John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bil,
I think we can agree that electronic fuel injection is just so much better than a carburetor that I don't miss having to set float levels and changing jets and idle circuits. A couple of oxygen sensors and mass air flow and all the other sensors and you just have such a superior system. Yes it is much more complex but a major improvement in every sense. No you can't fix it with a screw driver and a couple adjustments to limp home but you can never match the power output or fuel economy of fuel injection. I've been a fan since 1974 on my Mercedes 450SEL, never had a problem with the injection system in 500K miles besides a new fuel pump and filter.
I've helped a lot of people convert their cars from carb to EFI. The interesting part is that mapped ignition is a bigger improvement than the fuel injection. I sold an ignition setup to someone for their Ferrari 246. Like an idiot I didn't charge him treble. I talked him out of going fuel injection because it would have ruined the aural symphony of a v6 on downdrafts. For a weekend car, where you put £50 of premium in and just drive for the sake of driving carbs with mapped ignition is still tempting. For a daily driver EFI wins every time.

http://www.sevenselans.com/cars_for_sale/1984_caterham_superseven/images/IMG_0187.jpg for an example. RHD so you are sitting getting every slurp, growl and belch from those DCOEs. Either you get it or you think the owner is a complete basket case :). Mine had an RX-7 engine in.

Bill,
Are you talking about adding a digital spark box and timing control?

Christophe,
Don't worry about OS, he has more than a few fans and also many building his amplifiers. I don't think this thread is going to affect his own, it is going strong. It is like the Windows vs Apple conversation, most take one over the other and some will have both.

Last edited:
Yup. kill the dizzy, get a big fat spark. EDIS unit from a junkyard and solder up a computer to drive it. Particularly good for V8 land rovers. That buick 231 V8 was the cruelest joke you ever played on us, even before Lucas (prince of darkness) electrics :)
Add a turbo and that buick will get out of it's own way. By the way land rover used that 231 for a lot of years did they not . Youtube shows an old rover with that engine pulling a new one out if the mud so the replacement was how good ? :wchair:

Status
Not open for further replies.