John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
By balanced I mean symmetrical or complimentary. Input is single ended - feedback into the other side of the input stage. Truly balanced complementary designs probably best with VFA as with with CFA you have a lo z -input node to deal with.

:)

OR, you could do as DADOD does and put a buffer (Z converter) on the (-) input.... now both inputs have same high Z and still operates as a CFA.

THx-RNMarsh

Have you built that (post 80816) , Dadod ?

I had a similar one (infidel). It worked , had perfect 250khz+ square
waves ..... but was very touchy in the thermals.

I deemed it a failure , fell back on more "tame" designs (diminishing
returns decision - too many parts).

A design such as this would be a good candidate for smd. Looks like all
up to Q6/8 are @1ma - nice dual sot23-6 pairs.

OS

Have you built that (post 80816) , Dadod ?

I had a similar one (infidel). It worked , had perfect 250khz+ square
waves ..... but was very touchy in the thermals.

I deemed it a failure , fell back on more "tame" designs (diminishing
returns decision - too many parts).

A design such as this would be a good candidate for smd. Looks like all
up to Q6/8 are @1ma - nice dual sot23-6 pairs.

OS

No, not yet, just unbalanced version without buffers at -in, a CFA.
It is really a good candidate for SMD and I don't see any thermal problem as the VAS and OPS are the same.
I never did any SMD layout (at least not complicate as this one), but I think, I have to start with IPS, VAS and OPS will stay THT.

Attachments

• amp assembled-2.jpg
    amp assembled-2.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OR, you could do as DADOD does and put a buffer (Z converter) on the (-) input.... now both inputs have same high Z and still operates as a CFA.

THx-RNMarsh

I am a reductionist by nature and avoid complexity if I can.

Separately I agree that buffering the - input on a CFA still leaves one with an amplifier that behaves like a CFA. However, as we have seen its not viewed like that . . . and I don't want to open that can of worms again.

:)

Separately I agree that buffering the - input on a CFA still leaves one with an amplifier that behaves like a CFA. However, as we have seen its not viewed like that . . . and I don't want to open that can of worms again.

Good idea, because it does not. That's according to your own criteria, and also according with e.g. the LM6171 data sheet.

LM6171 TI data sheet said:
The LM6171 is a true voltage feedback amplifier. Unlike current feedback amplifiers (CFAs) with a low inverting input impedance and a high non-inverting input impedance, both inputs of voltage feedback amplifiers (VFAs) have high impedance nodes. The low impedance inverting input in CFAs will couple with feedback capacitor and cause oscillation. As a result, CFAs cannot be used in traditional op amp circuits such as photodiode amplifiers, I-to-V converters and integrators.

Attachments

• LM6171.png
    LM6171.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Natural facts -

Good idea, because it does not. That's according to your own criteria, and also according with e.g. the LM6171 data sheet.

Waly; You are reading Marketing spin to the old guys who cannot get their heads around a CFA.

All CFA with a buffered (-) input are now being called a VFA so they don't scare off the old time app engineers.

Personally, I prefer simpler also... .

THx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
No, not yet, just unbalanced version without buffers at -in, a CFA.
It is really a good candidate for SMD and I don't see any thermal problem as the VAS and OPS are the same.
I never did any SMD layout (at least not complicate as this one), but I think, I have to start with IPS, VAS and OPS will stay THT.

I had the privilege to listen and test this prototype amplifier. It was very stable under varying loads and output levels. And, it tests exceptionally good. same for its sound with both electrostatics and dynamic speaker types. ---- all without the extra VFA simulator/converter on the (-) input.

I wouldn't add the extra complexity unless there was some compelling need for a balanced input Z for a signal source.
I have never found such inputs needed for best sound/performance in a home audio environment. But sometimes there is a compelling audiophile Marketing need.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
But they are, just like an H-bridge input. Youse guys have to dummy up a little here. Waly is right buffered input CFA's behave just like VFA's input gm becomes fixed.

Externally, yes. And for app engineers, yes. It wont matter much to them. But internally, the window of operational parameters, are still CFA. Unless, of course we redefine for simplicity sake that only the Z of the inputs ports defines a CFA or VFA..... which many are also trying to do.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.