John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought one of the greatest aspects of audio was the fact that it provided a chance for just about any approach to anything. The market would decide if it was right or wrong.

Sure, if you're just some dick-knocker.

But if you're passing yourself off as some authority who is engaging in real scientific work, making verifiable/falsifiable claims, you can't get off so easy. I'm just holding people to standards they try and mislead people into believing they adhere to. And if they can't demonstrate that they are, I call a spade a spade.

se

Richard,

I've seen one at Fry's and it looks interesting. At home here have a
1080 screen TV...one Vizio and a Samsung with the 120Hz and supposed
to go to 240Hz refresh. The Signals coming in never seem to meet the TVs
spec though....probably cost more if they did it right.

We got Uverse the only thing it seems to offer is more commercials
shoved down your throat and then you tube and other videos seem to
have the non display errors to them.

It comes with a virtual CO (central office) that doesn't work as good
at the real thing. If you try to go back kyou get screwed and can't get
good old
.ADSL any longer.

Baby girl is here fooling with puter.

Well I just lost that long explanation.
I get back to it when I remember it.

Did ya know I went to the DIYAudio site
and a hockey game broke out!

Capitals and Islanders....big fight at end of game.
Then the crowd is yelling ASCHE WHOLE ASCHE WHOLE.

too funny.

Looking forward to Chicago v. Nashville.

I have to ask, does anyone really miss their front teeth?

Last edited:
Sorry if I was not clear. RGB phosphors have a limited gamut and cannot reproduce all the colors in nature. The gamut for dyes in film and CMY inks are also different and though there is a lot of overlap there are different "forbidden" colors when going from one to the other. So IMO it is fair to allow for some personal tuning, I don't see why Frank went right to hyped-up and garish. For instance the spectrums of the dichroic filters used in color separation don't match the spertrums of the CMY inks. IIRC Aperture Labs in Switzerland, printed art and photography books in more than CMYK back even in the 70's.
Agreed. With live broadcasts it's interesting to see at times that gamut boundaries have been exceeded, by some step in the chain - I note it especially in the reds, say the fluoro style vests worn by emergency personnel, the colour hits a bump stop, and there is no detail in the garments. However, I'm not disturbed by that, I'm focused on the middle range where most of the detail in everyday life is, an outdoor scene with many greens, browns and light blues - my tuning is to extract maximum fidelity in that range.

With faces, the interesting effect is that it's easy to pick fake colour, a female presenter looks a bit wrong - and that's because she's using makeup over her whole face - you see the natural skin tone in the neck and below, and it makes it obvious how well the studio did the job of matching the tones. It's quite unsettling when they get a bit wrong, a ghost head on top of a normal body - or excessive caking of the stuff they use.

Last edited:
Or the base goes onto the shirt collar.

Not sure who replied about the filters.
I wasn't referring to camera filters but
filters in front of lighting that is used to
adjust the lighting that is already there.

Blue gels for use with the fluorescent (sp)
Pink or rose for use with the incandescent (sp).
I"ll try and see how much orange was in it,
but it wasn't an orange only gel.

Esperado's "everything is questionable" is a good segue for this industrial strength non sequitur I came across this morning. How adults in a modern society can be so bereft of the most basic faculties of logic and reason simply astounds me.

Skoff and Voodoo

se
I've now properly read that and, well, that tells me a lot about some of the people here - I would be interested in seeing a precise critique, listing every "mistake" in that piece of writing ...

I've now properly read that and, well, that tells me a lot about some of the people here - I would be interested in seeing a precise critique, listing every "mistake" in that piece of writing ...

Why? When the underlying premise is wrong, why do you also have to address all the various conclusions that are based on that flawed premise?

se

Status
Not open for further replies.