John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not entirely, given their inherent high on resistance
( ~ 1 Ohm ) for the Renesas's.

That has no importance if the amp use NFB around the OS, a standard amp with a single complementary pair can have 1 milliohm output Z if there s enough NFB, wich is generaly the case at low frequencies.

Other than this tight basses have nothing to do with DF past a minimal value, when basses sound hard this mean that the signal contain most of the audible spectrum along with the bass sound, it s the harmonics that make basses sound tight as without those harmonics a low frequency sound is as soft as snow...

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Well perhaps stiction is a misnomer, but one may expect low-level nonlinearities in suspensions that become less important at higher levels.

My own disposition is to use motional feedback for transducer linearization, transitioning to a "plant model"-based variable gain at higher frequencies. I pursued this for a bit and abandoned it for more pressing matters, but the absolute positional transduction approach looked very promising. I disclosed it to a transducer designer, and characteristically he said Oh I can do that by fine-tuning the motor and the suspension yada yada. I forget whether I said Well why haven't you already?

I find transducer designers are among the most closed-minded. And they think in terms of amps and volts. I've been amused by how they hook up drivers in a box---it is as if they imagine that the individual wires must float in the air and not be twisted together. At JBL/Harman they also loved acid-core solder, as it cut through the accumulated grit and grime of the crossover components in bins that probably were there when James Bullough Lansing was still alive. A roll or two of the solder found its way to the Multimedia Lab, and was used to solder some circuit boards, which had amazing problems from flux contamination.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I quoted the price of the Kii3 wrong. Its $13K so Euro price probably similar ball park. GBP who knows withe the way exchange rates are going!

In comparison Beolab 90 is £53k a pair and meridian active goes from £2000 a pair to £43k

Its 10k in euro, sans stand which is 1.6k
Really very reasonable since you get 2 speakers with 6 nCore amps + PSU in each box plus build-in DSP and DAC.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
10K Euro each? Ie 20k for a pair?

Either way, you can see why they might charge that much -- volumes are low, r&d to recover etc. But the tech inside isn't very expensive... That's why DIY is good!!

No 10k pair.
And good to see you have so much experience marketing high-end audio. When did you make your 1st million? ;-)

Jan

Joined 2016
Paid Member
No 10k pair.
And good to see you have so much experience marketing high-end audio. When did you make your 1st million? ;-)

Jan

10k a pair is better! My forte is in volume products, not high end audio these days... I can see why they charge that much, but I doubt I'd ever pay it, unless I'd already got a well acoustically designed listening room... :)
But somehow She Who Must Be Obeyed thinks kitchens and so forth are more important :D

But, something similar is on my DIY to do list, for less than 10k in cash, but maybe the equivalent in fun!

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
10k a pair is better! My forte is in volume products, not high end audio these days... I can see why they charge that much, but I doubt I'd ever pay it, unless I'd already got a well acoustically designed listening room... :)
But somehow She Who Must Be Obeyed thinks kitchens and so forth are more important :D

But, something similar is on my DIY to do list, for less than 10k in cash, but maybe the equivalent in fun!

Nice! Go for it!

BTW What's your hourly rate these days?

Jan

I don't think many think much about the way spiders are produced and the components of the spider itself. Basically you are talking about a cotton or other material that is doped with a rigid resin system. The initial energy to get that combination into motion is what I think Brad was pointing to with his stiction comment. It is like anything else, once you get something moving it doesn't take much energy to keep it moving in a resonant motion. It is the initial energy to start the motion that I think we are talking about. I have thought long and hard about linear motion in speaker suspension systems, this is definitely not the norm if you look at the spring rates and increasing displacement of any common loudspeaker. Both the spider and surround are anything but linear force vs displacement, one of the causes of that distortion in speakers that is given so little regard.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
No research?
No understanding?
or no interest in sharing your knowledge?

So why post unless you want to add in a positive way?

... So, to do justice to the forum and its aim of DIY audio, providing information and explanation is appropriate. As is relating detailed higher-level physics and engineering back to something relating to the typical reader.

This isn't just a private conversation/club for credentialed experts, in which they can be pedantic, and be condescending to "the masses". Don't you agree?

:cool::)

-RNM

Joined 2002
Paid Member
At JBL/Harman they also loved acid-core solder, as it cut through the accumulated grit and grime of the crossover components in bins that probably were there when James Bullough Lansing was still alive. A roll or two of the solder found its way to the Multimedia Lab, and was used to solder some circuit boards, which had amazing problems from flux contamination.

Those bins of parts were still there when I toured and probably still are.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
It's true that experts in given field are more likely to be correct in their intuitions related to their exact field of expertise, but not outside of it.

. But I am not going to make a career out of this at this point in my life. Not me. So, we maybe we will have to disagree a little for now. I am with you already on the more far-out claims. But, I don't find you as credible in the psycho-acoustic areaow more about how the research has been conducted. And it soun as in E&M, and if we disagree it is probably on the psycho-acoustics side of things.

:cool::)

-RNM

That has no importance if the amp use NFB around the OS, a standard amp with a single complementary pair can have 1 milliohm output Z if there s enough NFB, wich is generaly the case at low frequencies.

Other than this tight basses have nothing to do with DF past a minimal value, when basses sound hard this mean that the signal contain most of the audible spectrum along with the bass sound, it s the harmonics that make basses sound tight as without those harmonics a low frequency sound is as soft as snow...

So, with a high slope filter, say at 125Hz and with a slope >4th order, all amps with the same DF "past a minimal value" will give the same impression of bass "sound"?

No research?
No understanding?
or no interest in sharing your knowledge?

So why post unless you want to add in a positive way?

Maybe as a moderator you can tell how many members are reading along
and not posting??

Well, regardless, MOST of them have FAR LESS expertise than you do, and also far less than many of the main contributors here. So, to do justice to the forum and its aim of DIY audio, providing information and explanation is appropriate. As is relating detailed higher-level physics and engineering back to something relating to the typical reader.

This isn't just a private conversation/club for credentialed experts, in which they can be pedantic, and be condescending to "the masses". Don't you agree?

Bear, on the flipside there's nothing enticing about trying to bridge over to someone who remains willfully/sarcastically ignorant and entrenched in a certain idealism. Also, SY does have a few articles which are very approachable, and at least one of them is quite free on LA's website. Shouting "Feed me! Feed me!" isn't doing you many favors either.

So, with a high slope filter, say at 125Hz and with a slope >4th order, all amps with the same DF "past a minimal value" will give the same impression of bass "sound"?

Basses without high frequency impulse at the first rising hedge will sound mellow, resonnant basses with low DF can still sound hard but they lack a short release time, wich is less influencial than the rising hedge, this is this latter that give the impression of hardness and still, only if it s directed to the ear, a depression of equal amplitude wont create the same effect to our ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.