John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Funny we have two camps here, Pono - measurements don't matter, Benchmark - if it measures better it has to sound better. Those guys really threw in the kitchen sink, SMPS, class H, "current dumping", I have to behave now they cited me on the class H patent. ;)

There has always seemed to be those two camps. For myself, I dont like distortion if it can be designed out/minimized. Lower the better. ditto noise.
Some go to great lengths to use premium parts, over build in many ways and then use SE circuit, low power and or distortion that is far from the best that can be done.

The PONO sounds good; Compared to the iPOD portables. It allows many HD/HiRez file formats and higher bits/rate than the iPODs I have.... that alone helps the sound IMO. iPOD's have been measured at 0.5% and higher. But not as good as my own HPA or others and not as good as the Benchmark DAC. Most always if the distortion is above my threshold, I hear it. The PONO is not below that threshold. I told JC it sounded a little bit thick - probably high 2H in our telephone conversation before the Stereophile issue came out... good thing too so i dont have to spend time measuring it. If one of the new iPODs are much better than the PONO, I'll get it. But keep the PONO because of the unlimited memory I can use with it. Besides, I listened to lousy/high distortion iPODs for 18 hout flights... so the PONO is fine. But if I am to stream HD files to a receiver/DAC in the future, I hope something better comes along..... measurably and listening-wise.

The Benchmark PA seems to be capable of being well below my detection threshold under dynamic, complex music conditions. But the power is too low or borderline for my system and two of them is too expensive unless I can get an industry accommodation. Then I could bridge them. I'd also like to measure how much HF/rfi it might put out on the ac power line and what freqs. I would compare it to my own Blameless PA's.

With 24/96+ master source files and excellent ADC/DAC, mic preamps, and something like or similar to the BenchMark PA, one can truely say.... it is approaching a Blameless system. Just need another 0.1% knocked off the speakers/headphones and then it will just leave to Blame -- the recording producers.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
This one is for Richard, time for some new SSD drives for your music files.

Kingston unveils high-speed HyperX Predator PCIe SSD

Kingston unveils high-speed HyperX Predator PCIe SSD | ZDNet

Of course your music will sound so much better with this, no more lag on those 24/196 music files!

oooooh. I could listen to 10 HD music files all at the same time without a hickup. :)

Or process in real time... one HD 3-D sound field recording decoded.

Price isnt all that bad, either.

-RM

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As to cheap vibration sensors, the famous Greek audio George Ntanavaras, produced a kit for an accelerometer that works really nice. PM me if you are interested in his coordinates.

View attachment 473133

George Ntanavara’s original article:
http://audioxpress.com/article/Test-your-speakers-performance-with-this-do-it-yourself-measurement-system.html

He may still have some pcbs and front panels left:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/262944-pcb-anf-front-panel-accelerometer-preamplifier.html

George

Last edited:
Jan Didden put me on the track of this nifty bit of gear and I applaud George's effort to provide more information on it.

It is all very nice to discuss the virtues of different enclosure materials, like was done here recently, but without capability to measure, it's all gobbledygook.

This gizmo changes all that. It can be used pretty much with the same measurement suite you would use for acoustical measurements. Just attach the pick-up element with some blue tack on panel or cone, excite the system with the preferred measurement signal for the job, and unleash the full power of ARTA to get vibration profiles.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
bait

I continue to not get it, tonight I was listening to some recordings of old Nonesuch LP's that I made. The noise between tracks is inaudible even in headphones.

tumblr_njsgkenlml1tjq514o3_540.jpg

THx-RNMarsh

If you are going with electrolytics, go with NP electrolytics with a substantial voltage rating. I did measurements of distortion of electrolytics (in my book), and found that distortion of NP electrolytics designed for speaker crossovers is much, much lower that that of ordinary electroltyics. I do not recommend two polarized electrolytics back to back. Check out the Nichicon NP caps on DigiKey that were specifically designed for speaker crossovers. 10uF, 100V radial is a good choice for coupling. The voltage rating DOES make a difference. Don't use a low-voltage cap.

Cheers,
Bob

Yes , those Nichicon NP's are the best. Used for my DC blockers (220uf -50-63V) , I get nearly servo like offset.
Back to back lower voltage caps don't make the grade. Ultimate reliability ,
I'm still using some I had before I joined the forum !

I'm also using the Nichicon's in my CFA amps as blockers (470u/50V). Here
they see the increased current of the feedback - But I'm confident.

OS

Ostripper..... what page is the CFA amp schematic at ? Pcb available for them by someone, somewhere?

THx-RNMarsh

Yes , member Jwilhelm might have some "kypton C" boards (below 1).
They are real easy to get running - the one pictured was "born" over a
glass of fine wine. :D

The schema's are now in my signature (slewmaster/documents/kypton-C).
I'm working on full manuals for all of them , but building from the
schema is easy enough..

Then , you just need the output stage - powers supply (below 2).
Just "plug em' in" .... get to hear any forum design at 200W+.
There are still many extra output stages " in the wild" ask , and
you may receive.

None of these projects have had ANY complaints about performance -
either SQ or thermal. I just tested my bias , only .2mv from where I set it
over a month ago . Real HOT in tennessee today :eek: .

PS - I'm "revisiting" my whole FLAC collection on these different
modules now , some of the detail is astounding.

OS

Attachments

• KC.jpg
    KC.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 205
  • plug em' in.jpg
    plug em' in.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 203
OS,
I notice you have Valery's protection boards installed there, but the amazing thing is that you have the power supply caps right next to the input boards and you say it is dead quit at the speakers. After watching the contortions going on with the other thread about hum this is truly an amazing design. I just got off the phone with someone and we were talking about a Kickstarter or Indi-go-go campaign for my speaker design with your amplifier to go with it. Now I have to decide if I can really package it inside the speakers or if I should make the amp external and stand alone. I was running the prototypes on a H/K PM655 integrated amp through passive crossovers and you really could barely stay in the room, so I really have to be realistic about how much power I really need, perhaps the two pairs output would be more than enough with active xo's and eq. I am so glad I did not go the monolithic amp route after following this thread.

OS,
I notice you have Valery's protection boards installed there, but the amazing thing is that you have the power supply caps right next to the input boards and you say it is dead quit at the speakers. After watching the contortions going on with the other thread about hum this is truly an amazing design. I just got off the phone with someone and we were talking about a Kickstarter or Indi-go-go campaign for my speaker design with your amplifier to go with it. Now I have to decide if I can really package it inside the speakers or if I should make the amp external and stand alone. I was running the prototypes on a H/K PM655 integrated amp through passive crossovers and you really could barely stay in the room, so I really have to be realistic about how much power I really need, perhaps the two pairs output would be more than enough with active xo's and eq. I am so glad I did not go the monolithic amp route after following this thread.

The caps are about 65mm away from the input stages. The PS caps have very little radiated field compared with the trafo (s).

Comparatively , I can hear my HK680 - it's noisy at -100db.
My sources are way inferior to the amp - need better sources.

Edit - HK PM655 - sort of a POS ! -80db and a paltry 60W (1 pair OP's).
OS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.