John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Bybee thing that controversy is boring, at the end. I don't believe in it more than most of you. But, if i had to evaluate it, i should first proceed to an attentive and honest listening. Can we perceive any change ?
If the response i "NO", why to even measure-it ?
If the response is "Yes", and measurements don't show nothing, time to ask ourself questions.
Hi Esp.
Yes, the repeated arguments from those without experience of BQP is resoundingly boring.....''an empty vessel makes the most din'' comes to mind.

Right now I am listening to a little Panasonic shelf system playing AM radio.....I am able to instantly switch BQP in and out of 240V supply, and the subjective change is readily apparent. (I am willing to elaborate via PM or Skype).

Yes, the subjective listening test is the first step.
Understanding or at least noting subjective changes is the key to defining the testing/measurements protocol.
In the case of an individual BQP, yes expect it to test as a simple 0.025 ohm resistor with expected inductance value according to lead lengths.
The key is to measure system response with BQP in system circuit, but sine/square stimulus will not reveal the changes that are noted subjectively.
But it is certainly not with the purpose to demonstrate it is BS before even to open the box that we gonna get an objective evaluation.
Unless one is willing to wager tasting their own Brown 25.

Dan.

Jakob2 said:
Discussion about those highly controversial topics imho quite often run along these lines:
But many of these topics are not "highly controversial" at all. They are merely people asserting things which are clearly untrue (like nonsense about feedback "delays"), and then putting their fingers in their ears when others tell them so. There can only be controversy about things which are unknown; once things are known there is nothing to argue about, it is just a case of learning and accepting the truth. Sadly, people seem to think they have the right to reject the truth even before they have bothered to learn it.

While i am quite unhappy with a lot of generalization within audiophile descriptions i am also unhappy with the general negation.
Discussion about those highly controversial topics imho quite often run along these lines:

1.) BS, would violate natural laws or be a physical paradoxon

after showing that "1.)" does not hold, then follows

2.) might be so in theory but will not show up in reality

after showing that it can be measured in practice, then follows

3.) maybe, but you can´t hear that

It is in no way meant offensive, but seeing these discussions often in the past years makes me wonder if there is anything that will be accepted although strong personal believe is touched.

Having an open mind... when the facts are presented being capable of changing your beliefs... called education or learning.....

Pay attention to the phenomenon, NOT the rationalization.

Often those who recognize the phenomenon do not have the knowledge to rationalize or to explain what is happening. But do not ignore the phenomenon just because people use incorrect Physics in an effort to rationalize it.

Yes but this sort of silly stuff only appears in esoteric audio discussions, a get out of jail free for many scam sellers, you wont hear the benefit until you have forgotten the what you were listening too, sorry cable break in..........
Maybe if some of the BS was reduced, the hobby may attract a new audience in the next generations........

They are merely people asserting things which are clearly untrue (like nonsense about feedback "delays"), and then putting their fingers in their ears when others tell them so.

May be because you are attacking the person instead of explaining correctly what he is trying to explain. Of course, usually you cannot explain either, because you also HAVE NO IDEA or you don't experience the phenomenon. But most of the time, you assume that you know everything, and when you don't experience the same phenomenon then you assume that it doesn't exist. Worse, you assume that those who experience it are having hallucination and suddenly, instead of becoming Physics expert (who should be able to explain), you become an expert in Psychology and Neurology.

Hi Esp.
Yes, the repeated arguments from those without experience of BQP is resoundingly boring.....''an empty vessel makes the most din'' comes to mind.

Right now I am listening to a little Panasonic shelf system playing AM radio.....I am able to instantly switch BQP in and out of 240V supply, and the subjective change is readily apparent. (I am willing to elaborate via PM or Skype).

Yes, the subjective listening test is the first step.
Understanding or at least noting subjective changes is the key to defining the testing/measurements protocol.
In the case of an individual BQP, yes expect it to test as a simple 0.025 ohm resistor with expected inductance value according to lead lengths.
The key is to measure system response with BQP in system circuit, but sine/square stimulus will not reveal the changes that are noted subjectively.

Unless one is willing to wager tasting their own Brown 25.

Dan.

If you are designing any electronics system you collect and study the DATA SHEETS for ALL components, you don't just pick stuff cos there is some silly quantum BS saying what it does.... only in the world of "silly audio" do some blindly use silly components with NO data or measureable parameters other than BS marketing and a host of people shouting "what wonderful new clothes".

May be because you are attacking the person instead of explaining correctly what he is trying to explain. Of course, usually you cannot explain either, because you also HAVE NO IDEA or you don't experience the phenomenon. But most of the time, you assume that you know everything, and when you don't experience the same phenomenon then you assume that it doesn't exist. Worse, you assume that those who experience it are having hallucination and suddenly, instead of becoming Physics expert (who should be able to explain), you become an expert in Psychology and Neurology.

Wave them hands....
Why whenever a theory is questioned is it an attack on the person putting forth that theory, get the hankies out....

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Worse, you assume that those who experience it are having hallucination and suddenly, instead of becoming Physics expert (who should be able to explain), you become an expert in Psychology and Neurology.

But there is a considerable body of evidence to support that view. The human mind is wired in such as way that it is easy to be fooled. You may not like the fact but its there. Placebo trials are particularly interesting. 3 sugar pills has more effect than 2 as people believe they are getting more of the drug. If something looks nice, or cost a lot, or you made it yourself with love and attention it is likely to sound better because you expect it to.

If someone prefers all silver cabling I have no issues. If they say silver is 'better' I would want some evidence beyond their preference.

It is odd tho that the so called 'hardline objectivists' on this thread are actually more open minded than those having a go at them.

Yes but this sort of silly stuff only appears in esoteric audio discussions, a get out of jail free for many scam sellers, you wont hear the benefit until you have forgotten the what you were listening too, sorry cable break in..........

I think scam sellers can be of many forms...

As for cable break-in, my experience is telling me that it is the solder connection. I have no experience where a cable become good sounding after some time (but I don't try to negate the possibility). But if related with new solder connection, YES, I experience it almost anytime.

If you are designing any electronics system you collect and study the DATA SHEETS for ALL components, you don't just pick stuff cos there is some silly quantum BS saying what it does.... only in the world of "silly audio" do some blindly use silly components with NO data or measurable parameters other than BS marketing and a host of people shouting "what wonderful new clothes".
Yes, of course we all study data sheets, but data sheets do not always quote measurements of all parameters.....you know this.
In the case of BQP, I have no pecuniary interest in them as they are on long term loan.
Further, whilst I hear and understand the subjective effects of BQP on various systems, I do not actually like the 'signature' that they impart.
I take zero heed of the Bybee website claims/explanations and other user reviews, and instead make my own judgements.
I hope this clears my viewpoint for you.
I assume that you have nil personal experience of BQP, please correct me if this is not so.

Dan.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member

As for cable break-in, my experience is telling me that it is the solder connection. I have no experience where a cable become good sounding after some time (but I don't try to negate the possibility). But if related with new solder connection, YES, I experience it almost anytime.

Any mechanism for this? A bad joint can fail, but how can a good joint get better?

But there is a considerable body of evidence to support that view. The human mind is wired in such as way that it is easy to be fooled. You may not like the fact but its there. Placebo trials are particularly interesting. 3 sugar pills has more effect than 2 as people believe they are getting more of the drug.

Just because the thing is new or interesting to you, doesn't mean that you are the only one who knows about it. May be they have questioned themselves before, with the exact same question.

If something looks nice, or cost a lot, or you made it yourself with love and attention it is likely to sound better because you expect it to.

Have you ever paid attention, that these guys have exactly the opposite experience. They have expensive stuff but they don't use it... because they believe in what they hear.

If someone prefers all silver cabling I have no issues. If they say silver is 'better' I would want some evidence beyond their preference.

Why did you use quotes on "better"? Because in essence, nobody said that silver is better. In audiophile world, silver is known to be BRIGHT, "crowded". So from positive point of view it gives you some kind of "details". Usually they solve the negative side by using not too much silver (they call it "balancing") or the break-in idea (which is more a mystery, because there is this phenomenon where things just fall in place after some time).

There are rationalizations regarding silver. Better conductivity?? Silver oxide (which will be present if the silver is not coated) has high conductivity?? Skin effect where more current in the outer shell gives phase distortion or delay??

Who knows, if the bright sound of silver is caused by RFI. May be silver is better in picking up RFI?? I don't know but may be you know if it is not possible.

But I know very well from my experience the effect of RFI and AC line on speaker cable and crossover.

Several post before JC mentioned that he "suspect" that we under-estimate the effect of AC impurities. Didn't you suspect that he was "revealing" the idea behind the Bybee device??

Here is my question to the expert:

I know what I hear. If interference (from AC line or RFI) get to the speaker thru the cable/crossover, Does it go directly to speaker, or it goes to the amp and (may be thru the feedback path) get amplified first?

So give some sort of explanation..... I have studies soldered joints quite closely and don't think that they require break in, none that I have ever seen, and aging creep etc. are long term problems, but if you have any information or explanation I am all ears.

Any mechanism for this? A bad joint can fail, but how can a good joint get better?

I have no idea. But I know a lot of people that when they experience something, they try to explain it with Physics even tho they know nothing about Physics.

But if you don't know how a "good" joint can get better, then what is the difference with me? We both don't know :D

Some people say that it is the ears that is breaking in... :eek:

What does Jack Bybee believe this nanotube thing does anyway? I skimmed through the paper from Science about the quantization and ballistic transport but still have no idea how a bundle of nanotubes would affect a signal passing through them.

If Mildred the Carbon Queen would read what the self appointed high end audio gurus understood from her life time work, she would definitely cringe and shrug :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.