John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a new power amp for Parasound, and a new phono stage for Audible Illusions. Bascom and I do not actually work together, we are independent consultants who have known and worked with each other for more than 40 years. Bascom is now working closely with PS audio and doing well, from what I understand. We HAVE helped each other over the years, but his designs are his, and my designs are mine.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Dowsing in the dark
'Till the tune ends, we're
Dowsing in the dark
And it soon ends, we're
Waltzing in the wonder of why we're here
Time passes by, we're here
And gone

Looking for the flow
Of a new well, I'm
Listening for the glow
Of a true stream

And we can dream the water
Together
Dowsing in the dark

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Dowsing in the dark
Dowsing in the dark
And it soon ends, we're
And gone

Looking for the flow
Of a new well, I'm
Listening for the glow
Of a true stream

Together
Dowsing in the dark[/QUOTE

You forgot to add: Sung to the tune of 'Dancing in the Dark'. Preferably by Dianna Krall

I was not so trustful as some of you gents. I never trusted anything but a simple soft piece of cloth to handle the LPs, so I didn't have any success stories but also no sad endings.

My usual Decca fibre brush seems to have done a good job. Later on I added a separate arm with a velour brush, tracking just before the stylus, but I cannot report any great gain. I think more of a placebo effect.

The Decca Brush works good.
A record cleaning machine works better.

Handling of the brush is much better.

Separate Brushs on arms can reduce static electricity.
I still have a antistatic gun( no more available) for use in the winter time, when the air is very dry in the room.

All that Stylast stuff makes absolute no sense for me.
Applied on stylus it will happens what brianco experienced, it just softens the glue .There is no liquid which is as hard as a a diamond and prevent wear of the diamond.
Better you buy a nice diamond for your girl and sing like George McCrae * Rock me Baby*

Stylast record preservative and similar is also crap IMHO, this stuff just sticks on the diamond and is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery hard to remove.

Lencoclean and other liquids on the record modify the surface somehow and must be used all the times when used once, otherwise there is much more noise and pops than without it.

Cleaning of the diamond is done best with a piece of printing paper, just use the sharp edge of it and pass it several times around the diamond from back to front, thats very effective when done regularly, maybe every 5- 10 hours.
If necessary apply some Isopropanol ( pure alcohol) onto the paper to soften the sticky stuff and then remove it.

I really tried everything was told to me, but this method works very reliable and costs you only 5 minutes of your life. All other are methods to madness.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Dowsing in the dark
Dowsing in the dark
And it soon ends, we're
And gone

Looking for the flow
Of a new well, I'm
Listening for the glow
Of a true stream

Together
Dowsing in the dark[/QUOTE

You forgot to add: Sung to the tune of 'Dancing in the Dark'. Preferably by Dianna Krall
Congrats. Left as "an exercise to the reader".

Status
Not open for further replies.