John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australians, show due national pride and refuse to give up on your own stew! Dissenters should be shot on sight. Danes have good pastry and butter (though I still prefer New Zealand butter), excellent ham, but they don't know much about stew, at least while I was in Copenhagen last (2008).

Joined 2002
Paid Member
George, I have not started looking at it yet but how well does miniDSP handle the large difference in low frequency IIR coefficients?

Scott
This is the output of the MiniDSP 2x4 with a 15Hz High-Pass implemented with all the available filter types of the cross-over section (BW=Butterworth, LR=Linkwitz-Riley, Bessel)

I hope that I understood your question.

George

Attachments

• Filter 1.JPG
    Filter 1.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 181
  • Filter 2.JPG
    Filter 2.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 179
  • Filter 3.JPG
    Filter 3.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Filter 4.JPG
    Filter 4.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Matchin Preamp Transistors

Using the test jig that I made I've found some parts to a lot better than others.
Here is the link again: https://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/MiscProj/transmat001.pdf

2SC2240 BL
Testing at + -12v: HP3468A
Right before the emitter resistor (differential pairs) in Volts DC:
first config, then emitter resistor swap
1 & 2: -.000048, -000040
Across the matched 100Kohm emitter resistors:
1: +12.6683
2: +12.6683

Matching at higher current level with 10kOhm emitter resistors:
1 & 2: -.000070, -000045
Across added pair of of 10K ohm emitter resistors:
1. +12.6555
2. +12.6555

Then, these test from an original pair 2N5210
3 & 4: -.15 -.14

Across pair of 100Kohm resistors
3: +12.313
4: +12.319

Acros pair of 10Kohm emitter resistors
3: +12.0648
4: +12.0724

The pair listed as 3, 4 were responsible for 11.30 Vp-p offset
while another pair was 10.75Vp-p offset through the amplifier MC250
observed through TEK 2246.

With 1kHz signal -30dB the offset increased beyond 60Vp-p.

Transistors 1, 2 will be one pair of replacements.

I'll post a pic of the Jig this evening from iPhone
which insures pic will be fuzzy.

Last edited:
Scott
This is the output of the MiniDSP 2x4 with a 15Hz High-Pass implemented with all the available filter types of the cross-over section (BW=Butterworth, LR=Linkwitz-Riley, Bessel)

I hope that I understood your question.

George

Yes that's exactly what I was looking for, ultimate attenuation 85 or so db. Probably fine, though with FP it becomes >150dB.

How did you generate/record the sweeps?

BTW - Thanks for going through the trouble I'm temporarily very hardware handicapped.

Last edited:
Scott,
It wasn't such a strong flavor that I wouldn't eat it but it was a job to chew it. I have parts of an Ox in Germany that was much better. Some of the sausage I just didn't want to eat, but many of the foods were like my aunts and uncles would make, so very familiar and I knew all the pastries and cookies in the bakery.

We used to go shooting, the rabbits around Gurlach, NV. Not much out there.
We'd use .22LR, kind of hard to hit the little guys.

Finally we went to shotgun's and it was hard to miss even and long range.
Ya didn't want to eat'em either, they were loaded with ticks and other
parasites. So we just left them.

Funny thing we went looking for them the next day and all the carcus'
were gone. Nothing goes to waste in the desert.

Kindhornman, there is nothing like some of their sausage...
I enjoyed and helped make the winter sausage with Herr Kuegler.
There was nothing better smoked with Cherry. The secret to pork
beside never feeding them fleisch (meat), is 30 - 60 days before slaughter
to have them eat a potato diet. MMMmmmm.

The absolute nasty stuff is the left over products from rendering the fat.
Little meat pieces with lard, spread on bread.

The secret to pork
beside never feeding them fleisch (meat), is 30 - 60 days before slaughter
to have them eat a potato diet. MMMmmmm.
Reminds me ... the most spectacular piece of meat I ever ate was pork at a family barbeque in Germany, with a sour berry sauce on it, years ago. It made the best piece of steak I had ever tasted shrink back to be like eating cardboard - or so it seemed at the time ... :D .

Attachments

• smokehouse.jpg
    smokehouse.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 168
luckythedog,
Thanks for that video, it explained the difference between the linear and minimum phase very nicely. To bad I am on my laptop, no kick drum really at all, but the snare was nice and clean. My Beats laptop sound is a real joke I must say.
You're welcome, Kindhornman. I think the combination of clear audio demos in that video along with an explanation of why is a great balance. I don't think it matters too much what equipment the video is viewed on, most of the effects aren't subtle, so any reasonable playback should be fine, such as headphones on a laptop.

The impossible pre-sound that emerges for kick drums with linear phase filters is just a great demo. Linear phase filters have no group delay of course. And one of the penalties is impossible (in nature) time shifts where fast events begin before they happen - non causal. This occurs not just with kick drums, but more generally too. The video has loads of great and clearly audible demos of the differences and sounds. Also other audible tricks which non-causal filters can do. As I say, well worth 20 minutes of time, or even watching a few times IMO, should settle a more than a few misunderstandings I reckon.

A repost of the link is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efKabAQQsPQ

Group delay is an essential feature of natural filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.