John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought they were quite ordinary and more common like in Vietnam for instance. I guess it's like prairie oysters, from the food channel you would think everyone in the west here eats them every week.
:)
i don't know the history, but i think it just comes from times where human were obliged to eat everything that moves to survive . And the older traces of frog bones in archaeological food traces seems to came form England (amusing).
In France, when I was young, it was something to amuse the kids, I believe. Going to hunt frogs with a little red piece of tissue at the country in family. A real hassle to cook in order to amuse them; lot of work for nothing so good ... and so little to eat.
Like the crayfish, in a way.
It taste not so different from Chicken, few and lot of work to eat, product is not so tasty and everything lies on the sauce, in fact. Because it was not so often in our menus, restaurant offer them as something special and, because it was on their menus, and kind of strange, now, we are called "froggies" ;-)

Some pianobar stuff from mon grand-oncle : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkSNxQ-z4zQ
Nice and quiet :)

Last edited:
Found on Interrnet:
"It seems that the success of the steak from 1771 and its British origin led to assimilate the English at their favorite dish. Besides, roast term means "grilled meat English" (roast beef). The latter saw its spelling is Frenchified.
The other explanation is military. The 19th century English soldiers wore red uniforms (they were called the redcoats). Strange as it may seem, the English army was well and truly the Red Army! Moreover, even were called lobster the time of Napoleon.

Finally, it seems that the English do not like too much sun exposure, roast term referring to the scarlet that would take their skin after heavy exposure to the sun ..."

selling ortolan is now banned, but apparantly there are still odd 'invitation dinners'.

The one thing I will never understand is grits. At least not in the 21st century!

Well try and get your head around biscuits and gravy, ironically when I visited SY in Austin that was the only hot item on the breakfast menu at my hotel.

I came across ortolans in the famous Claibourne dinner of 1975, Just a Quiet Dinner for Two in Paris (Nov. 14, 1975)

I think they were paired with 1961 Petrus, a fine bottle.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I tried to expunge biscuits and gravy from my mind 18 years ago.

Also why do you sometimes get lumps of cake with a meal? My first trip to Boston market was very confusing as no idea what the cake was for!

Having said that there are still eel pie shops in England if you are unfortunate enough to find one!

I came across ortolans in the famous Claibourne dinner of 1975, Just a Quiet Dinner for Two in Paris (Nov. 14, 1975)

This (may-be not in a restaurant but in the country house of your best friend, Ortolans cooking in the fireplace), followed by a week-end in a Caribbean island with the beautiful girl you just felt in love with, and a good live show there from your favorite musician, and all the rest of your life will seems desperately boring.

Last edited:
Kind of like eating Quail, not enough on those little birds to make it worth the while, and hunting those little ground hugging birds just seemed a way to make your dogs happy. I'll stick with chicken, flavored any way you want it. Now, though I have been there and done that, I still don't get the fried chicken and waffles concept, not exactly what I think of as Southern or Soul food. And you can keep the grits and the biscuits and gravy.

Corn bread is like matzo ball soup, either really good or a mealy mistake that goes down like a rock. If the cornbread is hard forget it, I like it nice and fluffy and if a matzo ball doesn't float forget it. Same with the difference between a good corned beef and pastrami, one is nice and tasty and the other a pile of greasy meat. Makes me want to go make some potato pancakes. Or perhaps some nice crepes for dinner filled with some chicken and a great sauce.

I tried to expunge biscuits and gravy from my mind 18 years ago.

Also why do you sometimes get lumps of cake with a meal? My first trip to Boston market was very confusing as no idea what the cake was for!

Having said that there are still eel pie shops in England if you are unfortunate enough to find one!

Had eel in green sauce in Brussels the bones were annoying. You need to go to an eel only restaurant in Hammamatsu.

Yes that was probably corn bread. Think roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, though in New England you can find proper pop-overs if your lucky.

Healthy food...
Make a good batter as for pancakes; put in a hot toss-pan over the fire with a bit of butter to fry the bottom a little then put the pan and butter under a shoulder of mutton, instead of a dripping pan, keeping frequently shaking it by the handle and it will be light and savoury, and fit to take up when your mutton is enough; then turn it in a dish and serve it hot.

I love the "when it is enough"

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005

Anthologized in a Claiborne/NYT collection, Craig Claiborne's Favorites Volume 2, the story is accompanied by pricing of the wines they drank if purchased retail in NYC. Not surprisingly, the most expensive (although available in 1975) was the 1929 Romanee Conti, at 500 dollars. Sigh.

There is a spoof of the article that is also reprinted, by Russell Baker, Francs and Beans. It is hilarious.

I bought a second copy and gave it to Floyd and Noreen Toole. I hope they realize that it has recipes that could be attempted (and invite me if they do).

Attachments

• Yuana-Dushi.JPG
    Yuana-Dushi.JPG
    379.3 KB · Views: 150
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yes that was probably corn bread. Think roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, though in New England you can find proper pop-overs if your lucky.

Yorkshire pudding is not loaded with sugar and shaped like a madeline though. Of course I shouldn't have expected high quality food from boston market!

hmmm reckon toad in the hole for dinner tomorrow

Shame on you, Sir!

As a Londoner by origin, I was brought up on eels, pie and mash! NOT eel pie; eels are served either jellied or stewed. The pie was minced beef (well, meat!) served with mashed potatoes and a rich parsley sauce called liquor.

I used to go down to the shop on Hammersmith Broadway on Saturday mornings as a lad with a shiny half-crown - 2s/6d - £0.125 in my pocket.

This gained me entrance to the Saturday morning cinema (cartoons, ads and a serial - e.g. Roy Rogers), seconds of liquor at the P&E shop, and a sticky sweet for the homeward journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.