo beautiful pulses:
flat, fast risetime, absolutely no ringing when watched on a 50 GHz scope;
I don't think I could produce those that nice.

But at the same time it generates conducted noise that one cannot measure
anything. I used the 30m lawn mover cable to power it from a distant socket
somewhere else in the house.

I need an isolation transformer but the ones I looked at have toroid cores,
they may be safe, but I don't expect much noise suppression from them.

Also, my 4 channel 200 MHz analog Iwatsu scope failed for the 2nd time
in maybe 30 vears. First time it was a transistor in the x deflection, now it
does not focus any more. At least all the circuits are in the manual.

regards, Gerhard

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I've mentioned before that I cornered Hofer at an AES event to ask him about the SMPS in the new Aps. I forgot that I should have worn my "Pardon me, I'm from California" badge as my dialogue was somewhat profane, and he winced noticeably. But so it goes.

He said he had been skeptical about the departure from the classical toroid-based mains supply, and that it had required a lot of work with vendors and spending a good deal more money, but that the SMPS in the new beasts was good enough that one could no longer see line-frequency-related stuff in the DFTs. In addition to substantial shielding, the secret sauce was a very good common mode choke.

The occasion for the profanity was when I said I'd seen a post (in another forum) alleging that switching supplies now had output noise in the low microvolt region, and that I had declared Bull$hit about this. Bruce said No, theirs was in the low millivolt region, with the good circuitry it supplied having plenty of power supply rejection. I said that sounded quite reasonable.

Was doing some late night work on my power amp and could not get a clean - i.e noise free signal from my new Tektronix scope while monitoring the output of my amp. I've got ~72 kHz at c. 100mV pk-pk coming out of my power amp - both channels. I'm sure its not a stability issue - the square wave plots are well behaved and the bias current and offset are stable. When I unplug the input, its quiet. The cable from my sig gen to my amp is about 500mm long and not of a particularly good quality.

Anyway, with the Tek plugged in and showing a less than ideal trace, I powered up the Rigol. Same thing - so it must be the amp.

I power down the Tektronix for some reason - the problem disappears. That cannot be. I power it up again. 72 kHz showing on the Rigol.

Turns out, the LCD screen, or the Artesyn power supply that sits behind it (I can see the name through the ventilation slots) is pumping this dirt out. I wound a few turns of wire into a coil and connected it to the rigol. Its definitely coming from the Tektronix.

The low level trace (5mV FS) on the Rigol is clean, but not the Tek. I've been chasing my tail for hours.

Anyone have a similar experience and do I have grounds to tell Tek its not acceptable? Its a 4 channel 200 MHz BW 1GS scope.

Oh how I miss my Philips analog scope . . . .

Yes, we have a bunch of shoebox sized Tek TDS2114 and 3114 scopes that nobody wants to use, precisely for that reason: the LCD CFL inverter radiates like crazy. That, and the absurdly small sample memory (4k, if memory serves). Not sure what industry segment Tek targeted with these scopes, they are not even upgradeable for a price.

Our favorite for general test purposes is the Tek754 500MHz scope. Some prefer the LeCroys, in the same class, for their superb math processing features and deeper memory, but are otherwise considered awkward from an usability perpective.

My favorite scope is a TEK 485. Kind of a small screen, but it is a well focused one. Heard about it first from one of its designers at a UCB seminar, and thought it was extra special. I also have a 100MHz 7000 series memory scope. I have virtually forgotten how to use the memory function, but I used the same series back in 1978 when I wrote my IEEE paper on MC phono cartridge mistracking. Today's scopes could be a lot easier to use, I would presume, for the testing I had to do back then. I have a couple of other scopes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.