John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question becomes how do you design a great set of headphones if it is so difficult to actually measure the response accurately? Do you go strictly by subjective testing with well trained listeners or is there some other realistic method to measure a headphone that gives good correlation to subjective listening? I've listened to the Beats headphones and it didn't take more than a few seconds to realize how badly they were weighted to bass with poor mid and high frequency response, with very little top end response. I think a cheap pair of Sony headphones sound much better than the Beats at 1/4 the cost. How do we then say some high end headphones are so good except for subjective opinions, where does the science come into the design when there are so many problems with testing even on an artificial head-form?

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
The sad thing is there are some good engineers at Beats. The word on the street however is that Iovine gets involved at the last minute and insists on changing things.

This used to happen at Harman a lot in the pre-Toole days. Someone would work to get a loudspeaker perfected, within reason, and managers and VPs would come in, say More highs! More lows! and walk out.

Each curve shows change in hearing threshold versus frequency with aging, below which that percentile of the population belongs. So no, but I agree the graph is not easy to get ones head around, perhaps.

The text says change in hearing and has negative numbers! I read that as an improvement. But I suspect that they are comparing folks of various ages and not tracking the same population. That would leave open the exposure to and the change in environmental noise.

I just got notice of a permit approval after a hearing where I presented evidence of the ambient noise levels. It was very nice listing my creditable evidence as opposed to the oppositions speculation. Bruel and Kjaer meter really deserves the credit.

(The code calls for 45 dBA evening levels and I measured 60 dBa on a Sunday morning at 5:00 A.M. !!! Air conditioner noise from the folks I would have expected to have the strongest objections.)

Last edited:
The text says change in hearing and has negative numbers! I read that as an improvement. But I suspect that they are comparing folks of various ages and not tracking the same population. That would leave open the exposure to and the change in environmental noise.
The curves do not refer to changes for a particular individual followed during his aging.
They are bulk values, for a whole chunk of population, and some older people happen to hear better than some younger ones ... within limits: above a few KHz, age simply dominates....

Indicators

Thanks guys for putting forth a solution for my LED indicator. I already knew this of course, but in all fairness, my best designs run so warm, and are designed for 24 hour operation, so they don't even have an OFF/ON switch, so an indicator light is just not mandatory, because touching the chassis shows whether it is operating or not.

Maybe a small amount of tweaking and they will visibly glow from the warmth of the sound... and temperature of the device ;-) both figuratively and literally

Or you could use radium in the knobs and dials

Exactly.

To them, they say they can hear real differences in all sighted tests regardless of what is being tested. At which point, I ignore them -- that claim is simply not credible. eg. copper vs OCC copper to name one.

Oh don't get me started on the OCC nonsense. Was the same with OFC, but that buzzword was getting a bit long in the tooth so they needed to come up with a new marketing buzzword.

I know someone else in the headphone cable business who markets his stuff as using OCC. He knows it's a load of BS, but feels he needs to use it in order to get sales. However my headphone cable brand is very highly regarded in spite of my not even using OFC let alone OCC.

It's funny the excuses people will give for throwing their morals out the window.

se

A breakdown on the DR. Dre headphones showed them to cost less than $20 to make, and that steel was added just to make them heavier. This is not hi end audio, and IS just marketing. I wish many here could separate this example from the designs that are truly striving for audio quality.

That "breakdown" left a lot out, like the cost to make all the molds to churn out all those molded parts. Sure, that gets amortized out if you're able to sell a boatload of them, but it's still an up front cost that should have been included in the breakdown.

And the Beats Solo 2s don't sound nearly as bad as the original Solos. And their Studio and Pro models aren't so shabby.

So what's a more "high end" headphone? Grados? Nothing special at all about them. And they're just using the same cheap Mylar drivers as the Beats and a bazillion other headphones.

se

Bcarso, are there really any real headphone engineers at Beats? I thought these, as well as most headphones were derived from outside consultants. In fact, I think I know one guy who was associated with these and many other headphones out there. He is one cynical guy.

Most headphone "design" is just industrial design done around the same basic Mylar drivers that most everyone else is using. There are some examples that go beyond that, but for the most part it's just industrial design.

se

Oh don't get me started on the OCC nonsense. Was the same with OFC, but that buzzword was getting a bit long in the tooth so they needed to come up with a new marketing buzzword.

I know someone else in the headphone cable business who markets his stuff as using OCC. He knows it's a load of BS, but feels he needs to use it in order to get sales. However my headphone cable brand is very highly regarded in spite of my not even using OFC let alone OCC.

It's funny the excuses people will give for throwing their morals out the window.

se

Perhaps it's just cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.