John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Kinder --- No, I dont expect that... just to levels that are below the tested and known audible thresholds(*). The 'appearance' that they do by specs and promoting seperate numbers which do not measure up when combined --- I think 32 bits will do it for just about any condition humanly possible. I would like someone to tell me it can be done with 3.3v IC's though. I have doubts. A good place to further use DSP.

I'll ref some work on this (*), later.

I understand that market forces will drive this ---

You can be driven by push or by pull. Waiting for a ground swell to show up and Then doing something is one way. The other is to do it, if you can, and then market it as a better product. A case in point --- No one was asking for HD flat screens to be developed.... they just went ahead and did it.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
BTW have either you or Dick done the Souza Band test, I don't think so failure is not an option. I really have to resist any comment on the numerology.
Once again, :rolleyes: - that track is a stitch up - the reverberant sound of the primary track would drown out a jackhammer, no-one is ever, ever going to hear the band ... :yawn:

Try doing the same test with some Satie piano piece as primary sound, and a Foofighters romp as the background - and then it might have some validity ...

Joined 2014
Paid Member
A case in point --- No one was asking for HD flat screens to be developed.... they just went ahead and did it.

THx-RNMarsh

I think you will find a lot of people were asking for exactly that. 4K and 3D were possibly not widely requested, but a high resolution screen you could hang on your wall certainly was. At least in countries with small living rooms....

You can be driven by push or by pull. Waiting for a ground swell to show up and Then doing something is one way.

THx-RNMarsh

There was a local Boston audiophile that actually posted that when SACD was released there would be a mass class action suit from everyone that bought CD's. Hang on the wall TV's were a no brainer. Replacing all your audio products with higher def versions has already jumped the shark where have you been?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
There was a local Boston audiophile that actually posted that when SACD was released there would be a mass class action suit from everyone that bought CD's. Hang on the wall TV's were a no brainer. Replacing all your audio products with higher def versions has already jumped the shark where have you been?

If you dont do it someone else will. Like Samsung or LG. I always try to stay up with the next best thing. With each upgrade the audio or video got better. Now we have Ultra HD. can you see an improvement? Most definitely. yet, when I had the best plasma I could find and Blue Ray players... I thought, it cant be better than this. but it is better. So I bought one for the Loft in Bangkok. Now the face recognition is very cool and a lot of other features. but really the picture is better. Was it because there was dissatisfaction with what we had? No.

When we go to 32 bit....maybe a cpu/dsp that will take two 16 bit bytes and make one word from it. Still backward compatible. It will be an improvement.

And, finally, here's from Burr-Brown:

View attachment dyn range 2.pdf

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
wrinkle....I would like to know.... what?

I dont use anything special for resistors and get very good measured and audible results. Dale works fine for me..... Not that i have gone ahead and tried every other brand (some at extream costs). Just there are more pressing issues. And, there are worse R's than Dale MFilms. Just sayin.

THx-RNMarsh

I was in a hurry, about to go up to bed last night, also lost the spreadsheet.

anyway if you decide upon how low you want the noise floor so that for example the total noise of the system is less than an LSB, and you have an I/V D/A or even looking at max power dissipated in the feedback resistor. decide upon the bandwidth that matters to you.

It turns out that the power ratio requires some serious dissipation to achieve that S/N ratio.

32 bits is mostly just wiggling below the noise. I cant see it being ever dseired for a playback system. Used internally for mastering yes, but as a deliverable medium, sorry I dont see it.

Wrinkle

The "Big Guys" should learn first how to handle mains related spectral components and their intermodulation in audio band

1113Concenfig03.jpg

Fig.3 Constellation Performance Centaur, spectrum of 1kHz sinewave, DC–1kHz, at 1W into 8 ohms, samples 1101130901 (blue) and 1101131902 (red) (linear frequency scale).

before starting to write here these fairy tales on 24-bit insufficiency.

Non-harmonic distortion is the key to sound differences.

Yes sorry, for deleting, just have the idea that no one really cares. you can point to objective huge differences and yet people just continue with a lot of blabble, trying to see thing from only one vertical perception. systems only work a a chain of elements, optimizing one may pull things in the wrong direction. If we fail to step back and ask ourselves important questions then we just keep eroding HiFi as a hobby.

Last edited:
Yes sorry, for deleting, just have the idea that no one really cares. you can point to objective huge differences and yet people just continue with a lot of blabble, trying to see thing from only one vertical perception. systems only work a a chain of elements, optimizing one may pull things in the wrong direction. If we fail to step back and ask ourselves important questions then we just keep eroding HiFi as a hobby.

I see no hobby from you; only pointer to Raidho speakers; extremely expensive speakers that only very few could afford. Website is full of gloss and blustery words.

This has been a Hobby for me for many many years, I don't have any business relations to this site, nor do I like many others use this forum to gather interest about our products. I refrain totally from talking or commenting on speakers, speakers is my professional life. I do care about our hobby and I really miss the days where people looked a little further than the next commercial hit. Seems like most R&D is how to make something similar, just a little cheaper, very few seem have any interest in pushing performance.

You have the wrong idea that no-one really cares. Some do it for professional reasons because they are professionaly engaged on audio products, others care for it because they simply want a better sound.

Personally, I am in a sort of of an in-between position. I make and sell power line filters, and because of that, I do not comment in that subject at all, except in the most general way, but no names, good or bad. I usually escape discussion by saying that some filter cleaning up the incoming power is better than none, but which one is best for you I have no idea, and I advise people never to buy before trying it out in their specific system.

My interest in analog power amplification comes from my experience which teaches me that fine specs are all well and fine, but that what I hear has very little with those specs. I have been let down by very expensive, almost exalted amps way too often, and I have been pleasantly surprised by cheap products I never expected it from.

Don't tell me you think Frank (Fas42) doesn't care?m Or Nigel Pearson? Or Demian Martin? Od John Curl? Or SY? Or Pavel Macura? Each may care in his own way and have his own approach to the matter, but these people DO care. Sure, we have quite a few good fights about it, we even violently disagree every now and then, but hey, that's why we are here, to compare views and argue points, if even we too often get lost in a maze of topics.

If you feel overlooked and/or misunderstood, perhaps you should review how you propose your point of view. Sometimes, we all assume too much and forget that others cannot read our minds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.