John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
For an excursion outward or inward, depending on the suspension, volume of air, motor characteristics, at any point within that excursion the high frequency sensitivity varies in accord with a law---ideally this would be a constant, but it never is. As a result, driving open loop we have IM distortion based on the superposition of the two tones.
Brad, so you're saying that that the motion of the cone is always significantly non-linear, otherwise we wouldn't be getting IMD? Now, there are plenty of drivers around that when operating in their optimum range can do THD that's 60dB down or better, if we are to believe the published graphs - so, how are they fluking this, or are you worrying about those below 60dB artifacts?

Never mind Frank it's a matter of taste. The climate stuff is moot anyway, last time I was in France (at a top chateau) an 18 wheeler housing a whole "rent a chem lab" pulled up. Just dial in the taste you want. Current price on their 2010 a mere $180 a bottle.
Doesn't always work ... there's winery up the coast here, with magnificent rose gardens stretching for 10's of metres as you drive up to the front door. Whoa, that chardonnay! Amazing floral character, how do they get that intensity?! Try the semillon ... hey, there's that floral character again, completely dominating!! Let's try a red, some Merlot - oh no, that bloody floral thing yet again! Surely not in the Shiraz - yep, :eek:!!

I was too scared to try the port ... ;) .

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Brad, so you're saying that that the motion of the cone is always significantly non-linear, otherwise we wouldn't be getting IMD? Now, there are plenty of drivers around that when operating in their optimum range can do THD that's 60dB down or better, if we are to believe the published graphs - so, how are they fluking this, or are you worrying about those below 60dB artifacts?
Key here I think is the application to very-high excursions relative to diameter, and a wide frequency range. Undoubtedly there are many fine drivers available today, for two- and three-way systems, and I probably wouldn't chase -60dB artifacts, whether HD or IM. But try to span several octaves with complex material... Show me a small driver that has the same sensitivity at 3kHz when the voice coil is located 5mm in and then at "rest" and then at 5mm out---that would be very impressive. But drive the thing knowing what the sensitivity law is as a function of that excursion, and know where the vc is, and change the 3kHz gain accordingly to flatten the sensitivity, and you should have a quite measurable and audible improvement, provided other effects are still under control.

Again, the motivation for considering this (and it was just that---never developed at the time) was the problems of the little drivers I worked with at Harman. The use of accelerometer-based FB systems for reducing woofer distortion was well-developed even then, but not particularly germane to selling audio to Apple, Compaq, Dell, and their ilk.

Now that powerful DSP is almost dirt-cheap, it may be an idea whose time has come.

Doesn't always work ... there's winery up the coast here, with magnificent rose gardens stretching for 10's of metres as you drive up to the front door. Whoa, that chardonnay! Amazing floral character, how do they get that intensity?! Try the semillon ... hey, there's that floral character again, completely dominating!! Let's try a red, some Merlot - oh no, that bloody floral thing yet again! Surely not in the Shiraz - yep, :eek:!!

I was too scared to try the port ... ;) .

Your kiwi neighbors invented (or helped invent) this crap it's known as using the right cultured yeasts, ask SY. Cat's Pee On A Gooseberry Bush Sauvignon Blanc 2008 - WineAlign You don't get it they want it to taste that way.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Your kiwi neighbors invented (or helped invent) this crap it's known as using the right cultured yeasts, ask SY. Cat's Pee On A Gooseberry Bush Sauvignon Blanc 2008 - WineAlign You don't get it they want it to taste that way.

I love the two-star rating, yet, gamely, the site suggests food pairings! This reminds me of that great Monty Python routine about wines, found on one of their recordings.

EDIT: this one; it cuts off just a tad early: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbOZccv9ym8

Last edited:
bcarso
I think it would be nice to know, where the center of the coil is located, when it is trying to do additional freqencies at a specific point of excursion. Everybody knows, that relieving a midrange from large excursions improves clarity. The springloading of the spider and surround, will be easy to account for.
Having an extra stationary coil in the gap will give a possibility of feedback for applying some servo.
A built in miniature light-distancesensor should give info enough to run signal through DSP for correction.
I know it sounds too simple, but I will try playing with it.
Another thing to try is to use magnetic fluid as the motor.
Inverse fieldcoil if there is such a thing.

Interestingly, it's being mentioned a bit at the moment, down here, that the newly adventurous Chinese middle class are very interested in our wine, the pollies are seeing dollar signs about exports picking up strongly - our iron and coal is starting to get a bit on the nose, so we're worrying about the next "big thing" ...

Status
Not open for further replies.