John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, in other cases where minimizing distortion is the primary goal,

I don't think that 'minimal distortion' can be the only goal, when there are exist other independent performance variables (even 'distortion' can have a lot of facets).

The more the variables, the more one should realize that one performance metric is not possible.

The amplifier and the speaker should be one system where performance measurement should be based on. Based on some restrictions such as required SPL, room condition, etc.

when people confuse preference and fidelity. But shame on me for thinking HiFi is about fidelity.

The question is how to measure this 'fidelity'.

This has been discussed (or rather, mentioned) many times. But still, I don't (fully) understand why we can't have the same understandings.

That's the lowest that I know. Ime, the lower sounds better. I think people should measure theirs, especially with the new cheap offerings.

The minimum is 0.15V according to the datasheet, the TOP3 versions 2SK1058/2SJ162 have also this value.

If 'residuals' means harmonics, that is very strange (if not wonderful). -150dB with such a simple topology is suspicious.

I m talking of harmonics of course, not with a symmetrical differential but with a single input differential, of course this stage as well as the rest have to be linearized accordingly.

Have heard but not sure about it. I thought that it is just to make things easier to design. I guess that if it is approached like speaker design, meaning that everything (such as individual drivers behavior, gain structure, etc.) is taken into account, then it shouldn't matter.

I will observe this in the future.

Say a 20Hz square wave at 100V pp and a two way passive system with crossover at 1KHz, let s assume that it start at t = 0.

During the first 250us the full rising hedge is dispatched to the tweeter while the voltage that get to the woofer slowly rise from 0 to reach full amplitude only after 100ms when the fundamental reach its first maximum.

So the tweeter will see the full amplitude before it s the woofer that get the full amplitude signal in due time.

Does it apply to low wattage amps for use with sensitive speakers or smaller rooms? I cannot see why it has to be useless.

Of course, it s the low and non linear input impedance of a double EF that increase the VAS distorsion, a triple EF input Z will keep being non linear but its very high value doesnt load the VAS significantly, hence the non linearity has less room to make its effect.

I regard those who do trust their ears as being naive, or lacking in self-criticism; even if their ears are better than mine they are still not as good as they think they are.

You forget that this applies to many things in life, not just about ears. This is also related to human personality.

If you design a high rise building structure, do you trust your design skill? If you touch a 220V power outlet, do you trust your judgement that you will survive?

There are two facts: (1) The level of such trust in any individual is based on his experience and/or capability.

(2) It is a human personality that we can divide the level of intelligence-confidence into four groups: (a) People who are smart and they know they are smart (b) People who are smart but they don't know that they are smart (c) People who are dumb and they know that they are dumb (d) People who are dumb but they don't know that they are dumb...

Basically, it is a simple combination between capability and confidence.

I regard those who do trust their ears as being naive

And all my point is: you can't make generalization (as you often do).

I mean if the bass channel is 100W then the mid and high must also be 100W each, otherwise this will be inferior to a 100W amp that drive a classic 3 way speaker..

Can you please explain this because at face value it does not seem to make sense. The highs take less power than the mids, which take less power than the bass. I am not talking about outdoors PA with HF absorption like Ed Simon recently mentioned, but home use.

Say a 20Hz square wave at 100V pp and a two way passive system with crossover at 1KHz, let s assume that it start at t = 0.

During the first 250us the full rising hedge is dispatched to the tweeter while the voltage that get to the woofer slowly rise from 0 to reach full amplitude only after 100ms when the fundamental reach its first maximum.

So the tweeter will see the full amplitude before it s the woofer that get the full amplitude signal in due time.

I see you already gave an explanation but it is wrong. 20Hz square waves at full power don't exist in music.

Yes, but his goal was for the gear to be "musical." He wanted whatever distortion it had to be the good sounding kind. He didn't think his listening choices were necessarily to produce the lowest possible distortion.

However, in other cases where minimizing distortion is the primary goal, and especially when claims are made to high performance in that area, then measuring is an essential part of the process. If we are going to use people's ears to do part of the measuring, then we have be able to show that it actually works. Something like we can show that drug sniffing dogs work to detect drugs. When you want to use some biological measuring device for anything, it is not unreasonable to be asked to demonstrate that it works.

No, no we don't. That sounds like the demand of a young autistic person that needs numbers and such to be comfortable. The reality is that anyone can make anything they feel like, in anyway they want. So long as it is safe, people can buy it. It's your choice whether their marketing or non-numbers are good or bad reason to purchase. Fact remains, no one owes you numbers.

So you are claiming golden ears exist but scientists have covered up the evidence as they don't like it?

Next you'll be saying all audio reviewers should be women as they have proven better HF hearing.

You love these cheap shots, don´t you? :rolleyes:

Short summary for the not so well informed:
-) a perfect experiment does not exist (most probably)
-) a sensory test relies on human detectors
-) really sound experiments (multidimensional sensory tests, well documented too) are quite rare in the audio field
-) the results of a sensory test are probabilities, to be more specific - are results from statistic tests, which are based on an underlying model wrt to the detection of differences or establishing preferences by human observers
based on these probabilities, the experimenter retains or rejected the null hypothesis (which is equivalent to accepting the alternative hypothesis, provided the experiment was really good planned and executed)

All that means there is always room for endless debate in the case of "unpleasant results" .
If the same people don´t scrutinize experiments with "pleasant results" in the same way, you know that it is not a matter of science but of believe....

I see you already gave an explanation but it is wrong. 20Hz square waves at full power don't exist in music.

I used 20Hz as exemple, as pointed by J. Curl it can be 50, or even 40Hz, and no need of a perfect square wave, harmonics that encompass the full audio spectrum are way enough.

As a question, do you know how a drummer get a hard attack out of the bass drum..?.

The highs take less power than the mids, which take less power than the bass.

You are talking of average power here....

Last edited:
Jay said:
If you design a high rise building structure, do you trust your design skill? If you touch a 220V power outlet, do you trust your judgement that you will survive?
I don't see the connection. It is well established that ears mislead people; it is well established that building codes and civil engineerign principles when correctly applied result in buildings which stay up. I realise that you, like a few others here, consider yourself to be an exception.

And all my point is: you can't make generalization (as you often do).
I can. I do. The evidence, such as it is, is on my side. I don't doubt that some people have much better hearing than others, and some may be less influenced by other factors than others, but the evidence is clear: people can 'hear' things which are not there, and they can miss things which are there, and they can fail to distinguish unsighted tiny (or missing) sound differences which they claim to be 'night and day' when sighted.

<snip>
Done DBT found them interesting, and yes quite strange initially because you tend to strive for differences initially even when they are not there. But once that initial period is over I found them interesting and informative and also depressing when you realise that without the sighted bit your not as good at hearing things as I had been led to believe by the ears brigade over my early years as an Audiophile...
So in the face of inarguable evidence my reality had to change:)

Did you really "strive for differences even when they were not there" ? Or did you just had difficulties to grasp those differences, as you were not used to do such tests?

Again, most people who have conducted controlled listening tests with other people report that most had quite severe problems in the beginning to detect even quite big differences .

The message is really simple- most listeners need some time to accomodate to the special conditions of a controlled tests. That for statistical reasons a higher number of trials (and successes) is often needed doesn´t make things easier.

Given your short description, i´d say that you most likely didn´t get useful results during those tests.

Markw4 said:
However, in other cases where minimizing distortion is the primary goal, and especially when claims are made to high performance in that area, then measuring is an essential part of the process. If we are going to use people's ears to do part of the measuring, then we have be able to show that it actually works. Something like we can show that drug sniffing dogs work to detect drugs. When you want to use some biological measuring device for anything, it is not unreasonable to be asked to demonstrate that it works.
Yes.

Destroyer OS. said:
No, no we don't. That sounds like the demand of a young autistic person that needs numbers and such to be comfortable. The reality is that anyone can make anything they feel like, in anyway they want. So long as it is safe, people can buy it. It's your choice whether their marketing or non-numbers are good or bad reason to purchase. Fact remains, no one owes you numbers.
He said "measure". That means numbers. Numbers do not imply autism; they imply engineering. You may be confusing 'audio' (a sound which some find pleasant) with 'hi-fi' (a reasonable attempt to reproduce a sound). Hi-fi need numbers.

<snip>

However, I also understand that doing a large test number of the general population for data gathering, needs to eliminate such possible variable to get a more focused data.

-RNM

Sure, if you want confirmation and more certainty you have to use scientific tools and that means controlled experiments (i.e. listening tests).
But (just to quote jneutron) if you bring science to the table it has to be real science. :)

There exists a plethora of literature in which good scientific practice is described in a very detailed manner; the basic set of requirements for any test is, that it has to be valide, objective and reliable, but in reality you will find many violations in tests.

My little house has dodged 3 big fires now. Thanks for asking! This was taken outside my front door a few days ago.

In my book, this is great news. An awful lot of members here seem to reside in California, so beside the usual smog they seem to enjoy regular forest fires, year in, year out. Makes me for one worried that somebody might have been hurt, and you can't negotiate with an uncontrolled forest fire, despite stunning clips of firefigthers doing their best and low flying firefighting planes.

Anyway, it seems our members have largely escaped major trouble, and that is good, thank God.

I used 20Hz as exemple, as pointed by J. Curl it can be 50, or even 40Hz, and no need of a perfect square wave, harmonics that encompass the full audio spectrum are way enough.

As a question, do you know how a drummer get a hard attack out of the bass drum..?.

Your argument is not valid, this is FFT spectrum of almost perfect 50Hz square wave, 5 Khz harmonic is 40 dB lover.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 151
Status
Not open for further replies.