John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, how many millions of people are there involved in the pursuit of high end audio?

It seems that the number of people interested in SOTA audio isn't that big. However, there are those who design for the mass market, while others design for dedicated audiophiles. JC is one of those who design for audiophiles and one of a very few who does it in a very high level (concerning sound quality).

Engineers are aware of price and of a specific set of technical goals for their design. They not only know what to do but the scientific principles behind why they work.

Not all engineers are aware of audiophile sound quality. Not all engineers aim to design for audiophile sound quality. Of those who aim at it, only very few are really successful with it.

It strikes me that all you write about that topic here stem from un-based speculations of yours. You may prove me wrong here by showing your own audio design.

What employees?

I said such an operation such as Vendetta could be run solo out of a spare bedroom.

Or are you saying you don't even trust yourself? :D

se

Well, you gotta have shipping and receiving, parts storage 'cause one man on demand is a no go, then there's assembly, assuming there's no parts inspection, and then testing and possble burn in, and then out the door.

You're looking at a whole house deal, which is good for tax purposes. I would also claim 100% use of the car as well.

:p

When Vendetta Research was active and successful, I had 2-3 employees, and I shared a warehouse, modified with separate rooms, to suit, when we moved in to it, in 1988. I had an office with a desk for the paperwork (always a big pile), and a separate lab with my best test equipment set up to troubleshoot, measure, and prepare Vendettas for final shipment. In the warehouse area, we had custom workbenches where the assembly techs worked, each with his own solder station, tools, and test equipment. Finally, we had to have a shipping area, where cardboard shipping boxes were put together, and protective 'chips' were stored. Huge bags full.
Yes, one could do it out of one spare bedroom, in a wartime effort, but it certainly would not be comfortable to do it that way. How do I know? Because I tried it on 2 occasions: Once to finish the last 5 Vendettas that I had cases for, and again when my business partner, Bob Crump, died unexpectedly, leaving me to finish an order of 5 CTC Blowtorch preamps to do the final assembly and shipping. What a mess, I tell you, AND I already had built and tested all of the electronics previously, and the cases were finished, and awaited final assembly. My place looked even more like a warehouse than it does today, and that is saying a lot.
Only people with limited experience with the REALITY of small business production could think that it is easily possible to make such products from an extra bedroom.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Well, you gotta have shipping and receiving, parts storage 'cause one man on demand is a no go, then there's assembly, assuming there's no parts inspection, and then testing and possble burn in, and then out the door.

You're looking at a whole house deal, which is good for tax purposes. I would also claim 100% use of the car as well.

Looks like you haven't had the pleasure.
All of the above mentioned would fit in one spare room and can be accomplished by a single person.
Selling it, now that's the tricky part.

You're looking at a whole house deal, which is good for tax purposes.

Naaaah.

We're not talking about a high volume operation here. With a little thought and organization, we're talking spare bedroom. At worst, perhaps a little spill over into the garage.

Hell, when I was doing the preamp, I used only a portion of a 10' x 11' bedroom. I could have easily moved 50 units a month.

se

Status
Not open for further replies.