John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The orient express still sells out when it runs.

People still buy expensive mechanical watches when a casio F-91W is more accurate.

Enjoying vinyl is not a sin. In fact IMO its even more enjoyable when you know that it really shouldn't work as well as it does.

The 'real' Orient Express..... still runs between Thailand and Malaysia. An over-nighter. Very good food.

I found good reason to have both mechanical and electronic [battery] watches. So, one can enjoy both for what they are and offer. But for quality over-all -- note the mechanical Patek-Philip hold the top 8 places for highest paid for a watch at auction. They easily run/last for 200 years.

MC loading:
Discussion on MC Cartridge Loading

THx-RNMarsh

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
The language in this note suggests a large reciprocity for the MC cartridges discussed, as it separates the electronic response from the overall output response.

If one looks at just the electronic response due to cartridge inductance and resistance, it would seem there isn't anything nearly as large in the audible frequency range as shown on the graphs.

So I wonder what gives?

More than a teeny edge. And the Technics is even better in that regard. The 150MLX moving mass is considerably higher than the Technics (which has lower effective mass than any other cartridge, MM or MC), so the resonance may not be as high as we'd hope- I have no measurements on that yet. It does sound very nice, though.

So I wonder what gives?

Designing for low noise at low impedances is a real challenge. To avoid this challenge many preamplifier designers just use a high input resistance and thereby force the cartridge to work into the wrong load.

This makes no sense, show me a pre-amp that has less net RTO noise with a 47K input vs a 100 Ohm one. Noise figure is a relatively meaningless concept in the context of audio.

I don't own a watch of any kind, my mother still has my genuine Davy Crockett watch green plastic case IIRC.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, I too, got it wrong. So what? It is meaningless quibbling.
Now, if you guys wanted to learn what vinyl reproduction can really do, you would graduate from MM to MC, and expensive ones too, along with comparable vinyl playback equipment. Nobody has shown me this, so far. No wonder you guys like CD's! '-)

Status
Not open for further replies.