John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
And what is a vintage ReVox A77 worth today? I have one sitting for the last 30 years that would surely need to be serviced but still in vintage condition sitting on the shelf. Who could bring it back to life as it should be and what in the world would that cost? I can imagine what all those capacitors would be like after sitting all these years.

I owned an A77 many years ago. They were packed with that red tubed roederstein lytics which are known now to dry out over the decades.

Today the only tape machine I kept is a NagraIII from 1971 that I rescued from scrap. I do not use it for recording anymore, its just a masterpiece of technique to be looked at.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
So works flat out for 1000 miles then explodes? Most of that was weeded out in the 80s. Hifi is generally an order of magnitude more reliable than F1 now.

Make it as reliable as you want but as good as an F1. Then, take off all the F1 restrictions while you are at it.... tire width, engine size, dimensions and make it over the top. What brands/models fit this description in audio... analog or digital? What does audio (analog or digital) have that is like a Mc Laren, etc. A no rules nor cost limited product for audio. An 'Unlimited' class of products exist in many fields but Audio?

Where is our best effort? Where is our Bugatti Veyron SS ??

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
F1 has never been unlimited. Always been restrictions, although fewer in the past, when cars were less reliable and might use 4 engines over a weekend.

Other than perhaps americas cup, which is unlimited lawyer racing where are these 'unlimited' products in other fields?

For unlimited in Audio look at mola mola. That's probably as close to the ultimate performance you can get for domestic audio , where performance is not measured by weight or shinyness or mystic runes.

Of course many on this forum have built systems that out perform anything from the bling and bull brigade that you see in the magazines. The rest of us just aspire to that...

Not a clue.

(Devialet, Magico, Metronome, Orpheus, Pass labs Xs, Soulution, JM lab)

Attachments

• Foam-It.jpg
    Foam-It.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 166
So works flat out for 1000 miles then explodes? Most of that was weeded out in the 80s. Hifi is generally an order of magnitude more reliable than F1 now.

Except those higher priced units working basically softwaredriven.

All el cheapos works usually, but expensive products fail often, at least in my hands.
I don't know how to make a really reliable product, since i am no designer ,but the audio industrie replaced most hardware problems with software problems, usually followed by updates replacing one bug with another one.

And somehow some chips can feel that i use them, both of my Tact Digital preamps failed with the same problem with the AD-Chip.:Ouch:

pumice stone

(foamed aluminum, open cell)

Back in the '80s, a series of composite mine-sweepers (non-magnetic) replacements were built for the navy here.
Shortly after the launch of the first two, hair-cracks were appearing in the crossing between hull and superstructure.
(re-design stage 2, and flog off the junk to Asia)

Fokker aerospace composites opened shop in Atlanta yesterday.

(without Thar for her to blow, who needs a stnkg Bug. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/234829-funniest-snake-oil-theories-140.html#post4101557 )

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
expensive and quality are not in lockstep. if you make 100k a year of something your quality has to be higher than if you make 100.

Really? There are plenty of low volume items made that are extremely reliable.

THx-RNMarsh

I made and showed here - very expensive to make pair of High Power, fast, ultra-low distortion amps but that still wasnt yet equivalent to the Bugatti Veyron. Yet. BTW - dont worry about selling it to the 0ne percenters. They are able to easily afford it when we make it. Who is going to design and make it? I'll give a run at it if no one else will. But a team would be best.

well the M700 was early 1990s, so may have had 20 years life. on one hand you could say that was ok for electronics. OTOH...

Yes, OTOH. :D My old Adcom GFA555 is ten years older, the caps are run well under their max voltage, the heat output is far lower than the Classe, and despite the abuse I've given it over the past 30 years, it still works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.