John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Somebody else can build a test fixture capable of measuring (tb/ta) for those diodes which don't bother to specify it on their datasheet.
And if we use such diodes in a product there will be no guarantee that they will be consistent.

I fully agree that a proper snubber is the rational path. One caveat, which may be mentioned in your article, is that significant acoustic noise can be emitted by the capacitor. The worst offender I've heard was a high voltage ceramic used in a Hagerman phono preamp kit. When I friend said he was experiencing a lot of noise I assumed he meant electrical noise, only to get hold of the unit and realize that it was acoustic. It was quite audible in even a fairly noisy environment.

It's quite possible that the initial Hagerman design didn't suffer from the piezoelectric noise, and that some part substitute wasn't screened for the possibility.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
There is also a 'change' in the power supply behavior when the snubber is added and removed. In my tests this was an even bigger change than I got when swapping between the worst diode and the best.

Oh and speaking of 30A diodes: those are the ones I use in my "RingNot" power supply. Besides epic ruggedness they have two other endearing properties: (i) They're in a TO-220-ISO package so they bolt straight onto a greased heatsink with no insulator required; (ii) their forward voltage drop is waaaaaaay lower than the Vfwd of many high_(tb/ta) diodes: 0.85V vs 2.1V. So they run cool.

Last edited:
I have personally heard the difference with my own design, after 10 years of using standard diodes in the same design. However, I can't say that everyone will hear a difference with every design or with every person's attitude toward changes in audio quality.

Given that it can be very easily heard after a capacitor multiplier voltage regulator, I'm not entirely sure what sort of designs wouldn't notice the difference.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Ones with really good PSRR spring to mind!
John Curl's earlier posts about his first soft recovery diode (revision 4 of the Vendetta preamp) speculate that RFI was somehow polluting the Ground of the power supply and thereby, polluting all audio stages. Have a few searches here on DIYA and/or Google in general, to find those. If ground != ground all bets are off.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It's not "diodes ringing" it's "diode-stimulated transformer ringing"

Mark I translate that to 'the di/dt caused by diode switching causes the circuit inductance, which is mainly on the xformer side, to ring with circuit capacity'.
Is that the reason why soft recovery diodes cause less ringing to begin with. Am I correct in this line of reasoning?

Jan

That is outstanding performance. Period.
Footnote 3: John Curl hand-selects FETs for the SCP-2 with a transistor tester which not only measures noise but classifies that noise according to frequency. Thus he can select both on the basis of low noise and of noise with a particular spectral density.—John Atkinson
JC's secret sauce.....smart.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.