John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. This result, with 2 back-to-back tantalum capacitors is from standard use as a coupling capacitor. Reminder - my method is at the limit. Is 0.00047% too much? Do you want different load, THD vs. frequency plot, test place photo?

Attachments

• 4u7_tantal.PNG
    4u7_tantal.PNG
    45.9 KB · Views: 197
  • cap_testplace.JPG
    cap_testplace.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 4u7_tantal_thd_f.PNG
    4u7_tantal_thd_f.PNG
    42.7 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I just repeated my 32 year old test with the same tant cap values and the same test conditions. Inverse parallel was about 15dB BETTER than the same parts in series. 20db better compared with a single 4.7uf tantalum cap. Perhaps my test conditions encouraged this result, but I don't see how. What SY measured, I cannot answer for.

When you put them in anti-parallel, the equivalent capacitance is 4 times than when they are placed in series. So the test voltage across the cap is 4 times smaller. I would expect that it indeed drastically lowers distortion.
Four times lower is 12dB less.

Jan

All else same, load changed to 1k5 and only one tantalum capacitor 4u7. High pass filter with 23Hz -3dB frequency corner. Yes, now we can see something. But everyone would make a LF corner somewhere at 1Hz - 2Hz, and then, no distortion even with tantalum. Myth disproved. Parallel x series explained by Jan.

P.S.: comparison with 2 x 4u7 back-to-back added. See H2 reduction.

Attachments

• 4u7_tantal_1k5.PNG
    4u7_tantal_1k5.PNG
    39.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 4u7_tantal_ser_1k5.PNG
    4u7_tantal_ser_1k5.PNG
    38.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
4 x higher capacitance than for series connection. Already explained by Jan. (Change load to 82 ohm for parallel).
Look at the voltages across the individual caps they are practically identical for the series and anti-parallel cases. I have chosen the 330 ohm for precisely that reason.

Are you sure that your test equipment doesn't have an internal coupling capacitor: your measurements yield much lower absolute THD levels than mine anyway, and apart the fact that you used tantalum drops, there is no significant difference

You are showin a node voltage (resistor).
No
Plot capacitor voltage, phase shifts make difference. No simple amplitude addition here.
That is exactly what I have done: Look at the pic: the voltages are not absolute, they are of the form V(Nxyz, u)

How can that be - it appears to repeal Ohms' and a couple of other guys laws!
You should probably try to explain LTspice that it isn't allowed to make vectorial additions, just arithmetic ones...

I have to leave now, tonight I'll make some other measurements

LTSpice imports and exports .wav just fine - can use all of the waveform analysis tools on imported .wav from a external hardware experiment - perhaps Audacity for free playing of test .wav and capture of result
http://web.audacityteam.org/

for analysis I like the greater control you get with free MatLab workalikes - SciLab is the one I've used most so far
Home - Scilab

the cool kids now are ditching purpose designed math/scientific computing sw in favor of Python and the "SicPy" libs SciPy.org — SciPy.org

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.