John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I dont know what I am going to do with my 11,000 blues songs on 1100 CD's
THx-RNMarsh

Richard
Why do you feel the need for listening to Lead Belly, Howling Wolf and Co in HD format?

Should I start having second thoughts about Furtwaengler, Mitropoulos, Lanza, Gigli, Callas?

I mean it’s the ‘soul’, it’s the ‘feeling’, it’s the ‘blue’, it’s the ‘moment’.

George

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi gpapag --- I agree. I dont listen to really old time blues that much because the sound recordings are so terrible. But the newer Blues stuff on average OK and I like listening to good blues. It move me deep inside. Other forms of music is generally better recorded.... most of the HD down loads are selected for quality. I wouldnt buy an old crappy sounding recording in HD.
There are many other types of music i like which is well enough recorded. In fact, I like most anything if well done musically and it moves me. That is why I buy it.

Its so much better when I can listen to what I like and it sounds really good as well. Then it is great listening.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Noob Query :
Suppose we know "specific" equipments used in historical recordings (Tapes, Mics,) and know their (equipments) inherent problems and limitations Can the recordings be cleaned and improved upon "specifically" to that recording ? Kind of like forensic appraisal.
Regards.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Noob Query :
Suppose we know "specific" equipments used in historical recordings (Tapes, Mics,) and know their (equipments) inherent problems and limitations Can the recordings be cleaned and improved upon "specifically" to that recording ? Kind of like forensic appraisal.
Regards.

Yes and it has been done

AES E-Library Restoration of Old Acoustic Recordings By Means Of Digital Signal Processing
http://daniellevitin.com/levitinlab/articles/1994-Levitin-SignalParent.pdf

George
>Edit: Recording company Soundstream did it commercially for RCA in 1976

Attachments

• Enrico's recordings deconvolution.JPG
    Enrico's recordings deconvolution.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Enrico Caruso.JPG
    Enrico Caruso.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Looks like 24 bit playback system would be a step forward. Nit-picking..... specmanship at work... the dynamic range is at 0FS not -1. So the 'typical' value is actually a few dB's lower than -108. Just one of those little fudges manfr do to look equal/competitive. Its isnt much but they try to slip it by.

After the smoke clears and 24 bit is the better route to go.... dropping CD becomes the next step. I dont know what I am going to do with my 11,000 blues songs on 1100 CD's. Probably the same thing I did with LP's, tapes and cassettes (and Laser disk, VHS). Or, I'll keep a CD player around for a legacy music source.

Long live the CD!

Actually, as soon as I heard the 24 bit downloads and no disk player needed.... and I had got me a very good DAC, I havent bought a lesser sounding CD disk since.

My only remaining question is.... with very low cost 32/64 bit DSP here now and recordings done at those higher bits.... how many years until we have 32 bit HiRes downloads and I have a third legacy gear/software to let go of.

However, I wont have a wall of records or CD's and DVD's stored in physical space anymore. I've also stopped buying HD/3D movies on disk with the streaming HD downloads available to me. Did buy the UHD video Monitor (TV) because it looks much better.

THx-RNMarsh

Well with a 22KHz bandwidth and if you want the noise floor 28 bits down from peak you will have to dissipate up to 25 watts in the I/V resistor of an I/V D/A, same again in the Gain setting resitor of the Amplifier. If you want a 30 bit clean system it goes up to 400+ watts dissipated in the A/D converter...

digitizing

The Swiss banking aspect of Christian's initiative struck me as interesting.
Bespoke digitizing makes the startup self-financing, once a decent collection is available, paid downloads would supply the cash flow to enable further conversions at zero cost for the LP owner.

Same routine could work for upsampling (and/or a cleanup) of CDs.
'Digital' and the web may be the life savers of audio enthousiasm.

(Christian makes sure he's not forgotten, so I gathered from ETF emails :clown: )

Swiss banking aspect? He is not criminal!

I think, he does not make money this way.
His TT alone costs at least 6'000.- Swiss Franks, the Tonearm goes for 2'000.- and his MC another 5 grands at least. Further some additional gadgets for a few grands,.

Furthermore its realtime transfer costing a fortune in our country, so its a pure hobby for the fun.

In know him personally and i use the same TT, a swiss made tonarm and my MC is the big brother of his, twice the price and i do not digitize my records, cost me just time and makes no fun. I just listen my records and enjoy the music without waste of money and time .

<snip> But if you're willing to actually do an ears-only listening test, I will be delighted to set it up and run it for you when I'm next in the Bay Area.

The phrase "ears-only listening test" as presented numerous times is a misnomer par excellence.
"No peeking allowed" is fine, but the results are in no way per se better or more correct.

Our perception does not work in a linear manner and it is not guaranteed that something like "ears only listening" is possible as we can´t seperate (up to now) between hearing (which means the physiological reaction to an auditory stimulus) and listening (which means the combined response of the physiological reaction and "brain" to this auditory stimulus) .

Elimination of one (more) bias effect does not provide correct results as long as numerous other bias effects are still at work.

Without testing for correct results on an appropriate sensitivity niveau you do know next to nothing about the existence of a perceptible difference, beside the obvious one, namely that the difference might probably not be earthshaking.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jakob I agree that peeking is only one of many other possible (and probable) factors that can skew your listening perception. There's always the expectation that you will or will not be able to hear a difference (anxiety) etcetera, etcetara.

Yet, noting that nothing is this world is ideal, but that we try to get as close as possible to that unreachable ideal, I suggest that shutting off the peeking mode makes a giant stride forward towards some sort of trustworthy test.
If you don't, you've lost before you even start.

Jan

Joined 2014
Paid Member
You are missing the point. If you cannot hear a difference 'blind', but prefer a certain sighted result and accept that it is YOUR bias that causes that preference, no one here is going to argue with you. It's when you deny bias and still claim your preference is easily audible that eyebrows are raised.

Status
Not open for further replies.