John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I'm sure you'll be happy with Damier's CFA amps, very much in the same vein as O'stripper was going on his thread. I'll be interested in how you feel about changing from a the ESL type of sound and dispersion to a two way with horn, a fairly dramatic change to say the least. You could always put the 15" drivers you have to use as distributed subs in new enclosures spread around the room.

Hi,

I have always been a supporter of controlled dispersion to a more narrow angle. That comes from acoustic study and using horns (JBL) in the past. So now it is full circle but this time all is much better and the DSP will be a plus IMO.

I have measured and listened to Damir's CFA amp and it is the best amp I ever had in my system. Extreamly clear and clean.

THx-RNMarsh

I once made a design similar to the M2 in the mid 1970's, but a 3 way with an 800Hz and 10KHz active Xover. It measured OK, but it didn't sound right, so I gave up on speaker design. '-(

Attachments

• sw spkr1.jpg
    sw spkr1.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 191
  • sw2.jpg
    sw2.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
It's just too bad the design team didn't use Patent 7711134 on the M2 bass porting. But that would have meant tipping a hat to a foe in the war that was forced upon the Multimedia department when they were forced into the consumer group proper. That was something to behold: The dumbing down of a whole group of really smart innovators.

Last edited:
No, the loudspeaker that John Meyer and I worked on was a 3 way horn loaded speaker with 3 separate amps (JC-3 for the tweeter) and a transient 'perfect' xover. We used a time delay for the tweeter (Electrovoice T350).
This design was separate from the one that John Meyer that I worked on in Switzerland, and started after he returned to the USA.

morinix,
It isn't like there was anything new in that patent, been done before for sure. A horn flare for a port goes back so far it would probably be in some early Webster papers. No real advantage over a flared port opening.
They had a program to make sure the port noise was at a minimum. I tried to get a rip of the disk but no luck. That is how the ports in the little Ipod players like JBL Radial had such a big sound. The port snaked all around the case yet didn't sound honky or spuddery.

Morinix,
That is a very different idea, really the same as Bose has done for years with the tuned tube idea in their radio and other places.
No great shakes in speaker design. I get it.

YET, when the initial design for the M2 was presented at a Sapphire meeting I asked the lead engineer if he knew about this technique and he said he did and was dismissive of it. Almost as to say "don't bother me with that intellectual stuff". Seemed like one of those missed opportunities because of interdepartmental political crap; that's all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.