John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
wahab said:
Granted but it carries 80% of the average power, not of the instantaneous power over all parts of the curve.
If you want to talk instantaneous power then the fundamental at peak has 160% of the square wave power. Does that mean that everything else sums to -60%? Instantaneous power is not a useful measure.

You are thinking that a 1W amplifier that has duty cycle of 1% can be used for 100W peaks, at least that s what you said amount to.
Not at all. As I said, if heat is the only issue then you can use a 1W amplifier for 1% of the time for 100W peaks. I don't believe that heat is the only issue, and implied as much.

john curl said:
I'm sure that many of our critics of hi end have inexpensive audio equipment as well,
Ah! The 'unbelievers are poor' claim. I guess that is a change from 'the unbelievers are deaf' or 'the unbelievers are (gasp!) engineers'. Is audio the only branch of engineering where "engineer" is used as an insult?

Bill, you are right and this is known to work. It delivers more undistorted SPL than 850 Watts over a conventional analog crossover. To compare peak SPL, you should add voltages, not watts.

Wahab, your premise is still that sub ms rail to rail peaks exist in music. From experience and from what I can find on the subject, that is just not true.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Unlike that silly battery-operated unit discussed elsewhere on the forum, the performance here is OK. The tube stage needs some work to get the distortion down (it may or may not be audible, but it's easy to get it an order of magnitude or two better to assure that it's inaudible), and the headphone performance is dreadful, but the phono looks fine.

$1700 for "OK" performance seems a bit steep, but chacun a son gout.

edit: I misread the distortion plot. That looks OK, low enough. My apologies, need moar coffee.
As usual Atkinson measures phono performance with a low Z input from his Ap, thus missing the contributions of parallel noise from the bipolar LT1115 and the termination resistor, important for MM.

And why the headphone response is down at high frequencies is baffling.

Instantaneous power is not a useful measure.

So instantaneaous amplitude is not important as well...??.

There s a bank of amplitude that is formed if a low amplitude amp is not stressed for some time..?.

Not at all. As I said, if heat is the only issue then you can use a 1W amplifier for 1% of the time for 100W peaks. I don't believe that heat is the only issue, and implied as much.

That s how some people think here but curiously they apply this logic to amplitude, since a lot of amplitude time a low duty rate is equal to a low power they conclude that a low power (hence low amplitude) amplifier is enough...

In a 1ms rising ramp the contribution of the fundamental is extremely low since her sine has very low value at t = 0.001s but even this small contribution is dispatched to the tweeter, because what the filter see is a dV/dT at this moment and its time constant "tell him" that he must be almost a short when the voltage swing as fast.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
The average power for a tweeter amp may well be smaller than for other bands, but you really don't want to clip peaks.

It reminds me of Don Keele's tests with teeny transducers at very low duty cycles. I have forgotten exactly how much peak power he managed before obvious signs of the parts really falling apart, but it was a bunch. Of course if sustained they would have incinerated swiftly.

Unfortunately it is a design challenge to have a peak voltage capability of, say, a few hundred volts, while preserving efficiency and having a "plant model" of the transducer in a system to monitor self-heating and engage protection.

The content of my wallet tends to reach my cerebral content.
(Asymptotically. I hope there will always be money for a morning coffee and a late beer)

George

George, you must be a 0.05%er, then. :) I don't know why you condescend yourself with us lot, haha.

Life without the latter(s) isn't worth living.

(Fingers only uncurled from my coffee mug long enough to deliver this message. :D)

Considering that most dome tweeters have efficiency over 91db and some as high as 96db for one watt who would need a 100 watt amp to drive them for any reasonable home use? What is the power required to play a piano at a reasonable rate for the widest dynamic range, what is truly required to reach perhaps a max of 110db in a home for a piano? Perhaps 50 watts with the 91db dome tweeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.