John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, being of the curious type... I presume just about everyone has read Jan's 'zine?

That article a while back on high performance regulators, recall that?
Why would anyone need or want regulation of that quality and caliber?
Could anyone possibly hear a difference between any one of those tested?
I presume it is only an exercise in engineering?

"...curiouser and curiouser said Alice..."

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
voltage regulators redux

There is an audiophile conceit that circuits with poorer PSR must be sacrificing something in terms of other performance measures. This attitude dovetails into one of the other favorite hobby horses, that complexity per se is bad.

IMO neither of these notions taken at face value is correct.

But once they are in play, it opens the door to better and better power supplies---and more of them, one per stage etc.

What is missed so far afaik, except in a few power amps, is the notion of signal-driven regulators, a sort of feedforward so that the response delay associated with regulation is circumvented. Oddly I presented this idea in another forum some years ago, to have one guy say that a shunt regulator already accomplished this. Nope.

There is an audiophile conceit that circuits with poorer PSR must be sacrificing something in terms of other performance measures.

Or sometimes the opposite- see, for example, Allen Wright's preamps, which had close to zero PSR. The story he was selling there was that the best topologies have the worst PSR, so it was important to have very complex supplies to make up for this deficiency. Sum total was, in fact, very high performance at this design extremum. My designs tend to go in the other direction (high PSR, simple supplies), demonstrating again that the concept of One Right Answer is somewhat ridiculous.

I may be missing something here but when the sound of resistors, caps even cables is discussed how can dirty contacts be tolerated or do the basics get fluffed over by the more important esoteric quantum supposedly sound changing beliefs... The mundane being ignored such as cleaning contacts.

Nice to see again that NO evidence wot soever for cable directivity has been put forward by the believers... same again next year chaps.

No, no, I was switching between speakers but in sighted mode. Still trying to get myself familiar with it, will graduate to blind mode someday ��
All good, and good on you for geting hold of one of these comparators.
We can all learn from this.

But to my surprise the differences stood out more than I realised before I had the box.
The oft quoted 'audio memory' is a factor here, ie fast/immediate switching can indeed be very useful for increasing discrimination.
See next paragraph.

Edit - another surprise was that it is much more difficult to adjust the levels to be the same than I thought. With speakers, the tonal character can be different enough that it is hard to judge the level difference.
No surprise. All loudspeakers of course have their stated frequency response characteristic but can be wildly dependent on the 'upstream' amplifier LF/HF output impedance characteristics, and the loudspeaker connection cable DC/frequency dependent characteristics.
Add to this differing sensitivity characteristics and dynamic characteristics, it is nigh on impossible to level match two sets of loudspeakers.
The best you can hope for is 'similar' levels on a particular programme content, change the programme and you will very likely need to change A/B levels.

Ok, so now down to business.
This Van Alstine ABX box seems to have become a defacto 'standard', and at the $999 price is accessible to many, organisations and individuals all, so far so good.
Mr VA is not making a whole lot of cash out of building these, more it seems he is making a stirling effort to build a 'decent' ABX Box for all, therefore he shall not/must not be vilified.

So lets have a really close look at the internals.

abx-front-top1 copy.jpg

abx - BD 01.png

ABX - BD 02.png

The ABX Switch was not designed to connect to maximum line level signals, it was designed to
“drop in” to a system set at normal listening levels (or slightly louder) and then attenuate those levels
slightly to achieve equal volume settings for all components. There are 96 different volume settings
maintained in the ABX Switch, a sub volume and a mains volume left / right pair for every possible
combination of source, amp, and speaker.
Yes, this 'individual' circuit path level control is mandatory.
The “Y” RCA jacks form a simple splitter. Connect a line level signal to the center jack and you get two
duplicate signals on the jacks to the left and right. This is useful when testing two preamps or DAC’s…Not
really needed for testing power amps and speakers. There is a 10k ohm resistor between center jack and left
/ right jacks so isolation exists between the duplicate signals.
So referring to the second block diagram and the above description it seems that 10K series resistance is added to each preamp/loop feed....Hmmm.
Up to three sets of speakers connect to the left most 6 dual banana jacks. Right and left C speaker, right
and left B speaker, and right and left A speaker. Black is common ground throughout the ABX switch.
Up to two power amp outputs connect to the right most 4 dual banana jacks. Right and left B amp and right
and left A amp. Extreme care should be used to ensure correct cable polarity, as a dual banana plug
flipped around between the ABX switch and the amplifier output will connect ground to the positive
amp output which could result in catastrophic amplifier damage.
Hmmm.

So Mr VA, respectfully a very nice try but fundamentally flawed for discriminating fine differences because of the confounders outlined above.
I note also that there are no IMP/FR/SNR/THD/IMD specs for the controlled line level throughput.

Insertion of this ABX box is ipso facto too far removed from individual system testing, and from the lack of performance data available cannot be regarded as providing valid test results.
I note also that the proponents of ABX results do not quote the test conditions.

To ABX proponents, without full ABX test system disclosure.....
serious.jpg

Dan.

Last edited:
Surely there is no audible difference between these high performance regulators, yes? Regardless of circuit. Measurements sure, but audible? :rolleyes:_-_-
Bear, I hear what you are saying on your website, yes it's all about clarity.
It's not so much about the absolute level of the resultant system noise as the subjective nature of the resultant system noise.
But you knew that already.

Dan.

But silicon in contact with almost any of the ordinary metals, carbon-steel, and tellurium-aluminum all show a well marked and fairly regular unilateral conductivity.

Surprise, surprise, surprise! Old yes.

These references mention things like point contact behavior of exotic alloys, NON-Ohmic contact, etc. Non-Ohmic means a complete interruption of normal metal to metal mechanical contact which is Ohmic. Yes connectors corrode, for audio simple regular cleaning if one insists on cheap base metal connectors is sufficient.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.