John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
She wasted an entire Ford Hall forum ragging on "folk art" as a threat to human civilization. As if there are not more important things.
My favorite of those Ford Hall ones I have as a pamphlet called The Fascist New Frontier (that is, JFK's New Frontier).

Introduce me to that big blonde
She's got a touch of Tuesday Weld
Wearing Ambush and a French twist
She's got us wild and she can tell

She loves to limbo
That much is clear
She's got the right dynamic for the New Frontier

We all had a full hour+ administered test as conducted by our respective school districts at the time, so I'm fairly confident the resolution was a little finer than a ten-point scale. I was in 2nd grade, so hard to remember the details.

One hour is a simplified form. May be 124 or 125 is the top accurate IQ limit. You will be surprised I believe if you knew the resolution. And when the test is not accurate, for that sake, any two candidates with different wrongs can not always be assigned different points (it works in range).

It's still a noisy test of relatively debatable meaning in terms of later outcomes.

I have seen thousands people with their IQ profiles, and I couldn't see any pattern or correlation with other types of intelligence (for success determination), so if by outcome you mean success, no I don't think there is good correlation.

For me, it's funny that the education authorities do not try to focus on developing on these other types of intelligence.

IQ is only a small part of intelligence. It determines the most difficult problems you can learn/understand/solve. In the real world, problems are usually not too difficult. Even with IQ of 120 you can become a president (may be not in your country :D)

Engineering requires high IQ, but most of engineers will be engineers for the rest of their lives.

Finance administration (accounting) is an interesting major/specialty. With very small IQ (but good in other types of intelligence) people can still work in a big company (thus earn big money). With small IQ, doing account payable/receivable data entry to SAP software is still possible. And when the IQ is above 120 you have clear path to become the Managing Director (competing with others from Sales department). But engineers will usually become just engineers regardless of their very high IQ.

My point was actually not about engineers, but the fact that you don't need geniuses to do the ordinary tasks.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
One hour is a simplified form. May be 124 or 125 is the top accurate IQ limit. You will be surprised I believe if you knew the resolution. And when the test is not accurate, for that sake, any two candidates with different wrongs can not always be assigned different points (it works in range).

I have seen thousands people with their IQ profiles, and I couldn't see any pattern or correlation with other types of intelligence (for success determination), so if by outcome you mean success, no I don't think there is good correlation.

For me, it's funny that the education authorities do not try to focus on developing on these other types of intelligence.

IQ is only a small part of intelligence. It determines the most difficult problems you can learn/understand/solve. In the real world, problems are usually not too difficult. Even with IQ of 120 you can become a president (may be not in your country :D)

Engineering requires high IQ, but most of engineers will be engineers for the rest of their lives.

Finance administration (accounting) is an interesting major/specialty. With very small IQ (but good in other types of intelligence) people can still work in a big company (thus earn big money). With small IQ, doing account payable/receivable data entry to SAP software is still possible. And when the IQ is above 120 you have clear path to become the Managing Director (competing with others from Sales department). But engineers will usually become just engineers regardless of their very high IQ.

My point was actually not about engineers, but the fact that you don't need geniuses to do the ordinary tasks.
Another must-read, about testing in general: Banesh Hoffman, The Tyranny of Testing (reviewed iirc in The Objectivist Newsletter!). Is all this about Rand coming around now because of Halloween?? :D

Interesting about the testing. As I mentioned, it was a couple years ago. :)

Interesting about the testing. As I mentioned, it was a couple years ago. :)

Sure. But I know it was Stanford-Binet. Most probably the third edition (age scale format).

This kind of test, was not suitable for children in my/our era. I still remember sitting on a tall university folding chair with table integrated with the chair. The answer sheets were A4 size papers. They used OHP projector to show the questions. After several minutes they change the question (the slide) leaving me confused with unanswered questions. The chair, the paper, the OHP, were not what I'm familiar with in my school at first grade elementary level.

But having seen modern tests, they re not too different with the old ones, the questions and the results. They are useless IMHO. And Americans are responsible for that :D

IQ test is a common practice in high schools. It is expensive, and schools (which means parents of the students) have to pay for the garbage. The reports are all computerized/automated, from reading the OMR to writing the report.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The IQ test questions evolved over time..... at 15 ( a Long time ago) I missed a lot of questions on the IQ test, such as, who wrote the book titled _________ " WTF? At that time there was the thought that a highly educated person would get a high IQ result and such people ought to be well rounded/read in all the subjects. Now however, it (IQ #) relates to how quickly one can grasp concepts compared to others.

Not sure if there is any correlation to creativity, though. http://creativesomething.net/post/41103661291/the-relationship-between-creativity-and

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
The IQ test questions evolved over time..... at 15 ( a Long time ago) I missed a lot of questions on the IQ test, such as, who wrote the book titled _________ " WTF?

Hehe. It is the "knowledge" part of the cognitive skill. The latest Stanford-Binet (SB5) still has it.

At that time there was the thought that a highly educated person would get a high IQ result and such people ought to be well rounded/read in all the subjects.

My be that was true for adults, but not for children. That is probably why children IQs tend to be smaller than adults even tho the questions are different.

Now however, it (IQ #) relates to how quickly one can grasp concepts compared to others.

I'm not sure about it (What test is it?). Taken for granted? My be now when you see the test, you re already too knowledgeable to understand that for others it could be a different story?

I have a theory that when people IQ is high in childhood, most probably it would increase rapidly in adultery, for some reasons. For normal people, the IQ score never changed outside of +/- 12 points.

Related to adultery knowledge, there are a few things that help my IQ test score, which is part of my knowledge. (1) English proficiency. From more than a hundred employees in my work, including expatriates, my English tests top the chart, also in universities. (2) General knowledge. As a computer guy, I can make an ERP software, so I know how accounting works more than accountants. I'm familiar with WORLD database (which is MySQL sample) so when question is related to name of country in the world, I'm at advantage.

Luckily I think the question is never related with problems that can be easily solved with Math (equality), because I have Math and Science background. And Science people know a lot of things non-Science people don't, yes?

Another must-read, about testing in general: Banesh Hoffman, The Tyranny of Testing (reviewed iirc in The Objectivist Newsletter!).

Initially it looked interesting as the author has a relationship with Einstein. But this issue he brought is too "basic". May be it is because education territory is highly respected in US (for having such organization as ETS). In my country it is worse and discussing it will not solve the problems (thus useless). But there is a thread recently regarding the crocodile swimming after a buffalo :D that is a proof that even in Europe it is still a problem.

Sure. But I know it was Stanford-Binet. Most probably the third edition (age scale format).

This kind of test, was not suitable for children in my/our era. I still remember sitting on a tall university folding chair with table integrated with the chair. The answer sheets were A4 size papers. They used OHP projector to show the questions. After several minutes they change the question (the slide) leaving me confused with unanswered questions. The chair, the paper, the OHP, were not what I'm familiar with in my school at first grade elementary level.

But having seen modern tests, they re not too different with the old ones, the questions and the results. They are useless IMHO. And Americans are responsible for that :D

IQ test is a common practice in high schools. It is expensive, and schools (which means parents of the students) have to pay for the garbage. The reports are all computerized/automated, from reading the OMR to writing the report.

If we took the Stanford-Binet test, we'd all have been in the 4th edition. I'm a bit younger than the usual contributor to this thread. Not sure if that affects your comments. :)

Interesting that it's common in HS in Indonesia! In our respective cases it was, in addition to our school performance, the basis to qualify you for the talented-and-gifted programs. As it was, we all scored marginally below the IQ cutoffs for our respective school districts (we moved around a bit growing up) to be taken automatically, but we were all were doing very well in school, so were accepted into those programs on that basis (were not at risk of hampering our regular schooling). I can only underscore my gratitude for being in my program, as we got to do a lot of cool projects and challenges outside the normal curriculum.

Anyhow, probably long enough on this thread drift--on to others, such as ultra-ultra low noise preamplifiers. :)

What a strange response to some interest in 1960's comic books. 88?

Not at all, just quirky. The guy had a photographic eye and amazing attention to detail, observed well known rules like 'thirds' and was not without talent. I am interested in photography. Anyway, your comment about comic books just happened to be the moment I came across that painting of St. Charles' and the thought just struck me, this was art too.

Norge.jpg

Not by AH, but JR, July 2014 above the Arctic Circle just before midnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.