John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Does anyone recall the UK audio reviewer who said he heard a difference in the sound of his integrated amp (iirc) when he disconnected the LED front panel indicator? It was in one of the woollier magazines, and the man even said You're not going to like this.

And not to forget Bedini, who sawed into the TO-3 cases of power transistors and put damping goo inside.

When Brad Plunkett and Rich May were tasked with coming up with a cost-reduced automotive amplifier, Rich got to use an LED for biasing something only when it doubled as an indicator lamp. So it was actually exposed to some light. But the notion that this was a measurable, let alone audible effect was not entertained, as far as I recall.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Does anyone recall the UK audio reviewer who said he heard a difference in the sound of his integrated amp (iirc) when he disconnected the LED front panel indicator? It was in one of the woollier magazines, and the man even said You're not going to like this.

Sounds like Jimmy Hughes. Only out loonied by the dark side of Martin colloms claiming lead free solder was the death of high end.

...stupid people who want to believe in aliens doing anal probing! .
I'll probably lose the very little credibility I have left on this forum.

Longs years ago, i saw a strange luminous phenomena, while I was driving my car up the Champs Elysées with a friend. (He was a doctor in medicine).
Six perfectly aligned lights in the sky, each surrounded by a halo. Of an strange white, very "cold" that not existed at this time were white 6000K LEDs was not yet invented, if you see what I mean.
They were moving to the right, above the "Arc de Triomphe", as if it were illuminated portholes of a plane. That's what i imagined first. Then stopped in a perfect immobility for one second or so. I thought at this moment, it was some kind of a big helicopter... Then suddenly, all those luminous points exploded in all the directions. at various speeds, before going off, all at once in a sudden like if somebody had cut the AC power.
I thought at this moment it was a fireworks, but ... Instant speeds, no acceleration, no parabolic trajectories, perfect strait lines, impossible.

After a long time of silence and stupefaction, we decided both to not comment together what we had seen and to write independently the report of this strange moment. It is only when we exchanged our texts that i realized, reading his paper that it reminded-me testimonies I had read in some unworthy books about flying saucers.

Note that, at each moment of this spectacle, we both tried to correlate what we were seeing with known phenomena. Despite it was impossible: A plane flying in the middle of Paris, which in-flight is prohibited. An helicopter big like a 747 Boeing, a fireworks that don't follow the laws of inertia and gravity.
And impossible to explain this strange feeling of silence, peace and beauty we had feel at this moment, that, objectify, nothing justify (I'm most of the time bored by fireworks)

To dissipate any doubt about any visual illusion of both of us, the day after at the TV news, they reported hundreds of testimonies about strange luminous phenomena, observed by many people in a one hour time lap, on a line that crosses the country.

Well, as I'm not a "believer", I still don't *believe* in flying saucers. But it is boring, I cannot explain what i had seen. Just I'm more prone to believe in the honesty of people reporting similar phenomena, more than the confused explanations from the scientist in service that day on TV, trying to make us believe that it was the explosion of a pink Ford Mustang hitting the atmosphere at high speed ;-)

Last edited:
The "proof" that aliens exist because of some lights in the sky is a real stretch. It is usually offered as "I cannot imagine what else it could be. It must be aliens."

No.

Those two statements are a tautology: "It must be aliens" is a simple restatement of "I cannot imagine what else it could be"..... the two comments do not form an argument or deductive chain.

At best, the first statement is an admission of being unable to imagine what else it could be.....Period.

This lack of imagination does not imply that aliens are at the root of the phenomenon, it just points to a lack of imagination or knowledge about the phenomenon. To believe aliens are the cause is a pure leap of faith.

This is very similar to those that suggest science does not explain what we hear. Perhaps, they are using the wrong science? Perhaps psycho-acoustics is more important than physics?

Toole did prove that Brand, Appearance and Cost played a larger role than actual sonics in determining sonic preference by sighted listening. That was the whole reason for the listening lab built by Harmon Intl.

Last edited:
Shrimp & Grits

what?
you never had shrimp & grits?

oh well, more for me then!

:)

mlloyd1

I'm lucky enough to live in Chapel Hill, NC, which has become a foodie's paradise of sorts. A local restaurant Crook's Corner makes unbelievably satisfying Shrimp & Grits, here is a link to the head chef's breakdown of how it is made:

The Shrimp & Grits at Crook's Corner in North Carolina - Eater

As a matter of fact I am taking my wife there Sunday for her birthday dinner...and salivating already.

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE- WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC

To believe aliens are the cause is a pure leap of faith.
I agree, as well as negating the possibility of their existence is stupid, OMHO.

For the few I know about the laws of the universe we are living in, life appears an inevitable way if some environmental conditions are satisfied.
And, if there is enough time for this life to evolve, tend to create 'intelligence'.

With the billions of galaxies that surround us, it seems to me that it is impossible that what happened on our planet was not produced on others. May be in different ways, at different times.

The only thing that makes-me have doubts about Aliens visiting our planet is what we knows, *for the moment*, about size of the Univers and speeds of travels that Einstein may allow us to expect as possible, and age of the universe.

*For the moment and what we know about*, (10% of the universe and its laws ?)

So, it seems to me that it is not a correct scientific attitude to negate this possibility. Just it has to be one of the hypothesis to explore... with scientific methods ;-)

[edit] My post was cross-posted with Bonsai's one, saying the same thing. Time to reconcile? ;-)

Last edited:
Andrew, of that number, it's to be expected that not every single planet with possible life on it started out at the same time. Som will probably be much older than our entire galaxy, let alone our little rock circling the sun.

I cannot say a definite yes, but I think it's highly probable some of those much older civilizations might have come across us at some point. Perhaps even seeded the Earth with life, although there is a good chance that this was done by asteroids, which have been called the seeds of life in the universe. We have no definite proof of either possibility.

Ridley Scott made an interesting assumption in his movie "Prometheus", which he will no doubt elaborate on in chapter/movie No.2, soon to be released.

Status
Not open for further replies.