John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
J-test is not a single tone.

Cute, SY.

Multi-channel recording processes uses any number of adc converters and the jitter affect of them is described in that link..... which cannot be removed in playback etc..... curious that this may be a source of problem we hear about CD?.

JC -- Just so happens I am returning on the 13th... early in the morning -- have to stay up until 3am to be at airport... then flight leaves at 6am.

I better get some rest this afternoon. be back to the real world in a couple days. I am sponsoring a young woman (18 yrs) from a village in Nepal who wants to be a civil engineer and has been going well. Next year she will live with us for 2 years and then to another college for 2 years. I have supported her education since she was 5 years old. She went thru a devastating earth quake which leveled her fathers village.... And a brutal civil war etc. But is a beautiful soul/person and smart. So I got her in a school that taught her to read, write and speak English. I came over here this time mostly for her 18th birthday a couple months ago. Getting hot here -- humidity factor = >110F now. Time to get back to spring time in calif. :)

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Oh Goody for it/you. Gold star on your forehead.

I am not looking for what is done right -- there is plenty good that has been done over time....... rather, what is still wrong....

Now say something important about jitter in Recording and respond to what the author said about.

THx-RNMarsh

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
That might be true..... I have focused on my own system.. a playback system ... to make it best i can.... i did buy a mastering recorder if you recall and BMark ADC to check on what I could that way..... the complete loop. So Not really a veering - that is your spin of convenience of the moment.

But, there is also DAW and complex recording consoles full of adc/dac processing.

So what about the record side.... jitter artifacts not removed in playback.... is this true ?

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Yep, record jitter is embedded and permanent.
With good enough DSP the recorded jitter could be removed.
Given that jitter spectrum is complex that would be a tall order.
There is a very famous newsreel of one our prime ministers just after having been sacked.
The camera/film was faulty and caused high levels of audio flutter.
More recent playings have the audio corrected.

Dan.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yep, record jitter is embedded and permanent.
With good enough DSP the recorded jitter could be removed.
Given that jitter spectrum is complex that would be a tall order.

Doesn't Bob Stuart claimed to have done that with MQA?
There is a very famous newsreel of one our prime ministers just after having been sacked.
The camera/film was faulty and caused high levels of audio flutter.
More recent playings have the audio corrected.

Dan.

http://www.plangentprocesses.com/index_save2.htm

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Oh Goody for it/you. Gold star on your forehead.

I am not looking for what is done right -- there is plenty good that has been done over time....... rather, what is still wrong....

Now say something important about jitter in Recording and respond to what the author said about.

At what point did this suddenly swing from playback to recording?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I am sure for you that is true and for some others also.

However, there is now another option -- HD downloads from master sources (or the working master) with minimum post processing with its artifacts and all the rest that goes into making and playing CD's.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
However, there is now another option -- HD downloads from master sources (or the working master) with minimum post processing with its artifacts and all the rest that does into making and playing CD's.

THx-RNMarsh

Which will have the same inherent recording jitter as the CD release? I have seen little evidence that the HD release and the CD release are any different other than the downsample to 16 bits and dither. Oh and add 50% to the cost. It's more expensive so must sound better right?

Status
Not open for further replies.