John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Looking at Vda, above #66687;

Any portion of the original signal held in Cda cannot be released to the Rl (input of transistor amp) at the same time because of Rda. And, the voltage developed across RL depends on the Cda and Rda and the amount of time the signal is present.... to be 'soaked' up by Cda. And, in turn the value of Rl..... with a lower Rl, lower Vda is developed across it. The Vda waveform will partially depend on the waveform that created the charge.

THx-RNMarsh

I have to admire the tenacity with which people are fighting over precisely the words to use, and the mechanism which is responsible for non-perfect behaviour in capacitors, ;). Me, I'm dumb - either a particular capacitor affects the audible behaviour of the sound, or it doesn't. If it does, I toss it, and try another one - for some reason, getting a worthwhile result is a touch more important ... silly me, :).

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I have to admire the tenacity with which people are fighting over precisely the words to use, and the mechanism which is responsible for non-perfect behaviour in capacitors, ;). Me, I'm dumb - either a particular capacitor affects the audible behaviour of the sound, or it doesn't. If it does, I toss it, and try another one - for some reason, getting a worthwhile result is a touch more important ... silly me, :).

Well that is the bottom line for normal people. Even the cap makers dont go into the material chemistry ... just give the measured data for our apps. use.

So far, only V coeff of the C is in the running as the other source of 'distortion'.

THx-RNMarsh

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
One of the refs in that good DA paper of Kundert, [10] Desoer and Kuh, Basic Circuit Theory, was an attempt to introduce students to more generalized network elements, right from the start, including time-variant and nonlinear elements.

I have that book and it was helpful to a point, but I think it never caught on that much as a text. There was just no time to teach it all, for one. But it was unusually good in getting the basics across clearly.

Waly mentioned that my first important tests were 40 years ago, as if that made any difference, but I can still measure pretty well today. I am NOT going to redo a differential subtraction test that I did 30 years ago. YOU repeat the test (if you have the test equipment) and attempt to refute Walt and me. Go for it!

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Don't forget C vs f, ESR vs f, electrostriction...

They havent been forgotten.... just ignored..... though high esr has secondary bad effects. Dont intend to spend time on those. Just the distortion from DA.

I already said the esr has a dc and ac component... the ac starts to become significant at higher freqs..... generally speaking above audio. But the esr if high enough along with high current will lead to internal temp rise and temp has an affect on most every parameter - to more or less degree.

-RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I have to admire the tenacity with which people are fighting over precisely the words to use, and the mechanism which is responsible for non-perfect behavior in capacitors, .

Soon we will get someone saying distortion can only mean non-linearity. I use the word in original DA article as waveform distortion.

As I said before, I dont know if the measured 2H is 'real' or not real.... so i never talked about it and never published such DA affect.

A quantum droplet?

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Soon we will get someone saying distortion can only mean non-linearity. I use the word in original DA article as waveform distortion.

As I said before, I dont know if the measured 2H is 'real' or not real.... so i never talked about it and never published such.

THx-RNMarsh
I very specifically worry about non-linear distortion - linear doesn't bother me, especially because it is always fixable if one so chooses ...

One of the refs in that good DA paper of Kundert, [10] Desoer and Kuh, Basic Circuit Theory, was an attempt to introduce students to more generalized network elements, right from the start, including time-variant and nonlinear elements.

I have that book and it was helpful to a point, but I think it never caught on that much as a text. There was just no time to teach it all, for one. But it was unusually good in getting the basics across clearly.

So who was that "Big Bully" you mentioned yesterday?

se

Status
Not open for further replies.