John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member

It should be pointed out that the article says
On the front-side of the pono PCB, the output section looks to be made up of discrete transistors laid out very symmetrically (I like that). Near the output is also a OPA4376 precision, low noise, low quiescent current operational amplifier.
so AKN was posting for effect. Of course just staring at lots of little black bugs on some FR4 just tells you there are lots of 'bits' there. More than one might expect even.

Has anyone done a SMD JC-2 clone I can put into my sansa CLIP to improve it?

3 - Solved! - it must be the servo! :D

Jan

I figured that, even the cell phone guys are using better op-amps. The latest gen uses a full low power ESS reference design outside the voice path as a separate music player path. I wonder if CH did just a discrete output stage or if the digital path includes the funky windowing stuff.

Last edited:

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
It should be pointed out that the article says so AKN was posting for effect. Of course just staring at lots of little black bugs on some FR4 just tells you there are lots of 'bits' there. More than one might expect even.

If I had read and looked more carefully...effect - yes :)

I find it interesting that OP-amps in HiFi gear is so controversial. 'High End' products cannot succeed if OP-amps is in the signal path, no matter achieved performance.
What music have not passed at least one OP-amp?

That was taken care of.

See, this is how it goes:

1 - Pono MUST be good because a) would Neil Young mislead us? and b) Charly Hansen lead his name to it;

2 - Then we find a 2V/uS, 0.95mA Iq class B opamp in the thing! How to rationalise that??

3 - Solved! - it must be the servo! :D

Jan

Jan I`m sure that you know for shure what`s the opamp for and how the audio output stage is made so you could allow yourself to be sarcastic?? After all it`s a simple player and it is a cost driven product I suppose I have no doubt that you or SY could do a better job yourselfs...

Last edited:
Have you listened to Dynamite Bill?

I hadn't, no.

Just did.

Like it.

Bought it.

Thanks!

I'd been meaning to sample his whole catalog but haven't got around to it. I just sampled the Knuckleball Suite album because of your recording the title track and OSS was my favorite cut off that album.

I'll sample the rest of his catalog when I get out from under all these cable back orders.

se

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Lately I have been using a BlueTooth receiver in my sunroom as a wireless link from my laptop PC to my B system (decentish Panasonic shelf system) and the sound is pretty darn good....to a point.
The wireless convenience is great, but the receiver is prone to placement issues.
The issues are the material that it is placed upon, not data transmission errors.
This ties in with the cd disc substrate/metallization materials sounds highlighted in above posts.

Dan.

You might have better success using the ac line for sending control/signal via something like ---
Netgear Powerline AV500. I have them set up for two Audio-Video systems....

One is from the Cable box into the ac line and picked up in another room --- if you buy the bandwidth from cable provider -- I stream HD/3D movies on Netflix. No wires to run and no wireless issues.

The other use for the AV500 is to control music content and volume remotely..... I bring up the software for my Auraliti PK100 on my computer. I control the PK100 which is in another room and which has the actual music content and DAconverter via the AV500. The I/O for the AV500 is via Ethernet connection.

I do add some distance for the ac line signal by using certain ferrites on each ac product connected to same line I am using for streaming/control. Works flawlessly in both apps.

Enjoy.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
What I see in the POMO is a first class design (for the money) with an 'approved' DAC (determined by listening), with an open loop I-V converter, of the highest quality possible. The sources will be as good as can be practically done in digital today, so it will be great to compare this with analog vinyl recordings. I already have an OPPO 105 with the same or similar DAC so the comparison should be interesting.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
What I see in the POMO is a first class design (for the money) with an 'approved' DAC (determined by listening), with an open loop I-V converter, of the highest quality possible. The sources will be as good as can be practically done in digital today, so it will be great to compare this with analog vinyl recordings. I already have an OPPO 105 with the same or similar DAC so the comparison should be interesting.

John, If you could--- get it/or one like it to me after you listen to it? Or better yet, visit me and listen here, also. If you can get transportation to Auburn. The bribe: I'll pick you up in the Bentley and Lisa will cook you something great with your choice of wines.

-RM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.